.43 Spanish

gerrycaruso

NES Member
I'm beginning to figure out this Remington rolling block in ,43 Spanish and I got an email from Midway that they're discontinuing .43 Spanish brass. There was a guy in Seymour Texas who made it but he died last year. Buffalo Arms and Track of the Wolf are out of stock and Bertram has apparently been sold to a US company who is still trying to comply with the ATF requirements. Roberson has it but for 7 bucks a case, I'll go elsewhere. I found 1 company that will have it next month and another who'll email me as soon as it comes in. Making it out of .348 Winchester requires more equipment than I have. Anyone have any thoughts?

That sir is dedication. I don't have any sources but knowing the volatility in this industry, I vote to pay the piper this round. Things change fast around here and you might regret it a month from now if you don't.

I guess a reloading press has insufficient power to squeeze .348 Winchester down to .43 Spanish. It apparently requires a hydraulic press capable of generating several tons of pressure. Then the rim has to be made thicker.

Looks like CastBoolits has a ton of info on it but it seems like it’s not cheap no matter what.
Some guys are claiming 45/90 necked down and you’re good to go

You may have it backwards. Case length would be .39" too short.
View attachment 483589View attachment 483590

It might be doable but the short neck would cause accuracy issues. I read that some guys did just that and it “worked” but wasn’t the best.
I think that’s common with 32-40 from 30/30 also. Short neck but it “works” IIRC.
Or maybe it was from 38-55 or something but either way.

As per our PM's Gerry, I haven't forgotten about you.
I'm closing up the winter beach house, then heading south to PA to shoot at Ridgway.
In Theory, I'll be back in NH the 1st week of June.
In theory :)

To make brass and or ammo there's a couple of basic steps to take.
We need to do a chamber cast and slug the bore.
It's easy and interesting.
I have all the "stuff"
Folk's here are welcome to come and watch.

Nick, how's those Square D's workin?

OK. I'm picking up more brass today and it should be back in stock in June so I'll get more. Slugging the bore on this rifle is a pain in the ass and I'd like to see how to make a chamber cast. I think the bore is slightly larger than the chamber but I've read that black powder can bump up an undersized bullet if it's soft lead. It seems to be true since this rifle shoots much better with black than with smokeless.
Gerry

Back
Top Bottom