.460 S&W Magnum and .454 Casull Pistols Not Legal for Hunting?

I was reviewing some of the New Hampshire laws today and I noticed that the .460 S&W Magnum and .454 Casull calibers were not on the list pistols in New Hampshire approved for hunting deer. I'm considering lobbying my local State Reps to introduce legislation that would amend RSA 208.3 to include these calibers. I believe both of these rounds were designed for hunting large game as there primary purpose and deserve to be on the list. Does any one know of any reason why I might not want to lobby for these calibers to be added? Are ".460 S&W Magnum" and ".454 Casull" the proper names that we would want to see written in law?

208:3-d Pistols Permitted. – Pistols permitted under RSA 208:3, 3-a, 3-b, and 3-c shall include a .357 Magnum, 10mm Automatic, .41 Remington, .44 Magnum, .45 Long Colt, .480 Ruger, and .50 Magnum, provided that a pistol used for taking deer under this section shall be loaded with no more than 5 rounds of ammunition at any time.

Source
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XVIII/208/208-3-d.htm

I would suggest that you instead work to alter the RSA such that the calibers permitted be defined more on ballistics than by name. There are plenty of very powerful pistol calibers out there that are appropriate for deer.

I would suggest that you instead work to alter the RSA such that the calibers permitted be defined more on ballistics than by name. There are plenty of very powerful pistol calibers out there that are appropriate for deer.

That does make sense but it might also open up hunters to a requirement of having their pistols chronographed and potentially other grey areas. I'd prefer to just keep admending the current law when new calibers come out. If you have suggestions of other pistols calibers missing from the list that would be appropriate let me know.

I was reviewing some of the New Hampshire laws today and I noticed that the .460 S&W Magnum and .454 Casull calibers were not on the list pistols in New Hampshire approved for hunting deer. I'm considering lobbying my local State Reps to introduce legislation that would amend RSA 208.3 to include these calibers. I believe both of these rounds were designed for hunting large game as there primary purpose and deserve to be on the list. Does any one know of any reason why I might not want to lobby for these calibers to be added? Are ".460 S&W Magnum" and ".454 Casull" the proper names that we would want to see written in law?

Source
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XVIII/208/208-3-d.htm

Jason, did you get this filed?

I don't see anything in the LSRs.

call f & G because you can use a 480 and a 500 pistol, maybe the 460 wasn't well known when the rule was changed

Back
Top Bottom