38 vs 9mm

Just my two cents, for what it's actually worth. If you're going to carry a short barreled pistol, make sure you pick a heavy grain bullet rather than HPs and make sure you chose the short barrel because you simply can't conceal or comfortably carry a larger gun.

I'm oldish, female and have a damaged right arm... if you want to call me a pussy go right ahead.

I find 9mm much softer shooting than 38. I shoot 38 out of both a 642 and a 3 inch 686 with a Greg Derr trigger, and 9mm out of 92fs or 3913.

You cannot convince me that all the posts on this thread are from people with a disabled arm. If you have those concerns i get it.......but a full grown adult man with real balls shouldnot be worried about recoil out of a 9 mill or 38 special

IIs

You cannot convince me that all the posts on this thread are from people with a disabled arm. If you have those concerns i get it.......but a full grown adult man with real balls shouldnot be worried about recoil out of a 9 mill or 38 special

IIs
Please if you have nothing to add please refrain from posting

IIs

If my life depends on something (you know, like shooting a gun to defend my family and myself) I tend to care about stuff like recoil, among other things.

Just my two cents, for what it's actually worth. If you're going to carry a short barreled pistol, make sure you pick a heavy grain bullet rather than HPs and make sure you chose the short barrel because you simply can't conceal or comfortably carry a larger gun.
I tried to convince her to get a carbine but she want to be able to carry it. not that she ever leaves the house

Someone with a Ruger New Model Single Six Convertible could answer this, only way to tell is to shoot them both from the same platform.

I tried to convince her to get a carbine but she want to be able to carry it. not that she ever leaves the house

lol...it wasn't until I read your later posts that I saw this was for your mother in law. Only reason I mention the HP thing is that I've read and heard that you won't get the proper amount of expansion from hollow points with the reduced velocity from a short barreled pistol.

I realize this is slightly off topic, but make sure you get her some nice cushy grips. I'm not familiar with the grips that come on Charter arms revolvers, but the hard plastic ones that come on S&W revolvers do little to absorb recoil.

Have you considered a 32? If you reload, you can get her used to S&W long and then work up to hotter rounds. The 32 H&R mag is certainly a big step up from a 22.

IIs
Most answers on this thread didn't say a thing about being worried. They just stated subjective observations.

lol...it wasn't until I read your later posts that I saw this was for your mother in law. Only reason I mention the HP thing is that I've read and heard that you won't get the proper amount of expansion from hollow points with the reduced velocity from a short barreled pistol.

There is a very nice Speer Gold Dot bullet in 9mm made for short barrels and it performs very well. I wonder if they make one for the 38.

There are other ways to help with recoil too, see if the pistols she is considering has an option to buy with compensators. Aftermarket grips can help reduce felt recoil also.

Edit: Yes they make it for several calibers http://www.speer-ammo.com/ballistics/ammo.aspx just scroll to the bottom

Gold Dot Short Barrel Personal Protection
View Details Part Number Cartridge Bullet Wt. Bullet Type Box Count Usage
Detail 23611 9mm Luger +P 124 GDHP-SB 20 1
Detail 23921 38 Special +P 135 GDHP-SB 20 1
Detail 23917 357 Magnum 135 GDHP-SB 20 1
Detail 23974 40 S&W 180 GDHP-SB 20 1
Detail 23971 44 Magnum 200 GDHP-SB 20 1
Detail 23975 45 Auto 230 GDHP-SB 20 1

Last edited:
If my life depends on something (you know, like shooting a gun to defend my family and myself) I tend to care about stuff like recoil, among other things.

Yeah Yeah Yeah I get it. My point is the felt recoil of a 9mm or .38 special should be no problem in just about any platform for just about anyone that cares to defend themselves that is not disabled........hell my wife can put 4 in the chest and one in the head on a shilouette at 15 feet like a champ with her 642.

Yes I'm stirring the pot. You should all know that by now..........

Last edited:

IIs

Thanks for contributing.

Speer does make a short-barrel verison of their .38SPL. It is a +P round. Federal makes a standard pressure NYCLAD round. Was very popular in the 80s/90s, Federal discontinued it, then reintroduced it b/c of demand. Hard to find now.

I'll agree that aftermarked grips (fullsize) can make a huge difference with a revolver. The Pachmyr made all the difference for me.

Aloha

In my early 30's, I regularly squatted in excess of 400 lbs for multiple reps. You cannot convince me that all the people who can't do that are disabled. A full grown adult man with real balls should be able to squat no less than that. Let me know what side of the pussy fence you're on.

In my early 30's, I regularly squatted in excess of 400 lbs for multiple reps. You cannot convince me that all the people who can't do that are disabled. A full grown adult man with real balls should be able to squat no less than that. Let me know what side of the pussy fence you're on.

Not comparing apples to apples here. Squatting 400 pounds is an amazing accomplishment........shooting a 9mm or 38 special would be the equilivant of stooping over to tie my shoes. [rofl]

Hey come on guys you can't tell a little pot stirring when you see it. [pot]

Not comparing apples to apples here. Squatting 400 pounds is an amazing accomplishment........shooting a 9mm or 38 special would be the equilivant of stooping over to tie my shoes. [rofl]

Hey come on guys you can't tell a little pot stirring when you see it. [pot]

Damn, you rolled over too easy. [laugh]

Damn, you rolled over too easy. [laugh]

Yeah I'm in a mood today......it is what it is.........Alohadoug just neg repped me (wow my first neg rep ever)........sorry dude.......just busting balls is all.

My apologies to you too...I got suckered into that one...Dealing with trolls at work and my sarcasm meter is off...

To the OP - I apologize for the diversion.

If your sister is serious for your mom about a small framed revolver, I'd suggest a steel frame with pachmyr grips and the Federal Chief's Special rounds.

Aloha

My apologies to you too...I got suckered into that one...Dealing with trolls at work and my sarcasm meter is off...

To the OP - I apologize for the diversion.

If your sister is serious for your mom about a small framed revolver, I'd suggest a steel frame with pachmyr grips and the Federal Chief's Special rounds.

Aloha

No biggie.......group hugs all around! I personally like to have a little fun on a thread every now and then........to the OP........sorry I hijacked it I'll leave you alone. Hope you got the information you were looking for your sis.

Try not to shit up threads in GD.

Roger that boss.

TO the OP.......my story about my wife and her 642 is truth. A little practice and she can slam a shilouette with 130 grain 38 specials 4 in the chest and one in the head with speed and accuracy. SHes in her early 40s and average height and build and not at all an athlete if that helps you out any.

Last edited:
I have a S&W Airweight Ti (S&W 337) it sucks to shoot as its so light. However in a real firefight, recoil is the last thing I worry about. The first is ease of carry. Small and light for carry for me...

I have a S&W Airweight Ti (S&W 337) it sucks to shoot as its so light. However in a real firefight, recoil is the last thing I worry about. The first is ease of carry. Small and light for carry for me...

I think that problem is that his MIL would fire one practice round and walk away. I know that's how my wife is. Better to start small and work up.

Boghog, how will she be carrying it? She she can tolerate something heavier, you may consider a steel k frame or Ruger equivalent. I have a 2" Model 64 (38 special) which is delight to shoot compared to any j frame. In a purse, I don't think the weight difference will be that noticeable. (I'm not recommending purse carry, just acknowledging that's how many women prefer to carry).

I think that problem is that his MIL would fire one practice round and walk away. I know that's how my wife is. Better to start small and work up.

Boghog, how will she be carrying it? She she can tolerate something heavier, you may consider a steel k frame or Ruger equivalent. I have a 2" Model 64 (38 special) which is delight to shoot compared to any j frame. In a purse, I don't think the weight difference will be that noticeable. (I'm not recommending purse carry, just acknowledging that's how many women prefer to carry).
She wants to purse carry another thing I am trying to talk her out of doing, I have been looking for something in the full size for her. if the had the hand strength to rack the slide I would get her into a semi auto to help with the recoil. She used to shoot some 30 years ago and was pretty good but time has taken a toll on here hands

if you have concerns about her hand strength, what's her finger condition like (arthritis)? that might factor in weapon selection. Does she have the strength to smoothly pull the trigger on a revolver?

If she does have trouble with the trigger on the revolver, you may need to look at a semi anyways....

Have you tried her on a semi recently? Or had her try to work the slide on one of yours?

Aloha

if you have concerns about her hand strength, what's her finger condition like (arthritis)? that might factor in weapon selection. Does she have the strength to smoothly pull the trigger on a revolver?

If she does have trouble with the trigger on the revolver, you may need to look at a semi anyways....

Have you tried her on a semi recently? Or had her try to work the slide on one of yours?

Aloha

Trying to get her to the range but it will have to wait for spring unless I bring her to an indoor range, she has tried holding my glock and the brides M*P, I just want her to get some trigger time before pulling the trigger on a purchase

Back
Top Bottom