• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

45lc vs 357 mag

headednorth

NES Member
Got the itch for a revolver (will be my first). Im looking at a Ruger Blackhawk in either 45lc or 357 mag. I like the what I call "cowboy" look, 7" barrel, etc. From the bit of research Ive done, looks like 45lc can be loaded anywhere from powder puff to approaching 44mag territory. Recoil is similar to 45acp, depending on load. 357 more snappy and more of a crack. 357 is cheaper also.

Anyone shoot both of these? Im curious as to what people like and dont like about either one. Seems 45lc runs around .40/rd with 357 running around .30. How hard is 45lc to find vs 357? (factory loads and reload components)

Im just looking to shoot paper and steel, no cowboy shoots or hunting.

Thanks

I have dozens of revolvers in every caliber that you can name.
I shoot more .357/.38 Spl than any other caliber.
Thousands of rounds every year.
Been doing it since the 60s.

If I could have only one handgun, it would certainly be a .357 revolver.
The closer that you can get to a 5-1/2" barrel, the better it will serve you.

I just finished loading a bunch of ammo with 140 gr. TC bullets. Cost is 12 cents/rd ($6 per box)

That is about what .22 ammo is selling for these days.

Jack

If you don't reload get the 357, 45lc is pricey and with the 357 you have the 38sp option, which comes in real handy.
Don't get me wrong I love the 45lc I shoot it in my 454 Casull a lot, you just wont shoot it as much as if you had the 357.

Dean

If you don't reload get the 357, 45lc is pricey and with the 357 you have the 38sp option, which comes in real handy.
Don't get me wrong I love the 45lc I shoot it in my 454 Casull a lot, you just wont shoot it as much as if you had the 357.

Dean

Pretty much everything I was going to say +1

I shoot 357 mag A LOT. Probably my favorite caliber to reload and shoot. No experience with the blackhawk as I shoot 357 from my Ruger GP100 and Coonan 1911. My full house magnum loads with a 158 gr JHP/JSP runs me about 18 cents to reload. If I use a plated bullet it drops a bit more. Though my source on JHPs has been sold out since last summer. Plenty of sources for plated of course.

So 357 would be my vote hands down.

Last edited:
+1
If you're not reloading go for the 357.
Make sure if you plan on hot loads for the 45 that you have the large frame gun. If you like the cowboy look and buy into the Vaquero which is the fixed sight model which is way more cowboy you could get a big surprise with Ruger only loads in the new smaller frame.

Seems like you might be reloading. If you do that you can find 38 brass all day long and cheap. 357 can be had but harder to find floating around the forums. Usually that stuff is hoarded and you have to buy range brass or new stuff online.

45 colt is like hens teeth with no cheaper alternative like 357-38 special.
Bite the bullet and find a way to order 1000 cases and be done with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The closer that you can get to a 5-1/2" barrel, the better it will serve you.

Why is that?

Make sure if you plan on hot loads for the 45 that you have the large frame gun. If you like the cowboy look and buy into the Vaquero which is the fixed sight model which is way more cowboy you could get a big surprise with Ruger only loads in the new smaller frame.

My understanding is the Blackhawk is ok for Ruger only loads.

Seems like you might be reloading. If you do that you can find 38 brass all day long and cheap. 357 can be had but harder to find floating around the forums. Usually that stuff is hoarded and you have to buy range brass or new stuff online.

I do reload, but not for any these calibers. My thinking is regardless of what caliber I go with, I'd buy loaded ammo, shoot it and reload the brass rather than buying new brass and loading it up. Figuring I get to use the ammo initially, then re-use the brass rather than just buying the brass. Is that not the right way to look at it? Is the 45lc ammo that hard to come by? I dont recall seeing it on the shelves anywhere, but I was never looking for it either, so maybe I just never noticed.

Not sure why, but I was kind of leaning towards the 45lc, but it seems the consensus is solidly 357/38. Maybe I'll have to go with a Blackhawk and a GP100. (Oy...)To tell the truth, I was expecting the default NES answer, "Get both.", lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Same message as above. Unless you reload 45lc you'll be spending a lot to shoot that revolver.

I reload so whichever caliber I go with, I'll be tooling up and reloading it.

I received tons of 45LC components for free so I went with a 45LC cowboy gun with 7.5" barrel! Easy decisions. Fun gun to shoot.

I received tons of 45LC components for free so I went with a 45LC cowboy gun with 7.5" barrel! Easy decisions. Fun gun to shoot.

Nice score. To be honest, I'd like a Colt SAA. Love the look, color case hardening, 7" barrel etc. Seem to be hard to come by and probably out of my price range anyway. The 45lc seems like the traditional round for that type of gun to me. Maybe thats why I was leaning that way.

The blackhawk/vaquero will have better balance with the 5 1/2" barrel when shooting off hand. Longer is more for shooting off bags, IMHO...

Anyone shoot both of these? Im curious as to what people like and dont like about either one.

If I was still on the fence when July comes around, I'd head over to the free Ruger Shoot at Monadnock on July 11 and try them all.

http://events.mrgci.com/cgi-bin/mrg...endarName=MRGC&Date=2015/7/11&ID=1037&Source=

That being said. I only own a beautiful S&W 686+ .357, 7" barrel, unfluted cylinder and I went last year to the Ruger shoot to compare. Honestly I didn't notice much of a difference between 357, 44, and 45LC. It wasn't until I went 480 that I was like... wow... that was a step up.

So I'd go with the option with the cheaper and easier to find ammo if you're floating between 357 and 45LC. Go with 357.

Why is that?.....

The .357 Magnum was designed to perform best with a barrel about 5.5" long. We have a better choice of powders these days but the longer barrels still give best results. A longer sight radius is also easier to shoot well at typical hunting distance.
Finally, a heavier gun, like the Ruger Blackhawk or the S&W Highway Patrolman is a comfortable gun to shoot.

..... The 45lc seems like the traditional round for that type of gun to me. Maybe thats why I was leaning that way.

It's OK to have more than one.[smile]

pickone-vi.jpg

a lot of places don't stock 45 colt ammo. maybe the odd cowboy loading which is kinda anemic sometimes. i'm loading for 3 guns in 45 colt right now and using up some old batches of powder in the process, all with the same bullet, missouri bullet co. 255gr "elmer k", .252" dia. i'm trying their hi tek coated bullets at the moment but that adds to the cost. i load mine pretty zippy. i have a redhawk 45 colt/45 acp revolver i like to play with and when i put full house 45 acp loads in after shooting the 45 colt, it reminds me of shooting a .22...only a giant one. my other 2 guns are a 45 blackhawk convertible 4 5/8" bbl and a 45 colt t/c 10" bbl. this is a 45 only barrel, not the 410 conversion one. all 3 can really take a pounding with full house loadings. this is a fun caliber to range play with. i have a scope on the t/c barrel and will take it to 100 yards sometimes.

i have no interest with .357 right now but do have a blackhawk i intend on taking out real soon to explore that caliber. i'm just enjoying the 45 colt now.

the only thing i wanted to tell you is if cost is a factor, just go with whats cheaper to shoot. shooting is about the only thing that drains my money. i like doing it and i don't skimp on it.

I do reload, but not for any these calibers. My thinking is regardless of what caliber I go with, I'd buy loaded ammo, shoot it and reload the brass rather than buying new brass and loading it up. Figuring I get to use the ammo initially, then re-use the brass rather than just buying the brass. Is that not the right way to look at it? Is the 45lc ammo that hard to come by? I dont recall seeing it on the shelves anywhere, but I was never looking for it either, so maybe I just never noticed.

Thats what I did when I got my Ruger super redhawk 44. Though it got old/expensive paying $30-$40 per box so I quickly bit the bullet and bought new starline brass. New 45 colt brass runs aboit 18-20 cents shipped. Cheapest factory ammo I could find is the cowboy action lead loads for like $25-$30 a box shipped. But those are very anemic smoky rounds (if that matters to you).

Oh and get both! Lol. If you ever want to shoot my GP100 let me know.

Thats what I did when I got my Ruger super redhawk 44. Though it got old/expensive paying $30-$40 per box so I quickly bit the bullet and bought new starline brass. New 45 colt brass runs aboit 18-20 cents shipped. Cheapest factory ammo I could find is the cowboy action lead loads for like $25-$30 a box shipped. But those are very anemic smoky rounds (if that matters to you).

Oh and get both! Lol. If you ever want to shoot my GP100 let me know.

Youre right about buying the cases I think. Did the numbers and even with paying for new cases it still is roughly half the cost per round of factory ammo. Dont even egg me on about buying both. Im seriously considering it and I shouldnt be.[laugh]

One other thing to keep in mind.

Many revolvers Ruger offers in .45 LC can also be had as a "convertible", with a second, .45ACP cylinder.

I have one of these and its great. I load .45 ACP by the bucket and brass is free.

If you don't already reload .45 ACP, I'd get the .357 since the bullets are cheaper and you can scrounge .38 or .357 brass at the range. You will have to buy .45 LC brass.

Don

Back
Top Bottom