40 Reasons For Gun Control

BTW, this is how people see it. A person who was killed by a criminal in automatically veiwed as a victim worth compassion. A person who killed a criminal when attacked is viewed as potentially dangerous. I guess in our culture turning another cheek is more popular that taking an eye for an eye.[sad]

I took an ethics class at a local college a couple years ago whcih was btw, an excellt class, even though I'd taken one before.

What amazed me was when we were discussing pacifism I was the only one who thought it was a bankrupt moral system.

The professor was the only one who backed me up, and here's the rub, she was a Jain, a pacifist Hindu sect from India. She said religion and ethics were separate things and she couldn't fault my logic.

The rest of the class were all horrified to think that self defense was the first and most important human right.

I can trace my family tree back to the early 1500's; this doesn't mean that I'm 500 years old. The US Bill of Rights traces many of its guarantees to the English Bill of Rights; this doesn't mean our Bill of Rights was adopted in 1688. The film "Throne of Blood" traces its theme to "Macbeth"; this does not mean that Shakespeare's plays were actually written by Akira Kurosawa.

Ken

KMaurer got it right. You can trace the history of a modern intercontinental ballistic missile back to the first primitive blackpowder rockets used in ancient China; it doesn't mean they are the same or equivalent.

I wonder if the Founding Fathers would equate our modern National Guard to their notion of a militia. I suspect they would point out some strong differences.

I wonder if the Founding Fathers would equate our modern National Guard to their notion of a militia. I suspect they would point out some strong differences.

They would balk at the federal provisions, but the state level would be recognizable from their own wording, not so much for their intent however.

The rest of the class were all horrified to think that self defense was the first and most important human right.

I would argue that your freedom from coercion is your most important human right with the right to defend yourself a corollary to that. I wish I was in that class with you. Must have been fun to see the looks on their faces!

And to the man who posted this, my god is it awesome. The anti-gun people are so hypocritical!

Back
Top Bottom