45-70 vs 30.06

The 45-70 is a good bear gun. The '06 is a good everything gun.
45-70 is mainly in lever guns and the 06 in bolt. Advantage in bolt gun is easier to get an accurate gun with a good trigger.

If I was only going to have one rifle it would be '06. If I was going to only hunt bear I would do 45-70.

+1.
Very good advice.

.45-70 goes nicely from a bullberry barrel on my contender. Not sure I would do .30-06 from same fun. That's just me.

Please check the game law. I believe that Handguns are first season only. Unless it changed from previous years. FYI the rifle I use is a Rem 700 BDL in the good old 308 winch. Worked two years ago. :)

Please check the game law. I believe that Handguns are first season only. Unless it changed from previous years. FYI the rifle I use is a Rem 700 BDL in the good old 308 winch. Worked two years ago. :)
It changed, and they added shotgun the same time as deer.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Browning makes a lever action in 30.06. If it were that easy I would of pulled the trigger. My only hang up is penetration at under 100 yards. How far will the 30.06 travel if it goes through a bear. That's my hold up.and thanks for the revolver info, I wasn't sure about that part. I e read you can and can't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

a lot less than a miss.......

Browning makes a lever action in 30.06. If it were that easy I would of pulled the trigger. My only hang up is penetration at under 100 yards. How far will the 30.06 travel if it goes through a bear. That's my hold up.and thanks for the revolver info, I wasn't sure about that part. I e read you can and can't.

Re overpenetration: Rule 4. Know your target, and what lies beyond.

IMO a miss is worse. As for how far will a shoot-through go? Who knows? Where was the animal hit? Gut? Chest? Ass? Ear? Rule 4. Or don't shoot.

I wish I reloaded, I don't have a place to in my house.

a closet , stairwell, kitchen table..... there is no such thing as not having any space. I reload in the 32" between my HW tank and oil tank....sucks but gets done. before it was a press mounted to plywood and C clamped to kitchen table.
My buddy reloads on the back of truck. basically built one on this design. You could simply clamp a press anywhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_4ntvp6Up8

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree with there's always room. Someone has to want to do it though. If he's not interested he wont make room.
Once he starts paying for 45/70 he will find room to reload. Hahaha.
I was set up to size cast boolits. Single stage reloading and progressive for about 15 cartridges in a 24" deep 30" wide bench in a back hallway.
I could have done it with half the space I would have set up interchangeable base plates for mounting the presses.

Jimcor3. Not that its the best option but you might look into a lee loader for some plinking ammo. Talk about a space saver. Works very well for that big old case.

This guys is fast with one. https://youtu.be/UeEl9wZyabc

This is the 45/70 with a little more details and a little country bumpkin flare.

https://youtu.be/3duhNVjAu6E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to agree with there's always room. Someone has to want to do it though. If he's not interested he wont make room.
Once he starts paying for 45/70 he will find room to reload. Hahaha.
I was set up to size cast boolits. Single stage reloading and progressive for about 15 cartridges in a 24" deep 30" wide bench in a back hallway.
I could have done it with half the space I would have set up interchangeable base plates for mounting the presses.

Jimcor3. Not that its the best option but you might look into a lee loader for some plinking ammo. Talk about a space saver. Works very well for that big old case.

This guys is fast with one. https://youtu.be/UeEl9wZyabc

This is the 45/70 with a little more details and a little country bumpkin flare.

https://youtu.be/3duhNVjAu6E

I saw the prices and they are high. I'll save the cases and look at options for reloading. Thanks for the info.

No problem. If you get a lee loader let me know. I'll toss you some cast 405s to get started. That way you can load rounds for about 10 or 15 cents a piece depending on how hot you go.
The other nice thing about 45/70 is that they work perfect with cast as hot as you could stand shooting. Makes for much cheaper shooting.

No problem. If you get a lee loader let me know. I'll toss you some cast 405s to get started. That way you can load rounds for about 10 or 15 cents a piece depending on how hot you go.
The other nice thing about 45/70 is that they work perfect with cast as hot as you could stand shooting. Makes for much cheaper shooting.

Thank you, since starting this post I've had some offers to hunt brown bears and Buffalo on a reserve so I'm thinking the 45-70 is my better option. I have a 30-30 for deer and smaller game so a long range rifle will have to wait. Browning makes the BLR in some great Caliber so I'll start looking for one if I ever plan in hunting outside the brush.

Last edited:
Well I did it, I made my choice and will be picking it up this week.
249fe0c1dac388410f843975b18a328a.jpg

Thank you all for the input and insight. I will start putting away something each week to get my self a BLR in either .30-06 or .358 come tax time.

Excellent.
Tube fed centerfire guns like really blunt tipped ammo. Me, I would rather the 45-70.

Excellent.
Tube fed centerfire guns like really blunt tipped ammo. Me, I would rather the 45-70.
The BLR has a magazine so I can use any ammo. The 45-70 I'm using Hornady level revolution or Remington blunt tip

I bought a field guide Marlin in 45-70, it kicks like a mule, I reload it with IMR 4198, 350 berry plated bullets, it is fun to shoot, the iron sights sucks, I replaced them, hit Small plates at 100 yards standing with ease, accuracy is good. Fit and finish is total crap. Be prepared to cut you hand open on the sharp edges of the lever (seriously, bleeding on the gun) , trigger is sharp too, the brushed stainless is a wreck, it need a complete action job and reduced trigger spring. Once I addressed those issues, great gun, get a Henry unless you are capable of dealing with them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I bought a field guide Marlin in 45-70, it kicks like a mule, I reload it with IMR 4198, 350 berry plated bullets, it is fun to shoot, the iron sights sucks, I replaced them, hit Small plates at 100 yards standing with ease, accuracy is good. Fit and finish is total crap. Be prepared to cut you hand open on the sharp edges of the lever (seriously, bleeding on the gun) , trigger is sharp too, the brushed stainless is a wreck, it need a complete action job and reduced trigger spring. Once I addressed those issues, great gun, get a Henry unless you are capable of dealing with them.

That bad? When did you get yours?

Is is a pre or post buyout marlin? .... new or used. They have quality issues since they got bought. It more has to do with the factory moving i guess.

Is is a pre or post buyout marlin? .... new or used. They have quality issues since they got bought. It more has to do with the factory moving i guess.
Brand new, used pre Remington people are asking 1200 used

I have 2 45/70s a Browning 1885 and Shilioh Sharps,believe me two can be located near 458 win. Jacketed and cast for your Marlin will run from 300 to 400 gr any thing bigger will be too long to feed. Best powders are 3031,4198,Reloader 7,4227,and AA 5744. Did notice where you are but if you'd like to try firing a "buffalo rifle" feel free to pm me.

That bad? When did you get yours?
Got it last year, new, post buy out. Rubber but pad came with a giant chunk out of it, the replacement they sent wasn't even finished

Got it last year, new, post buy out. Rubber but pad came with a giant chunk out of it, the replacement they sent wasn't even finished

Thanks for the info, I will be looking the one I ordered over hard. With what you said and the the article i found last be looking for a lot. Guess bear season will have to wait another week.

Thanks for the info, I will be looking the one I ordered over hard. With what you said and the the article i found last be looking for a lot. Guess bear season will have to wait another week.

They just started a custom shop, hopefully they are finishing better

They just started a custom shop, hopefully they are finishing better

Thanks that's good to know. If they did start a custom shop and it functions I'll keep that in mind.

Back
Top Bottom