60 Minutes - Increase in gun sales show

Here we go again!!! Another show, three days after the travesty from Diane Sawyer.

60 Minutes will discuss Sunday night April 12th the increase in gun sales. And of course the lovely Senator Feinstein will be interviewed as well.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/04/09/60minutes/main4931769.shtml

(CBS) The California senator who authored the nation's now-lapsed 1994 ban on assault weapons says she will hold off trying to renew that ban.

Dianne Feinstein (D.-Calif.) tells 60 Minutes correspondent Lesley Stahl that the political timing isn't right and she will move to renew the ban at a future time of her own choosing. Feinstein appears in Stahl's report on the increase in gun sales taking place in America to be broadcast this Sunday, April 12, at 7 p.m. ET/PT.

Asked by Stahl if trying to renew the assault weapons ban would start a culture war and pose a distraction for an already overburdened Obama Administration, Feinstein replies, "I agree with you." "So you are going to hold off?" asks Stahl. "That's correct. I'll pick the time and the place, no question about it," Feinstein tells Stahl.

But even if she pursued the renewal, the votes may not be there today in either the Senate or the House. Both Houses of Congress gained pro-gun Democrats this past election, some of whom won the support of the National Rifle Association. "I am not going to disagree with that at all," says Feinstein. "The National Rifle Association essentially has a stranglehold on the Congress."

Has Congressional leadership or anyone from the Obama administration influenced her decision to put off the fight for renewal of the assault weapons ban? "No. Nobody said a word to me," Feinstein tells Stahl.

Feinstein appears in Stahl's report on the increase of gun sales in America. Stahl talks to gun enthusiasts who tell her Americans are buying more guns now, in part, due to fear of impending social unrest as a result of the financial meltdown.

Philip Van Cleave, president of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, a pro-guns advocacy group, explains: "We're being told all the time that, ‘The economy could just collapse and we could fall into chaos.’ Well, chaos is a good reason to be able to protect yourself… You could imagine if we truly had a collapse of the economy and it was hard to find food, those that did manage to hang onto food-might…find themselves in a precarious position.'" Van Cleave tells Stahl the other main reason is fear of potential gun control under new President Barack Obama.

That liberal show has not been seen in my house for many years.

I can't see what good they would ever do for gun owners at any place in time.

It's WELL PAST time for news people to report news or end up like the Gun Grabbing Globe.

Report what's real or flip f***ing burgers. I don't care.

Why don't we pass a law that bans weapons bans?

A ban on bans.

Why hasn't anyone thought of this before?!

If I were the NRA I'd put 100% of the $ into lobbying for passing a ban on weapons bans.

Libtard: "Let's fight against all these guns!! Let's ban them!!!!!"
Non-Libtard: "I'm sorry... but gun bans have been banned."

[grin]

Last edited:
It's pretty apparent that Feinstein and her cronies will hold off on any dramatically restrictive new gun legislation only until their toadies in the media have sufficiently softened up the public with a relentless barrage of propaganda and misinformation.

It's clear that the polls are not on their side, but sentiment is close enough that they believe that that opinion can be shifted. And the liberal stooges in the pressrooms are already hard at work shaping, and shifting, opinion. Witness the recent 20-20 hit piece. There will be more, and it will be relentless.

We will lose this fight. It's only a question of when. They got Obama into the White House. They figure Americans will fall for anything. The people just need a little more ... softening up.

Funny thing. Ammo seems to be a bit scarce these days ... [thinking]

Yeah, Obama voters, liberal voters, all those infiltrator turds who post here are welcome. This isn't DU, or any such left wing outlet that eliminates contrary points of view. But to you liberal Obamabots, I hope you'll understand when I hock a big, gross louie right in your f***ing eye the very first time I see you. You wrecked our country. [angry]

I agree with theGringo. Just wait until there are few more psychopath shooting rampages, and a few more 20/20 and Nightline specials on how evil guns are, then you'll have your bans and confiscations.

Trust me. If history is any indication, this will happen. And the Great American Experiment will be over.

Why don't we pass a law that bans weapons bans?

A ban on bans.

Why hasn't anyone thought of this before?!
They did, more than 200 years ago - it's called the 2nd amendment... [thinking]

It is also the reason we are (were?) a Republic and not a Democracy so that the mob could not vote the summary execution of everyone who didn't agree with them...

That's where we are now - no matter how absurd, irrational and unconstitutional, if it gets 50.00001% it passes...

This isn't how it is supposed to be... [sad2]

We will lose this fight. It's only a question of when. They got Obama into the White House. They figure Americans will fall for anything. The people just need a little more ... softening up.

Funny thing. Ammo seems to be a bit scarce these days ... [thinking]

Yeah, Obama voters, liberal voters, all those infiltrator turds who post here are welcome. This isn't DU, or any such left wing outlet that eliminates contrary points of view. But to you liberal Obamabots, I hope you'll understand when I hock a big, gross louie right in your f***ing eye the very first time I see you. You wrecked our country. [angry]

Well said. I have held the opinion for some time that the America I grew up in is lost forever. I only hope that when the Libtards finally take it down that some real justice gets visited upon them when the opportunity arrives.
The Liberal Fascists may win in the end but it is our duty to make that victory painfully expensive to them.[angry]

"No. Nobody said a word to me," Feinstein tells Stahl.

Well, that pretty much sums up the whole situaton! It would be obvious to an afghani goat herder that Feinstein has had HUNDREDS of conversations with democratic law makers about an AWB in the past 6 months. If she can lie about something as simple as that, it just shows that she will lie about anything!

You can not negotiate with liars! They will tell you one thing and turn around an do another So there can be NO MIDDLE GROUND. Give in a little, and it will be a little more two months later, and a little more next year, and a little more....until we can not legally own a water pistol.

Nobody is going to cotton to someone like that messing with even a punctuation mark on the Constitution of the United States!

The amazing thing is that she does not get it! By her and her cronies making bold-faced lies over and over, she is painting herself into a corner where only bad can come of it.

Last edited:
IF things are the way they are now we may not be screwed. People have a short memory when it comes to their ability to make a living,buy a house and the other things that being American means.Myself I think the current administration is going to be a Jimmy Carter redo and we all know what happened to Jimmy.

enough with the defeatist attitude. They win ONLY IF you let them win!!!

Myself I think the current administration is going to be a Jimmy Carter redo and we all know what happened to Jimmy

Two good statements.
Obama hasn't impressed anyone. Most of his supporters aren't so quick to defend him anymore and He's losing credibility by the minute. Both here and abroad.
Because of Obama the demand for guns has increased. Not only with gun lovers but with liberals too! That shows a huge lack of faith in this government. I don't think that fact is lost on most people with a brain. Now the media is unwittingly fueling a run on guns. What could be better than that! I think our job here is to try and educate the masses on two points. 1) Automatic vs Semi-automatic 2) The fact that an AWB only impacts law abiding people.
One more thing. Now that the news is making this such a public issue, take some co-workers out shooting and let them get a taste for it. Then show them how to apply for a license. Liberal or not you'll likely convert a lot of them.

Short term course of action: join the NRA and GOAL.
Long term action: vote, do not get discouraged, continue voting, get all your family to vote, encourage everyone you know to vote.
Jim

I wasted an hour of my life watching the 20/20 piece and got nothing but pissed off for my time. I think I'll pass on this one and wait for the NES recap. I'm pretty sure it will be the same anti crap.

I emailed ABC about the 20/20 report with some "constructive" criticizm. I got the generic "thank you for your email but we cannot reply to every one" email back. Pretty much what I expected.

I'm no fan of conspiracy theories that grow like mushroom on the internet but also feel that it's no coincidence that on the heels of the 20/20 propaganda piece (suffered through it to see if there was any balance, found none) that 60 Minutes is also doing their bit.

Although, obviously, the 60 Minutes episode hasn't run yet, I'm guessing more of the same.

The underlying issue is that certain political groups are trying to sell the American public and, that increasingly small subset, the American voter, a bill of goods. The AWB and other measures to restrict our 2A civil rights have proven less than successful in the medium run. Successful in the short run, because certain measures in nationally and in Mass. have passed, medium length set backs at the polls - long run to be determined.

Neither side is going to give up and Heller has raised the stakes.

Back to the "bill of goods": they were whacked at the polls due to their arrogance. Now they are getting more clever: elect a few Trojan Horse, pro-2A civil rights candidates to gain the majority, soften their public (but not private) stance and finally, use what works to sell everything from soap to sham-wows, launch your media campaign.

At least Vince from the Shamwow commercial is up fron about it being a commercial. The real SHAM-WOW! is 20/20 and 60 Minutes posing as reporting.

Media Manipulation ...

... how they do it, and why:

Can we call him “Sir Beauchamp“?

Harold Evans has had a long and storied career as a publisher, journalist, and historian. He was editor of Great Britain’s Sunday Times for 14 years, has been editor-at-large for The Week since 2005, and has contributed to to other publications over a career spanning two centuries.

Evans’ books on history, The American Century in particular, have garnered popular and critical acclaim. He was the president and publisher of Random House trade group and still maintains a contributing editor position at U.S. News & World Report. In 2004, Evans was knighted for services to journalism.

In short, Sir Harold should be among the paragons of journalistic integrity.

Knowing this makes reading the blatant falsehoods in his most recent editorial all the more tragic.

Published in the Daily Beast — a relatively new online blog and news aggregator run by Evans’ wife, Tina Brown — “Accomplices to Murder” is a shrill rant against gun dealers, politicians, the National Rifle Association, and the American citizenry at large in the wake of mass shootings that have left dozens of Americans dead in recent days.

Sadly, Evans dives straight for the gutter, claiming that the “guilty” parties are “the gun dealers at flea markets and state shows who will sell any number of weapons to anyone — juveniles, criminals, nuts — without any background check or records.”

Few statements could be further from the truth.

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/the-daily-beast-chooses-nepotism-over-facts-in-anti-gun-rant/

Read the whole article. Daily Beast refuses to correct factual errors, and deletes critical comments in moderation.

ABCs Snitch-line

A while back, in another thread, I engaged in a paranoid fantasy of half-expecting that soon Acorn and other tools of the statist regime would begin a campaign of harrassment against gun owners (calling in "man with a gun" reports, anonymously reporting "threats" ... ) and the targets might be anyone seen with a gun case, or entering or leaving a range, or anyone writing pro-RKBA letters to the editor.

Wll, here's ABC, helping out; creating the mechanism for turning up the heat on gun owners:

Guns in America: More Information, Resources, How to Help
How to Report Gun Threats and Talk About Guns in the Home, Plus Learn About Organizations Working to Promote Gun Safety and Stop Gun Violence

April 8, 2009—

Learn more about guns in the home, gun violence and policy and how to help the people features in the "20/20" special "If I Only Had a Gun."

How to Anonymously Report Gun Threats and Talk About Guns in the Community:
To anonymously report a suspicion of a gun threat in your school, call 866-SPEAK-UP (1-866-773-2587)

PAX: For more information about how to talk to neighbors about guns in their home before your children visit go to the PAX web site or call 1.800.983.4275.
http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=7278669

Well, you know... it wasn't nearly as bad as the 20/20 show Friday night. The pro-gun side got at least as much air time in the segment, and alot of important points were mentioned - the 65 Dems who pledged NOT to sign a new AWB, for example.

There were the usual victims on display, and puffy Ms Feinstein, but there wasn't the rabid anti-gun slant of the other night.

My 2 cents...

Last edited:
reasonable cast.

The kid they used in 20/20 on the 5K spending spree the other night I think had a discrepancy on 20/20 he said "I THINK" the dealer wanted $100 extra dollars to buy 2 guns without an ID.

On 60 minutes he said $15 without an ID...

Gotta say that the 60 Minutes report at least showed both sides of the argument. Yup there was some sensationalism. They showed pics of lots more .50 BMG rifles at the Virginia gun show than I've seen in my lifetime. Then there was Diane Feinstein.

But then you had the guy talking about the second amendment. Talking about having students armed on campus. Talking about how after the last AWB lots of politicians lost their jobs. And 60 Minutes agreed with his statements of fact.

It was more balanced than the 20/20 report. The 20/20 report was a smear campaign, not fair reporting.

I will give them some credit, compared to the 20/20 piece it seemed a bit more balanced. Also impressed that they didn't use the term "gun show loophole".

Interesting inconsistency that I noticed....the kid who lost his sister was in the 20/20 piece. On that show he said that it cost him $100 so the dealer would sell to him without identification. On 60 Minutes he said it was only $50. <------ EDIT: DAMMIT Weedwhacker we think too much alike!

Back
Top Bottom