50 bmg Kaboom

GFD that's a pretty good amount of blood.

often times used a hammer to close the bolt.

stupid is as stupid does--i hope they recover and learn their lesson when it comes to closing bolts with hammers at least.

Closing the bolt with the hammer is being disputed. Some say they saw it others are saying no way he used a hammer. It is hard to find good info about the 50 kabooms. People don't like to talk about it.

those guys at calguns.net are pretty ruthless! I just wasted 10 minutes of my live that I'll never get back reading the garbage those guys posted about the poor guy. Everyone is a smart@ss when hindsight kicks in. Jesus.

I guess it's called 'monday night quarterbacking'

Last edited:
those guys at calguns.net are pretty ruthless! I just wasted 10 minutes of my live that I'll never get back reading the garbage those guys posted about the poor guy. Everyone is a smart@ss when hindsight kicks in. Jesus.

The guys at fcsa.org are worse:(

Are there any actual updates in there or just carping? I would like to know what happened to the guy. And what really caused it since he does appear to be a reloader (who else marks the grains of powder on their brass....)

ETA: On second look, those may have been OAL sizes as well.

Last edited:
Are there any actual updates in there or just carping? I would like to know what happened to the guy. And what really caused it since he does appear to be a reloader (who else marks the grains of powder on their brass....)

there hasn't been a good reply yet from anyone directly involved that has any substance to it.

Trying to force a bolt closed is insanity. Especially if he was using a hammer.

However, this does reinforce the fact that I will always check the bolt face manually to ensure that the firing pin is retracted. This incident is rare but does happen - an ALS Windrunner had the same problem at a match last year with the same sort of result.

I just had an epiphany, which is that I do not want to own a .50 BMG, shoot a .50, or be anywhere near anyone else shooting one.

I just had an epiphany, which is that I do not want to own a .50 BMG, shoot a .50, or be anywhere near anyone else shooting one.

It may surprise you to know that this type of accident can happen with just about any firearm. It's just more publicized and more uncommon when it's a .50, so people like to gawk.

If I am correct that looks to be the firing pin coming out of the stock.That had to tickle has it slammed into his face.

IMG_0041.jpg

It probably is. It definitely looks like it was an OOB detonation. The bolt lugs are largely intact which indicates that they did not fail.

Trying to force a bolt closed is insanity. Especially if he was using a hammer.

However, this does reinforce the fact that I will always check the bolt face manually to ensure that the firing pin is retracted. This incident is rare but does happen - an ALS Windrunner had the same problem at a match last year with the same sort of result.
You talking about the one at the 2009 fcsa nationals?

I don't really get this. You could be injured by any rifle of significant power, a .50 isn't special in that regard.
Hint: This was "only" an M1A KBing....
http://www.thegunzone.com/m1akb.html
Great read - thanks... Something to keep in mind with both used firearms and deciding what to pay for parts/guns - you get what you pay for...

BTW - after you look at the pics - skip to the analysis of the barrel as the ultimate "cause" of the KB - poor metallurgical quality control on a "commercial" barrel of evidently unknown origin.
http://www.thegunzone.com/m1akb/762r.html

It's always a bad sign when there's a hammer in the range bag!

Really? There's one in mine, and I've used it. Not to close a bolt, but I've used it.

If for some reason you come into posession of one, I'll gladly take it off your hands.

Back
Top Bottom