.40 S&w wont chamber in Lone Wolf barrel

I bough an aftermarket Lone wolf barrel in hopes of reducing leading when shooting my reloaded rounds with ww casted bullets. In the factory Glock barrel (glock 23) The rounds drop in no problem. If I chamber a round in the aftermarket barrel it actually leaves a ring on the lead bullet like its impacted the rifled portion of the barrel and you have to really honk the slide back to get the round to eject. The OAL I was using is 1.135 which is max . 175 grain lead bullet 5.0 grains of winchester 231. Anyone else experience such problems?

Sounds like you need to seat them deaper. Go a little at a time until it doesn't contact the rifling, then work up your powder charge starting at the minimum load.

Is there any minimum length I should worry about? I am very green when it comes to reloading.
EDIT:just saw the min on my reloading sheet. 1.115

Last edited:
One cheater method is to taker the barrel out of the gun, try a round in the new barrel, it should seat flush with the barrel hood, try a factory round for reference. If the factory round seets too high, you need the chamber finish reamed. I can help with that.

Jake F, Just tried seating 2 of them deeper and it seems to have cured it. weird because I tried this a few days ago and it didn't seem to make much of a difference maybe it was just that piece of brass. Anyway it still is leaving a very slight quarter ring on opposite sides of the bullet but I can cycle them with ease so I guess it should be o.k. Thanks for the input Gred Derr, Factory rounds drop right into the chamber without problem I think its the bullets diameter that is ever so slightly bigger than the factory plated bullets. Even with my cheap calipers I can see the chamber on the new barrel is much tighter than the factory Glock barrel but just as unsupported which is depressing..

Still seems to be the bullet is the problem. For science I seated one way to deep and it drops into the barrel like a factory round. I swear you just cant seat them deep enough to chamber properly without going below min AOL.. I guess Ill look into a new bullet mold.

Lead bullets are larger in diameter than jacketed or plated, sometimes by as much a .005.

I'm noticing that when measuring my factory rounds but the diameter of my casts are .401 on the nose.Should I just call it good?

I had the same issue with my Glock 22 and a Storm Lake barrel. The barrel had to be reamed by a Gunsmith but I also had to start using a taper crimp die.

Curtis

Back
Top Bottom