5.7 mm Spitfire?

+1 for interesting, -1 for useful.
By the time you have it built, you could have gotten a pretty decent AR.
It is too destructive for small game and probably not accuarate enough, in a M1 carbine, for long range.
Whenever you consider a wildcat cartridge that is no longer popular, ask "Why?"
OTOH, if you're going to do the work yourself, why not?

I'd never heard of it before and figured it might be new. I was thinking it would have been a less expensive way to get a "varmint" rifle, but you are probably right. Also looked at .221 Fireball, .19 Badger, .19 Calhoon, .22 Hornet and .20 Vartag.

Looking for something smaller than .223 so it is quieter, but also quicker than the .22 Hornet.

The .30 Carbine still sounds interesting though. I hope the cheap surplus ones come out soon.

According to the 7th ed of Cartridges of the World, the 5.7mm Johnson or .22 Spitfire, was introduced in 1963 for the Johnson Guns version of the US M1 Carbine, and was later manufactured by Plainfield, in New Jersey. They list loads for the 40gr. bullet up to 3000fps. That would put it in the same class as the .218 Bee, and just a shade better than the .22 Hornet. You could equal the performance of the 5.7mm with the .22K-Hornet. I am somewhat prejudiced against the K-Hornet as I have never seen one that shot as well as the original .22 Hornet.
I keep a .22 Hornet around, mostly for nostalgic reasons, as I've not gone chuck hunting for 25 years. The cartridge was quite popular among varminters, until the late '70s. Now it is most often found in the collections of a few old farts. A lot of the earlier guns were various small actions rebarreled using the excellent quality Springfield or Winchester .22 rimfire barrels. Since these barrels have .221 bores, .221 jacketed bullets were once offered by all of the major component makers.
If you are looking for something just a shade better than the .22 Hornet, you might consider the wildcat .17 Hornet. I've been considering having a Ruger #1 rebarreled to .17 Hornet for many years, but it always seems to be on the other end of my priority list.

Check out the .19 Calhoon. It is a .22 Hornet necked down to .19. The .20 Vartarg is a .221 Fireball necked down to .20. Both are smallish, meaning quiet and longer lasting barrels. The intention is for coyote hunting primarily. I also heard the Remington is coming out with the .17 Fireball which is the .221 Fireball necked down to .17. It was also known as the .17 MachIV, but with minor dimensional differences.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom