.40 S&W bullets from 9mm cases

The concept is cool and everything, but it seems like an awful lot of work to end up with something only marginally better than cast bullets.

I understand that they're jacketed bullets. My point is that it takes a lot of added work, expense, and time to make what are still just essentially plinking bullets. Why not just shoot cast bullets instead?

I understand that they're jacketed bullets. My point is that it takes a lot of added work, expense, and time to make what are still just essentially plinking bullets. Why not just shoot cast bullets instead?

Agreed. Or, in the case of polygonal barrels that don't like lead, the Berry's bullets work just fine. While I agree that this is certainly an interesting idea, it seems like "The answer to the question no one asked". If you break out the economics, while there apparently is a savings (assuming you don't want to shoot lead to begin with), the "dollar per hour" charge that's placed on your time is way out-of-whack IMO.

I guess if you really wanted to make this a hobby, DIDN'T reload 9mm (or had a continuous supply of said brass), weren't concerned about premature wear/damage to your barrel(s) and trusted the accuracy and safety of these bullets...

It might be a good idea.

Maybe.

I dont see the benefit over cast. I think this is a neat idea and have been bouncing around buying a die but I cant see why when I can cast, lube and be done. If you want to shoot your Glock on the cheap with cast a replacement barrel is the same cost as the swage die.

I'll be shooting the .40's out of my Sig P229. I have tons of cast and plated 9mm bullets, but no cast .40's or plated .40's left. So, this is a good way to make up some bullets that are BETTER than cast, at little or no real additional cost.
The plan will be that I will make some hollow points as the project gets developed, and why not carry those for self defense??? These won't JUST be for plinking.

The plan will be that I will make some hollow points as the project gets developed, and why not carry those for self defense???

Because of the complete lack of testing of their terminal performance (except some guy on the internet that says they shoot great).

I had an idea about using all the scrap 9mm ALUMINUM cases that otherwise go off to the scrap metal dealer as the jackets for these .40 S&W bullets. I have had some of the folks over at Cast.Bullets.com suggest that aluminum would form aluminum oxides that would be too hard (sandpaper is made from aluminum oxide grit) on the bore.

What I find from some research is that the aluminum would otherwise be fine, except as discovered in Richard Corbin's, "Richard’s Bullet Swaging Handbook"

Chapter Six:
http://rceco.com/img/RSBook6.PDF
Aluminum and zinc have been tried for bullet jackets but generally haven’t worked very well. Both can leave considerable fouling that can be hard to remove. Aluminum is usually too soft so that it doesn’t hold the rifling as well as the harder jacket materials.
Zinc tends to leave a lumpy fouling that is moderately difficult to remove and zinc is somewhat brittle so that the jacket can crack and fold up on itself when spitzer bullets are made.

So, even before receiving the swaging tool set, I'm going to send the aluminum cases off to the scrap metal dealer.

Sticking with the WCC head stamped brass, which I have to start annealing.

Here's an update!

I finally got around to actually assembling some rounds, and test fired them.

They worked great! I'll be bringing my equipment and samples to the cast bullet workshop.

souptonuts.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom