38 vs 9mm

Boghog1

NES Member
All things being equal which would have more felt recoil, assume the same weapon for example c 2" barrel revolver weighing in at 22oz 124/125 grain projectile federal factory loads

I'm interested to see what knowledgeable people say. If they had the same recoil in a revolver, I imagine the 9mm would have less perceived recoil since the semiauto action will reduce the recoil

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

The 686 with range .38 ammo out of a 4 inch barrel feels like harder recoiling than any of my 9mm SIGs with +P. Might be subjective tho.

Felt recoil is somewhat subjective.

I have damage to the ligaments in my thumbs so the recoil impluse from a semi auto can be quite painful. But with my S&W Md36, esp with Pachmyr grips, the recoil seems almost negigible.

I suspect that many others would argue the other way around.

Aloha

HAHAHAH, I knew it was only a matter of time before we would be comparing these 2.

See Old Glock 42 threads.

Please. the 380 is stupid and not worth comparing.

We are debating recoil of the 380 and the 9mm. Really??? HAHAHA

HAHAHAH, reading comprehension fail.

Unless I missed a /sarc tag in there somewhere.

[rofl] HAHAHAH, I knew it was only a matter of time before we would be comparing these 2.

Our wrist are getting weaker by the day.

When will we be seeing recoil threads about 22's???

HAHAH

Wat? .38 > .380.

[rofl] HAHAHAH, I knew it was only a matter of time before we would be comparing these 2.

HAHAH
When the cakes talk, the crumbles should shut up and listen.

The 686 with range .38 ammo out of a 4 inch barrel feels like harder recoiling than any of my 9mm SIGs with +P. Might be subjective tho.

That's interesting, I've experienced the total opposite.

Shooting .38 range ammo out of a 3" GP100 was comparable to 22LR out of my wife's Mark III. My Sigs have much more recoil and muzzle flip using 9mm range ammo as compared to the GP100 with .38 Spl.

HAHAH

Reading comprehension fail.

Now please be quiet while the big people are talking.

-Mike

The fact that this thread exists is absolute proof of the pussification of America.

Odd. For about a year I competed in IDPA using my 4" Model 66, shooting .38 Spcl. My reloads were about 120 PF -- more than most .38, less than some .38 +P. IMHO, they had almost no recoil at all. As you can see, my gun had almost no muzzle rise:

Of course, I think 9mm has almost no recoil in a fullsize gun either. For the record, I'm a recoil wuss.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's interesting, I've experienced the total opposite.

Shooting .38 range ammo out of a 3" GP100 was comparable to 22LR out of my wife's Mark III. My Sigs have much more recoil and muzzle flip using 9mm range ammo as compared to the GP100 with .38 Spl.

I agree, my 686 3" with .38 sp is like shooting 22 but my Sig P226 shooting 9 +P has much more recoil.

Last edited:
It is my subjective impression, that's all. I rented the 686(not a wheel gun person), and I had a box of .38 and one of .357. Maybe I confuse the two.

HAHAH

Last edited by a moderator:
All things being equal which would have more felt recoil, assume the same weapon for example c 2" barrel revolver weighing in at 22oz 124/125 grain projectile federal factory loads

Federal 9mm seems to have quite a bit more energy than the 125 grain Federal 38 special, so you'd expect the 9mm to have a bit more felt recoil.

- - - Updated - - -

The fact that this thread exists is absolute proof of the pussification of America.

Not sure about that. Might be proof that our reading comprehension and science skills are lacking.

HAHAH
Note, I am discussing 38 the rimmed cartridge not the 380 acp

I always feel more recoil out of a 38 than a 9mm. but a lot has to do w/ revolver vs semi.

But.. if F=MA,
then for approximations.
38 150grn* 1000fps = 150k
9mm 115grn* 1250fps= 143K

.357 is an entirely different animal than .38, especially when shooting a K or L frame. Much more blast, flash, report, and recoil. I can shoot .38 all day long, but .357? Not so much.

Yes my 68yo MIL is a whimp when it comes to recoil she is such a pussy, thanks for the insightful post

Given that your MIL is 68 years old, maybe a .380 or smaller wouldn't be a bad thing. I'm thinking about the recent successful home defense in Detroit, none of the bullets even hit the invaders and they fled. Pretty much any gun is going to make a loud and scary bang (from the point of view of a burglar).

Edit:

I know the thread is about .38 Special vs 9mm, just thinking out loud.

I always feel more recoil out of a 38 than a 9mm. but a lot has to do w/ revolver vs semi.

But.. if F=MA,
then for approximations.
38 150grn* 1000fps = 150k
9mm 115grn* 1250fps= 143K

Well F does equal MA, but doesn't really apply to kinetic energy (ke=1/2mv^2).

In any case, Federal has a very nice website with all the data you could want.

Energy for a 9mm 124gr Hydroshock is listed at 345, compared with 258 for 129gr 38+p.

Boghog, just out of curiosity why are you asking? It's rare to find a gun where you can choose between 38 and 9mm.

HAHAH

Derp.

I personally find 38 Special out of a K/L/N frame revolver or equivalent (GP100) with at least a 3" barrel to be VERY light on the recoil. For students, where a progression of recoil is appropriate I'll always try to go .22lr, 38 Sp (in something other than a J frame/snubbie), then 9mm semiauto and so on. The recoil impulse of a revolver is very "linear"; that is to say the force of the bullet being propelled out of the gun is really the only thing to consider whereas a semiauto has the recoil cycling the action which in turn gives a very different sensation.

Again, I think we can all agree it's quite subjective, but that is my impression.

Given that your MIL is 68 years old, maybe a .380 or smaller wouldn't be a bad thing. I'm thinking about the recent successful home defense in Detroit, none of the bullets even hit the invaders and they fled. Pretty much any gun is going to make a loud and scary bang (from the point of view of a burglar).

Edit:

I know the thread is about .38 Special vs 9mm, just thinking out loud.
She was told by her sister to get a 38 snub nose like the 642, I am trying to talk her out of an airwieight,
Well F does equal MA, but doesn't really apply to kinetic energy (ke=1/2mv^2).

In any case, Federal has a very nice website with all the data you could want.

Energy for a 9mm 124gr Hydroshock is listed at 345, compared with 258 for 129gr 38+p.

Boghog, just out of curiosity why are you asking? It's rare to find a gun where you can choose between 38 and 9mm.
I noticed Charter arm sells a 9mm revolver in steel and they have a 38 as well, it would just be nice to not have to buy another caliber to store

In reality should would probably be fine with a 22lr or WMR

I have both a S&W Model 547 and a S&W Model 10. They're almost identical revolvers except one is in 9mm, and the other is .38 Special.

Factory 9mm has more recoil than standard .38 Special, but less than hot +P .38 Special handloads.

I have both a S&W Model 547 and a S&W Model 10. They're almost identical revolvers except one is in 9mm, and the other is .38 Special. Factory 9mm has more recoil than standard .38 Special, but less than hot +P .38 Special handloads.

What about these 2 compared to your S&W 500! Haha :-D

I'm oldish, female and have a damaged right arm... if you want to call me a pussy go right ahead.

I find 9mm much softer shooting than 38. I shoot 38 out of both a 642 and a 3 inch 686 with a Greg Derr trigger, and 9mm out of 92fs or 3913.

I'm oldish, female and have a damaged right arm... if you want to call me a pussy go right ahead.

I find 9mm much softer shooting than 38. I shoot 38 out of both a 642 and a 3 inch 686 with a Greg Derr trigger, and 9mm out of 92fs or 3913.

I think the guns are very much the difference there. The 642 is a little beast with +P. I find the felt recoil of my little Glock 27 to be much less than an alloy j frame, despite the 40S&W having much more energy.

Carry want ever you feel comfortable with. Not sure why so many feel the need for macho name calling. My idea of a tough guy is a cop from the 1920's patrolling on foot, with no radio and a revolver in 32 long.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom