• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

45 Colt wadcutters

Why are there no 45 Colt wadcutter loads?

Is it too big to fly?

I get great accuracy out of my 38 with swaged HBWC's. It seems there should be the same ability with 45.

Maybe it's too hot.

45 Colt semi-wadcutters are usally 255gr and there's a lot of loads for them. Look at Handloads.com

I suppose semi wadcutters would be fine, as long as I get the right hardness.

Is there just no market for wadcutters in 45? I get crap accuracy out of my model 14 Smith with anything other than swaged hollow based wadcutters. I'm getting 7-10" groups (best) at 50 yards with factory or cast, but with swaged HBWC, I get 3" 10 shot groups.

I don't even have a 45 colt yet, but I would like to have the ability to work up a good accurate load for when I do.

For 38's and 357's, I like 148gr, .358 double ended wad cutters with 3.0grs of Red Dot, their very accurate. The ones I get have a lube groove at both ends so I roll crimp them there.

Some guys like to load them flush with a taper crimp and some guys like to roll crimp a little of the case over the ends.

I think that it's just a matter of personal choice on which way you load them.

For 45 Colt you can find 150gr to 300gr cast for making reloads.

Make sure you know exactly what diameter you need before you buy any cast bullet.

Last edited:
I have a model 14 and get good accuracy without using hollow base wadcutters. Maybe you should have the chambers checked to make sure they aren't too large for the bore. I can't find any load data or mold blocks for .45 wadcutters. When I cast my own, I use a Lyman 454190. I cast it from straight wheel weights and it's hard enough.

Do you shoot off hand or from a rest? Do you shoot with the open sights or a scope? I'll shoot a few groups on paper this weekend with lead and plated bullets and let you know how I do.

Very fancy,I'll do my best. I used to use Unique for most of my handgun loading,now I use Titegroup. The only problem I have with .45 Colt accuracy is when I shoot it out of a rifle. It's not as accurate as the same rifle in .44/40. I don't know why. I use the same primer,powder and bullet mfg.

Back
Top Bottom