• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.45 GAP , your opinion on the round.

So ive been wanting to move up caliber from 9mm to the 45 , looked at a glock 21 and 36, didnt like either . Nor would i like the 30, but then i hear about the glock 39 and the others in 45 GAP. Just as small as my 26 i love to shoot.

I know 45GAP is usually 10 dollars more than 45ACP. Do any of you like the round and do you think its worth it to get a gun in that caliber. How does it shoot. Im mostly interested in the compact/ subcompact 45 GAP offering in the glock line up,

Though weedwacker got me interested in non glock offerings for the 45ACP

Have to shoot them all though before i pick a 45 . Any suggestions ?

Why do you feel you need to "move up" in caliber? With modern hollowpoint ammo, the difference in terminal ballistics isn't that much. 45 increases your ammo cost, reduces capacity and/or makes the gun huge, and is harder to shoot. If i were you, I'd stick with the g26. If you want to buy a new gun, maybe pick up a 17 or a 19?

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

The 36 is very close in size to the 26. Why don't you like the 30 or 36? A friend of mine has a 36 and I have a 26 and a 30. We looked closely at the size differences between them by eyeballing them side-by-side. The 36 is only ever so slightly larger than the 26, and not enough to feel the difference when you don't have both of them at once.

45 GAP has slightly better balistics than the 45ACP but only slightly and it depends on the loading of course. I've shot 45GAP and it didnt feel much different than the 45ACP but since it was a smaller frame gun it fit my hands better. Right now the ammo is more expensive compared to 45ACP so you have to keep that in mind. For the rounds itself, I can't say anything bad about it. I know three to five police departments moved to the 45GAP as their issued round, moving away from hi-cap 9s and 40s. I think though that 45ACP will be easier to find on store shelves than GAP so if you get a GAP then make sure you keep some stocked up incase the 2012 elections go south on us again...haha.

I held the 36 and the grip bothered my hand being to narrow it put odd pressure on my finngers.

The 39 being the same width as the 26 fits my hands well.

I own the 17 and love it too:) i just want to start expanding into 45's

The 30's grip and width on the slide is huge. And i feel i have to have a death grip on it to keep it stable.

Granted i held the xd 45 and it fit well for a 45ACP gun. So im open to the m&p, Xd's and i'll try just about anything

Motivator45GAP.jpg

If I was going with .45 it would be ACP. My preference - why spend the extra money and have it harder to find.

.45 GAP.... Completely and Utterly Worthless.

Stay away. And if someone offers you one, RUN, don't walk away. There is a reason they are trying to unload it, because they know it will become worthless eventually.

IMO it is Glock's biggest mistake, ever. Frankly the cartridge can't die fast enough for my taste. I think Glock just keeps it around because they don't want to give the impression they're abandoning their customers that bought the things.

The whole thing was more or less made obsolete the moment the XD .45 came out, and then Glock countered with the short frames, etc.

-Mike

Last edited:
atilla said:
.45 GAP - answer to a question Glock's fans asked.

No. Failbus. Glock owners didn't ask for it either. Glock fans wanted what eventually became the short frames and the Gen4s. The sales figures are living proof of that. I would bet there are more 21SF/30SF's sold alone than all the .45 GAP pistols ever manufactured.

-Mike

I have handful Glock handgun in my collection, but non of the glock chamber in 45GAP. I don't think I will own any 45GAP handgun. Here is a few reason.

1. Resell value for Glock 37,38,39.
2. Ammo is hard to find and expensive.

I would choose 10mm or 45acp. Both round are widely support.

My perspective on cartridges is this, I have no real interest in any of them that fall outside the standard, popular ones. Of the ones that do fall outside the standards (9mm, .45ACP, .40SW, .38 special, .357 Magnum, 5.56N, 7.62N, 7.62x39, etc) in some cases I'd buy into them if they became popular enough so that ammo was reasonably priced. .357 SIG and 6.8spc fall into this category for me.

Then there's .45GAP. I can't see what problems it solves, it's expensive and only one manufacturer makes a gun for it. It's pretty much the worst of all worlds.

If you insist on shooting obscure rounds, go for 10mm, the ammo will be around a bit longer than 45GAP.

I can't even call 45GAP an "orphan round" because nobody ever adopted it

Even I wouldn't own one

.45 GAP is completely pointless. Expensive. Hard to find. Destined to die. Skip it.
Yup ! Again, Have a XD Tactical and love it. Shoot single stack 45acp for USPSA and steel challenge matches but the XD is a great shooter, but in a different class. Any generation XD 45 would be a improvement over the GAP.

Alright, i will skip the GAP and try out the 30sf as my last resort on 45 cal glocks, i have no intrest in the 21sf unfortunatly.

Next up to try is an M&P compact 45 and xd 3.8 45c , hk45c, and Some others.

I learn from NES. I will never choose a caliber that's not on qmmo ammo list. [wink]

QB, I have both G30SF and G21SF. You're welcome to try it out.

So ive been wanting to move up caliber from 9mm to the 45 , looked at a glock 21 and 36, didnt like either . Nor would i like the 30, but then i hear about the glock 39 and the others in 45 GAP. Just as small as my 26 i love to shoot.

I know 45GAP is usually 10 dollars more than 45ACP. Do any of you like the round and do you think its worth it to get a gun in that caliber. How does it shoot. Im mostly interested in the compact/ subcompact 45 GAP offering in the glock line up,

Though weedwacker got me interested in non glock offerings for the 45ACP

Have to shoot them all though before i pick a 45 . Any suggestions ?

Sounds to me like you want a G66. Don't drink the .45 GAP cool aid. You'd be better served with 357Sig IMO if you want something exotic. I don't think you're underarmed with a 9mm.

Only by 1/16" measured front to back.
I did a comparison of a G23 and my G66 (G66= a G30SF frame with a G36 slide).

The measurements may not be all that different, but my Gen3 21SF is significantly more comfortable than a friend's gen2 20. I have huge hands and don't enjoy the full size 20/21 at all.

Back
Top Bottom