"40% of guns are sold without background checks"

milktree

NES Member
I hear that statistic spouted over and over, but I have no idea where it comes from, or how anyone could ever know how many sales are done outside of FFLs.

Is this just a magic made up number that can be magically reduced after executive action?

I hear that statistic spouted over and over, but I have no idea where it comes from, or how anyone could ever know how many sales are done outside of FFLs.

Is this just a magic made up number that can be magically reduced after executive action?

If the guns were not registered in the sale then how would they know that number? It's bs.

To the government, it doesn't matter what number it is that they make up. Their only objective is compiling a registry of guns and they have to start somewhere. If the .gov can force all transactions to go through an FFL, then they have their registry. They will be able to see which John Q. Public buys lots of guns and through "profiling" assume there is many more not in the registry. This is nothing more than graduated confiscation and massaging of the masses.
This is why Billary has to be the next president, to continue our countries march to oblivion. Either he goes full retard on firearms (or something else) or they hope to pass the torch to the witch. If not, they lose the movement and I don't think King O is going to allow that, he will go Ayers!

If I buy a gun in MA through a FTF transaction, does that count as a purchase without a background check? Afterall, presenting my LTC to the seller is proof that I've already passed a background check.

If I buy a gun in MA through a FTF transaction, does that count as a purchase without a background check? Afterall, presenting my LTC to the seller is proof that I've already passed a background check.

MA is the model that antis would like to see everywhere in the country, to be tightened from there.

MA is the model that antis would like to see everywhere in the country, to be tightened from there.

Compare it to CT; CT sucks worse.

Examples:
1) For EACH transaction an authorization number must be obtained from State Licensing and Firearms Unit;
(this includes both permit to permit transfers, FFL to permit transfers).
2) NO "assault rifles", other than "pre-ban", aka pre-1994 can be bought/sold/traded other than TO an FFL.
3) Magazine limits, 10 round max.
4) Registered "large capacity" magazines, and you can carry ONE downloaded to 10 IN your firearm, but another one loaded with anything is a crime.
5) Ammunition certificates

California, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York -- all leading the way in ... something... not sure what, but something.

Frankly I'm just sick and tired of it all. I've got representatives who don't represent me, a governor who continues to lie and spend money that we don't have, and a democratic majority that pass anti-gun laws that don't do anything except make life difficult for law-abiding gun owners.

The 16' POD containing my shop and garage was picked up Monday; my wife left Tuesday to do the walkthrough of the new house tomorrow; the movers arrive tomorrow, and I'm leaving early next week with my bike and guns in a trailer. Enough is enough. Warmer climate, lower cost of living, and a gun-friendly state while I'm still young enough to enjoy it.

Compare it to CT; CT sucks worse.

Examples:
1) For EACH transaction an authorization number must be obtained from State Licensing and Firearms Unit;
(this includes both permit to permit transfers, FFL to permit transfers).
2) NO "assault rifles", other than "pre-ban", aka pre-1994 can be bought/sold/traded other than TO an FFL.
3) Magazine limits, 10 round max.
4) Registered "large capacity" magazines, and you can carry ONE downloaded to 10 IN your firearm, but another one loaded with anything is a crime.
5) Ammunition certificates

California, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York -- all leading the way in ... something... not sure what, but something.

Frankly I'm just sick and tired of it all. I've got representatives who don't represent me, a governor who continues to lie and spend money that we don't have, and a democratic majority that pass anti-gun laws that don't do anything except make life difficult for law-abiding gun owners.

The 16' POD containing my shop and garage was picked up Monday; my wife left Tuesday to do the walkthrough of the new house tomorrow; the movers arrive tomorrow, and I'm leaving early next week with my bike and guns in a trailer. Enough is enough. Warmer climate, lower cost of living, and a gun-friendly state while I'm still young enough to enjoy it.

[cheers] Glad to hear it!

There IS NO "gunshow loophole" in MA.

In free states, free people can place an ad for an item, meet face-to-face & just exchange cash (or barter) for the gun, and that's the end of it. No papertrail. This is what drives the libs nuts, as the buyer *could* be a prohibited person.

In MA, all lawful sales must be between properly licensed people (validated w/ e-verify) and followed up with an E-FA-10. Big brother sees all.

There are worse situations than what we have to deal with. See CT, NY, CA, etc.

"40% of guns are sold without background checks"

This is true 50% of the time...

Not sure they GAF about the background check. When the seller turns in the FA-10, the gun is now registered. THIS is what they care about.

Why else would they require a background check for EVERY gun purchased? If you pass the background check once, shouldn't you be good to go? "Safety" and all the other propaganda the antis spew are NOT the reason for this. It is registration to facilitate future confiscation.

I really don't think the gun control crowd has some grand plan to confiscate guns. I don't think they have much of a plan at all, apart from Bloomberg's funding to get local control where it can pass.

There are a lot of people out there that are not comfortable with freedom -- probably most people. For example, if someone proposed ending the requirement of a drivers' license to operate a car, these same people would panic. We would hear all about how this would lead to death and injury, it would be chaos on the roads, etc., etc. That few of us can even remotely remember the stuff on our license test or driving test wouldn't matter to them, nor would the fact that plenty of people drive without a license. The fearful are not persuaded by actual risks or facts. They are driven by weakness and a need to be comforted by a greater power. In an increasingly sectarian society, that greater power is government. This is why illegal drugs are, well, illegal, and why prescription drugs are controlled -- even why you need a license to be a hairdresser. None of it affects reality, but it gives the weak and the fearful comfort. Somebody, they believe, is in charge, watching, and protecting them. This is their obsession with the gun show "loophole" and private sales in general. They want someone to play the role of overseer and protector. That's it. They know full well that none of this will stop illegal gun running, urban violence, or even the mass shootings they profess to care so much about. First, they want that control -- the feeling that someone else is in charge. Reality can wait. It always waits in the presence of weakness and fear.

As long as you do the EF-10A I believe covers your Background check.

One thing I remember from my College statistics course. You can make statistics say anything you want. It's all in how you set up your question(s) and the demographics you ask for input. This is still very true today.

Back
Top Bottom