38 special shot

Thanks for all the replies!

I will look for some buffalo bore 38 loads and some bear repellant just in case. I appreciate all the replies even those making fun of me! One of the great things about this site, it's entertaining and helpful.

I knew I was setting myself up for ridicule when I admitted my snake fear....

Lots of people are creeped out by snakes but it's not a reason to kill them, especially non poisonous ones and that's all you "might" run into in Maine.

I live where there are poisonous snakes and probably wouldn't kill them either unless they present a problem. Both poisonous and non poisonous varieties keep rodent pest populations in check so I look at having snakes around as beneficial.
I've actually rescued a couple of four foot black snakes that got tangled in some bird netting and couldn't get free. Had friend hold the head and cut the netting away with diagonal cutters. They like getting under firewood tarps where it's warm and shed their skins in the small spaces between the stacked wood.

As for shot shells, they're not very useful and rather expensive waste of money. They won't go far enough to effectively shoot birds on the fly or a rabbit on the run, a rat in a barn? maybe but if you left the snakes alone that rat probably wouldn't be there.

Not in MA, NH or ME, but Heritage II in Warwick, RI had .38 Special, .40 S&W and .44 Shot Shells last Thursday.
If you reload, you can make your own with the empty capsules or use .35 caliber gas checks with shot between them. I can get about 60 grains in a .38 Special case and about 82 grains in a .357 case (I used number 6 and number 4). Needless to say, if used in a .38 Special chamber, the .357 Magnum case won't work.
You got my attention! Sounds cool.......how do you get the shot to stay in the gas checks when seating the projectile? Any effect on accuracy with this load? Can I buy some?

You got my attention! Sounds cool.......how do you get the shot to stay in the gas checks when seating the projectile? Any effect on accuracy with this load? Can I buy some?

Do a bing search "44mag shot shells" there's a first hit on castbullits that has a great tutorial with pictures and everything for making shot shell.

As to having yr boyfriend walk in the lead, that's not good advice. :) Ticks will usual land on anyone other than the lead, and snakes bite the person behind. It's all a matter of reaction time on the animal's part.

I bought a box of the 45 she'll cause they randomly had it at the lgs. Still have yet to try it out. I had a squirrel problem in my attic . After a few sleepless nights I thought about about putting war paint on and borrowing some nv gear and waiting for those critters . Figured the shot wouldn't go through the floor or roof .

The only animal you need to worry about walks on two legs. Carry with that in mind.

And don't forget to pack an extra tampon.

Sorry, I don't get on here that frequently...
I don't use a projectile, the gas checks and the shot are the projectile. One gas check is seated as deep as I can seat it (about 3/8" from the web, I'm guestimating), then shot to the mouth and another gas check to cap the works. Slight taper crimp and that's it. You're not looking for hyper-velocity, just want to have the composite clear the barrel and hit in a reasonably decent pattern at 2 to 5 feet.
I've found the gas checks generally punch through the paper at the ranges I have tested them (1-6 feet). Don't expect to use these loads for clay shooting.

FWIW, Widener's has the empty capsules in stock.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom