60 Minutes - Increase in gun sales show

They used the term "the loophole" which I took to mean that whoever put this piece together had pretty good understanding of the issue.

OTOH it may have just looked inconsistent to show everyone filling out yellow forms and doing BG checks and then start throwing around the term "gun show loophole". Guess I was impressed with the fact that they made up a new term to better describe it.

I prefer to see the glass half full....

Are you sure about that?
I'm sure I heard the word "loophole" used several times in that story.

They mistakenly, ignorantly (or deliberately), reported that the Oakland shooter used an "assault rifle" to kill 4 police officers when in fact the killer used an SKS.

I'm glad they also mentioned the fact that sales between (non-dealer) private individuals are legal under VA state law, as well as 30 other states. And such sales also occur in places away from gun shows such as private homes or right out of the trunks of cars.
This points out that banning gun shows will have no effect on legal sales of guns between private individuals.
So what exactly is the "gun show loophole"? if the sales are legal whether they take place at a gun show or somewhere else?

Last edited:
I found this response inconsistant with his previous comment on 20/20

Omar Samaha, whose 18-year-old sister Reema was killed that day, testified before Virginia lawmakers that he went to the Richmond gun show one day, and bought a dozen weapons in an hour, including an assault rifle and something else: "A Glock that was stronger than the one used to kill my sister."

He said he never had to show any identification.

And asked if he was asked for identification, Samaha said, "I was asked but I refused."

"So what happened?" Stahl asked.

"They either sold me the gun still or they said, 'Pay me 15 more dollars and I'll go without looking at your ID," he replied.

On 20/20 he said it cost $100 more to get a gun without an ID. On 60 Minutes he said he paid 15 more.

Either he's a liar, or a fool. Either way, he's trouble for law abiding gun owners.

I'm glad they also mentioned the fact that sales between (non-dealer) private individuals are legal under VA state law, as well as 30 other states. And such sales also occur in places away from gun shows such as private homes or right out of the trunks of cars.
This points out that banning gun shows will have no effect on legal sales of guns between private individuals.
So what exactly is the "gun show loophole"? if the sales are legal whether they take place at a gun show or somewhere else?

The sheriff also pointed out the number of out of state cars in the parking lot.

Unless anyone has never been to a gunshow before, the uninformed viewers will assume that they're there solely for the purpose of buying a gun to take it across state lines.

Not everyone who goes to a gun show is there to purchase firearms.

It could be for ammo, accessories, parts, beef jerky or simply there to look around, etc. All perfectly legal when crossing state lines

"They either sold me the gun still or they said, 'Pay me 15 more dollars and I'll go without looking at your ID," he replied.

This comment struck me as untrue. I'm wondering what he did with the guns. Furthermore if he's so concerned about these loopholes I'm sure he went to the authorities and prosecuted these sellers. NOT.

The sheriff also pointed out the number of out of state cars in the parking lot.

Unless anyone has never been to a gunshow before, the uninformed viewers will assume that they're there solely for the purpose of buying a gun to take it across state lines.

Not everyone who goes to a gun show is there to purchase firearms.

It could be for ammo, accessories, parts, beef jerky or simply there to look around, etc. All perfectly legal when crossing state lines

Or helpers for out of state dealers.

Or legally buying a long gun where the transaction is legal in both states...

Or buying a handgun to be transferred through an FFL in his home state....

But why spoil the beauty of an argument with facts? [wink]

Or legally buying a long gun where the transaction is legal in both states...

Or buying a handgun to be transferred through an FFL in his home state....

But why spoil the beauty of an argument with facts? [wink]
What about all those ne're-do-wells trying to entice gun sellers into illegal transactions and then not reporting their illegal purchase, those buying a gun illegally and complaining about it? Assuming they actually did - not sure I buy douchebag's story there...

Back
Top Bottom