38 special shot

Matt2109

NES Life Member
NES Member
Anyone ever used 38 special shot loads? Anyone know where I might find some in Massachusetts, NH, or ME. I am going to Maine to spend some time on acreage that my family owns. I think I might like to carry my revolver with a couple of shot loads. The land is very overgrown and I think they might be good should I run into snakes (which, I admit, I am afraid of for no good reason!).

Part 2 of this question is what else should I carry in the revolver in 38 special. I will be out and about on the land only in the daylight. But I expect there is some risk of Bear or coyote encounter as well. I suspect my best defense is to make plenty of noise (to warn away any critters) and have a walking stick for snakes. But, the gun will make me feel better.

Any and all advice appreciated, except that I should carry a larger caliber, that is not an option as I cannot afford any new guns right now!!!

Thanks everyone.

GlockWhistle.jpg " I suspect my best defense is to make plenty of noise (to warn away any critters) "
[rofl] Have fun [smile]

JK

I don't recall seen .38Shot rounds on the shops in the Northshore only seen .22lr can you carry that as a snake gun ?

JFC. Don't go in the woods. Not sure how I survived childhood in Maine forests without a weapon to fend off the scary wild animals and deadly garter snakes.

Honestly, I'd be more worried about the ticks.

Have your boyfriend walk in front of you to scare away the snakes.

If you're not going to eat it, or it's not going to eat you, it's wrong to kill it.

Many years ago, I had some 38 "snake shot" rounds when I was in Texas. Haven't really seen anything like that up here except for the .410 shells that can be used in another style pistol. As far as I know, Maine is the ONLY state that has NO poisonous snakes. I would be more worried about bears! I would have a can of bear repellant and tick spray. Have fun

JFC. Don't go in the woods. Not sure how I survived childhood in Maine forests without a weapon to fend off the scary wild animals and deadly garter snakes.

Honestly, I'd be more worried about the ticks.

LOL, I am aware of how irrational my fear of snakes is, but I cannot help it.

I hear you about the ticks!

The last time I spent any time in the are, there seemed to be an abundance of some kind of excrement, that I think was bear.... Consequently I was afraid to wander very far from the road. We have a couple of hundred acres that I would like to explore a bit and just think I would feel better with a gun on my hip. No cell service out there and no one else around.....

Never thought of bear repellant, does it work?

I am probably being totally irrational.

Thanks for the replies guys!

LOL.The idea of killing a menacing snake with a revolver shot has to be one of the greatest marketing wins of the ammo industry.

LOL, I am aware of how irrational my fear of snakes is, but I cannot help it.

I hear you about the ticks!

The last time I spent any time in the are, there seemed to be an abundance of some kind of excrement, that I think was bear.... Consequently I was afraid to wander very far from the road. We have a couple of hundred acres that I would like to explore a bit and just think I would feel better with a gun on my hip. No cell service out there and no one else around.....

Never thought of bear repellant, does it work?

I am probably being totally irrational.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Grizzlies are the bears to worry about. There are none in Maine.

Black Bear attacks are extremely rare. They are timid animals. Some bear spray is a decent precaution. It basically strong pepper spray.

I had a bear wander through our campsite up in NH one time. We herded the kids into vehicles then waved arms, stomped feet, and yelled at the bear to GTFO. It left in a casual manner, sauntered off a ways and stopped to scratch its back in a tree.

If you make noise, they'll avoid you. Don't panic if you see one. ( Don't panic if you see some harmless snakes either ;) )

Here's some good info on bears in Maine and how to deal with encounters:

http://www.maine.gov/ifw/wildlife/human/lww_information/bears.html

http://www.bear.org/website/bear-pa...humans/119-how-dangerous-are-black-bears.html

Prepare yourself... I am going to give you a straight answer= Bass Pro Shop.
I almost jumped on the pile of smart ass non-answers but whats the point...

PS. Good luck Nancy.....

Anyone ever used 38 special shot loads? Anyone know where I might find some in Massachusetts, NH, or ME. I am going to Maine to spend some time on acreage that my family owns. I think I might like to carry my revolver with a couple of shot loads. The land is very overgrown and I think they might be good should I run into snakes (which, I admit, I am afraid of for no good reason!).

Part 2 of this question is what else should I carry in the revolver in 38 special. I will be out and about on the land only in the daylight. But I expect there is some risk of Bear or coyote encounter as well. I suspect my best defense is to make plenty of noise (to warn away any critters) and have a walking stick for snakes. But, the gun will make me feel better.

Any and all advice appreciated, except that I should carry a larger caliber, that is not an option as I cannot afford any new guns right now!!!

Thanks everyone.

Wow amazing some guys shit on you for wanting to carry a gun in the woods......when I'm in the whites hiking I carry a 357 mag revolver with buffalo bore 180 grain hard cast lead loads. My opinion is you have less to worry about with snakes so leave the CCI shot shells alone.......they are actually designed for shooting rodents if you found em in a barn or shed. My uncle uses em all the time in his barn in nh......keeps his 586 smith loaded with em to schwak mice and chipmunks in the barn. If your only option is the 38 special revolver find some buffalo bore brand heavy loads

I think I saw some .38 'snakeshot' or whatever it's called at Patriot Arms in Ipswich last year. No idea if they still have any - you could give them a call if it's convenient for you.

Wow amazing some guys shit on you for wanting to carry a gun in the woods......when I'm in the whites hiking I carry a 357 mag revolver with buffalo bore 180 grain hard cast lead loads. My opinion is you have less to worry about with snakes so leave the CCI shot shells alone.......they are actually designed for shooting rodents if you found em in a barn or shed. My uncle uses em all the time in his barn in nh......keeps his 586 smith loaded with em to schwak mice and chipmunks in the barn. If your only option is the 38 special revolver find some buffalo bore brand heavy loads

I don't think anyone is shitting on him for wanting to carry a gun, they are shitting on him for wanting to carry a gun because of snakes. Carry a gun for the same reason you would any other day of the week, not because you are scared of snakes.

I don't think anyone is shitting on him for wanting to carry a gun, they are shitting on him for wanting to carry a gun because of snakes. Carry a gun for the same reason you would any other day of the week, not because you are scared of snakes.
On any given day, the ticks and mosquitoes are a gabillionity times more likely to injure or maim you than a snake. If you see them in time to shoot, don't step on them and they won't bother you.

Even more so up here since the snakes are all disarmed liberals.

Save your bullets for something that will actually hurt you...

Thanks for all the replies!

I will look for some buffalo bore 38 loads and some bear repellant just in case. I appreciate all the replies even those making fun of me! One of the great things about this site, it's entertaining and helpful.

I knew I was setting myself up for ridicule when I admitted my snake fear....

Not in MA, NH or ME, but Heritage II in Warwick, RI had .38 Special, .40 S&W and .44 Shot Shells last Thursday.
If you reload, you can make your own with the empty capsules or use .35 caliber gas checks with shot between them. I can get about 60 grains in a .38 Special case and about 82 grains in a .357 case (I used number 6 and number 4). Needless to say, if used in a .38 Special chamber, the .357 Magnum case won't work.

I don't advocate killing animals in the wild that aren't attacking you. I am an advocate of "being prepared" however.

No idea where you are in MA but I do have a box of CCI Mini-Mag .38/.357 shotshells that I am willing to sell. I also have the same thing in .22LR. You'd have to be willing to meet around Braintree R&P or the Dedham to Mansfield area.

Thanks again everyone.

Navel officer, Thanks for the advice, I do not reload though.

LenS, thanks for the offer, but I think I am going to not worry about the shot. If I see a snake I will just pee myself and avoid it!! Appreciate the offer though!

Back
Top Bottom