5/44 Winchester Garand; Danish Return With Matched Stock

Hammer and .838 WRA front sight came yesterday. Had to use the hex screw I had as the new sight didn't have one. Two small packages in the mail today; assume one is the safety.

I also noticed the Wolff spring kit did not include the "hairpin" spring for the trigger housing. Not much of a kit - strictly the 'coil' springs only .

T

The safety came today so I rebuilt the trigger assembly. The trigger/hammer plunger was also +10% and nearly impossible to hold. I made the mistake of replacing the enbloc spring with a better looking left over as the Wolff kit did not come with one, and it was worse than what was in it - it barely popped the enbloc six inches out of the receiver. I had to rebuild it again with the original one that pops the enbloc out nearly two feet.

A few more parts to come in the mail and then we'll try it out again.

T

In the hobby, we have the term "Finned".

I now add the term "Daned".

I put the Winchester back together with Winchester parts and "Daned" it with a Danish Sling and coin. I added a .838" wide .709" tall Winchester front sight, Winchester Op-Rod, Winchester bolt, Winchester safety (dark) and hammer (dark). I had a Winchester trigger guard in my parts bin. One more Dane accessory on the way: a Korean War era M5A1 Utica bayonet, Danish Frog, and Danish Wooden Scabbard.

Hope to get back to the range when the weather clears to resight it.

T

Attachments

• DSCN6151.jpg
    DSCN6151.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN6150.jpg
    DSCN6150.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN6149.jpg
    DSCN6149.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN6152.jpg
    DSCN6152.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN6153.jpg
    DSCN6153.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN6154.jpg
    DSCN6154.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCN6158.jpg
    DSCN6158.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN6157.jpg
    DSCN6157.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN6155.jpg
    DSCN6155.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
In the hobby, we have the term "Finned".

I now add the term "Daned".

I put the Winchester back together with Winchester parts and "Daned" it with a Danish Sling and coin. I added a .838in. Winchester front sight, Winchester Op-Rod, Winchester bolt, Winchester safety (dark) and hammer (dark). I had a Winchester trigger guard in my parts bin. One more Dane accessory on the way: a Korean War era M5A1 Utica bayonet, Danish Frog, and Danish Wooden Scabbard.

Hope to get back to the range when the weather clears to resight it.

T
how tall was the original sight?

.728" - on the other thread. This one is 18.0mm or .709".

T

so a difference between .11 or .13 depending on which sight you had on this rifle ? so you should see a about a 1 to 1.5" ish change or 1 maybe 2 clicks.

Range trip, beautiful day; 63F, light clouds, moderate gusty wind. Theee enblocs of '69 HXP. Started left and low. Three clicks up, and centered rear sight pulled the shots to the black. Op-rod spring very strong; op-rod kept jumping its track every third round. When I was done I noticed the grease in the receiver channel was untouched and then saw the op-rod was off its track. I slipped it in and will check again at a later time as I have to go to the hospital and visit the critter. Wound up with about 8 clicks of elevation and reset the zero on the rear sight.

T

!?#* phone camera and upside down pics!

Attachments

• IMG_1718.jpg
    IMG_1718.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1719.jpg
    IMG_1719.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Range trip, beautiful day; 63F, light clouds, moderate gusty wind. Theee enblocs of '69 HXP. Started left and low. Three clicks up, and centered rear sight pulled the shots to the black. Op-rod spring very strong; op-rod kept jumping its track every third round. When I was done I noticed the grease in the receiver channel was untouched and then saw the op-rod was off its track. I slipped it in and will check again at a later time as I have to go to the hospital and visit the critter. Wound up with about 8 clicks of elevation and reset the zero on the rear sight.

T

!?#* phone camera and upside down pics!

might want to check the tab on the op rod....specs can be found on garand gear

Thinking on it, I don't think the Op-rod was in its track the first time either. The spring was so powerful I had to use a pair of pliers to get the follower into the bullet guide.
T

I'd never noticed the tab before. All my other Garand's naturally slipped into the groove. Seems OK now. I'll try again tomorrow, and bring another spring, nippers, and pliers.

Here's the Danish Frog and Scabbard. Turns out the M5A1 Bayonet does not fit the WW2 style scabbard as it has no cut out for the retaining latches. I'll return it and get a WW2 spec one.

This blade has been sharpened and has a vicious edge.

Nice little grouping in the black once things got settled. Hopefully I will pick up there tomorrow.

T

Attachments

• IMG_1719.jpg
    IMG_1719.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1718.jpg
    IMG_1718.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN6162.jpg
    DSCN6162.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Operating Rod Specifications

Piston Diameter: .5260 to .5253 (under .5245 calls for rejection)
Piston Thickness: .190 to .155
Tab/Lug Height: .320 to .317 (under .310 calls for rejection)
Tab/Lug Thickness: .100 to .095
Tab/Lug Width: .265 to .235
Tab/Lug Hang .070 to .055 This is important because it keep the rod from popping out of the track.

Operating Rod Specifications

Piston Diameter: .5260 to .5253 (under .5245 calls for rejection)
Piston Thickness: .190 to .155
Tab/Lug Height: .320 to .317 (under .310 calls for rejection)
Tab/Lug Thickness: .100 to .095
Tab/Lug Width: .265 to .235
Tab/Lug Hang .070 to .055 This is important because it keep the rod from popping out of the track.

No dice. I snipped a little less than a cm off the spring, but the op-rod jumped the track every other shot. I'll see if I can exchange it

T

No dice. I snipped a little less than a cm off the spring, but the op-rod jumped the track every other shot. I'll see if I can exchange it

T

snipping springs is not needed.....a op rod spring will not toss a op rod off track.... either op rod is bent, tab is worn or receiver is worn.

Didn't bother. I think it was bent a little laterally. I put the SA rod back in and it is snug against the receiver. The WRA rod rattled a little and moved side to side.

T

I've got one, also a Danish return (IIRC, 10/43 manufacture according to the serial number). Complete with VAR barrel.

Frosty, if you do it, you won't regret it, only lament not having done it earlier.

Nickle, you are a major league enabler.

I like that in a fellow NESer! [thumbsup]

Wolffe extra power op rd springs can cause short stroking. Maybe not with HXP which is alittle hotter but probably will with Lake City
Orion 7 and Garand Gear op rod springs are a much better choice. There is absolutly no reason to run extra power op rod springs

Wolffe extra power op rd springs can cause short stroking. Maybe not with HXP which is alittle hotter but probably will with Lake City
Orion 7 and Garand Gear op rod springs are a much better choice. There is absolutly no reason to run extra power op rod springs

I don't think the 10percent really does much for function... if anything it will make a marginal piston or gas cylinder show its face.
All in all though for what Wolff wantss for the op rod spring your better off buying a few from orion7 or garand gear....would not surprise me if Wolff made their springs though...

Back
Top Bottom