.458 SOCOM build

I recently built this beast, .458 SOCOM.

Started with a Bushmaster stripped lower, installed DPMS parts kit & ALG ACT trigger group. Added the Ace skeleton stock & Diamondhead flip-up sights. The upper is a Radical Firearms flat top with hybrid quadrail, BCM Gun Fighter charging handle, forward assist, dust cover & muzzle brake. Also got a couple of 40rd Magpul magazines which hold 12rds of .458. I got the ammo from SBR and i was even able to grab a box of hollow points as well. Let me know what you all think!!

FB_IMG_1453393131710_zpsxxu2c25z.jpg

FB_IMG_1453393136776_zps3wpzmjc7.jpg

FB_IMG_1453393155170_zpsxn5qyyr2.jpg

FB_IMG_1453393166044_zpsjitsdwfv.jpg

20150826_110113_zpsybhykijg.jpg

yeah this isn't really the type of gun you build to go blow off tons of rounds at the range....a box of 20 FMJ cost about $50-60, and I am not wealthy enough to go shoot $500 worth of ammo in 1 day. I keep the mags loaded with hollow points on standby for home defense. Not that I would say its a perfectly ideal home defense weapon, but if needed it will def stop someone in their tracks.

it kicks like an S.O.B. & feeds perfectly....I did have to modify the mags slightly for the FMJ's to feed/fit properly. The magpuls have a little tab at the top, on the inside lip, which I had to file down so the FMJ's would fit.

Nice! But you're pissing me off with those nice P-Mags. [laugh] I guess if I had '10 round .458 SOCOM' mags I would be GTG in Mass. I'd need the properly marked floor plate and the single-stack follower. I just use my ugly pre-bans and will probably continue to do so until I leave Mass.

I built a similar lower (NES group buy) for a Radical upper and have shot a ton of ammo through my rifle. Radical upper has been flawless & based on my own experience highly recommend it. Seems to be quite accurate too. Recently took a buddy of mine who is full time Guard to the range to try something a little beefier than 5.56- he loved it.

Note the 'ton of ammo' is possible via reloading. I worked up a couple loads for Hornady 325 gr FTX's and 300 gr HP's. The HP's actually feed quite well and are stupid fun at the range. Medium to small size pumpkins were splattered at the NES Pumpkin Blast. Way more impressive than OO buckshot. The loads I'm using seem to be very easy on the brass also. Found the HP's on sale so if the brass lasts 8 or so reloads I'm close to 50-60 cents cost per round.

Here's my loads vs. a .223:

socom vs 223.jpg

And here's a recovered HP from the sand berm. You can see how the lead splattered to one side due to the angle of the berm:

socom recovered1.JPG socom recovered2.JPG

That's a nice build and you will have great fun shooting it.[cheers]

How is the quality of the radical firearms upper? I have been contemplating using them for builds.

I would have to agree with Mountain, the quality of the Radical upper really impressed me. Once I dialed in the sights the rifle was pretty dead on. It also had a lot of weight to it, very solid, I guess due to the larger barrel. It feeds perfectly as well.

As to the p-mags.....yes it is wonderful living in RI where I got those for $16/ea shipped to my door. And no assault weapons ban to comply with either. I'm in the process of applying for my CCW in RI now, hopefully I can retain my right to carry in this state which would be great. I had my MA LTC for 11 years unrestricted.

I have never shot .50 Beowolf....I used just a standard buffer spring as I read that heavier buffer springs can sometimes cause mis-feeds by not allowing the bolt to retract all the way back. Everything runs smoothly the way I have it so I am happy. But like I said, can't comment on recoil vs. the Beowolf.

Back
Top Bottom