• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.38 Special 148 gr HBWC

Just found 1k of these kicking around, and wanted to see if anyone else had much luck with these using Unique powder. I am trying to use up the pound of powder and was thinking 3.5 grains of Unique powder under one of these 148 grain HBWCs.

The classic bullseye load for 148-grain wadcutters is 2.7 grains of Bullseye. Hard to beat for accuracy in most revolvers, and slow enough to avoid leading with very soft swaged slugs.

My guess is that 3.5 grains of Unique is going to be much faster, possible leading, and not likely to be as accurate.

At 2.7 grains per round, a pound of Bullseye should load over 2,500 rounds. Worth the investment.

I'm sure it'll work but will you be able to see through the smoke cloud? [wink]

I use Win231 in mine. (Zero 148 gr HBWC.) They go right where I point them.

I plan on switching powders eventually just had the unique i wanted to use up. I might back it up to 3 grains. keep it right around mid level. thanks for the input. i found these laying around the house. something my uncle bought years ago before he passed away.

Unique is not one of those powders for which reduced loads presents a pressure spike issue. However, Unique does require a certain pressure for consistent burn, and reducing the load runs the risk of inconsistent burn (which directly affects print accuracy and also tends to lead to unburned powder in the bore). Once again, consider buying some Bullseye for these rounds and use the Unique for something for which it is better suited.

Back
Top Bottom