.38 or .380

Make your own .380 auto ammo!!

The parts are tiny, but they sell all the parts you need (powder, primers, and bullets. You can get into making your own ammo for less than $200! You'll shoot more, and it'll cost you less!

Thanks for the feedback guys. Now I kind of wish Beretta made a cheetah in the 9mm. I love the size and feeling of this gun and couldn't pass it up. I just wish ammo was easier to get. About a month or so ago the Wareham walmart had 6 boxes of 380 and the lady running the case said she couldn't believe they had that many. At the time I didn't know I was going to buy a 380 handgun or I would have bought all 6 boxes.

Make your own .380 auto ammo!!

The parts are tiny, but they sell all the parts you need (powder, primers, and bullets. You can get into making your own ammo for less than $200! You'll shoot more, and it'll cost you less!

Normally I'd agree but IMO it really depends on how much he's going to shoot the gun. If he's under 1000 rounds or so a year it's probably not worth
bothering.

On the other hand, given the situation with .380 ACP on the commercial market, it is probably easier to load up your own right now than it is to find it.

-Mike

Good point guys. I might have to start reloading my own... oh, and at the rate I'm going, I'm shooting 400 rds a month easy. I love the range!

You can fire a 380 in a 9mm pistol (but I don't recommend it). I just primed an empty 380 case and fed it into the chamber of my S&W 5906. The primer ignited so the extractor will hold the case firmly enough for the firing pin to ignite the primer.
It will, and the bullet will go down the barrel. Obviously, however, the .380 doesn't provide enough recoil to even unlock the action on a typical 9mm luger pistol. Years ago I launched a couple of .380s down the barrel of my friend's 92FS by accident. At first I thought they were squibs, that's how weak they felt, although I knew they weren't, because I was making holes in the target. Action did not cycle. Problem was a couple of .380s got mixed in with the dish of 9mm luger we had on the range bench. -Mike
Please don't anybody try this with a loaded round.
Even more so with a 9mm Makarov. The Makarov case is a little shorter (1mm shorter at 18mm) than the 9mm Luger (19mm), but 1mm longer than the 9mm "Kurtz" (aka .380, at 17mm); but the important thing is that the bullet is a bit wider, so could get stuck in the barrel. I almost started loading a 9mm Luger magazine with Makarov rounds, but noticed it in time and caught myself. Good thing! Whew!!!!!!!!![hmmm] There are also these similar rounds: 9x23 .38 Super 9mm WinMag It seems this is not a new conversation: 9x19 vs 9mm Parabelum vs 9mm Luger
9x18 Makarov?

Maybe this will help:
9mms.jpg

9x17-9x18-9x19.jpg

9mmcases.jpg

ammo1.jpg

Check out: http://www.makarov.com/makfaq.html
Are 9mm Kurz (Short), 9mm Makarov, 9x18 M, 9x19, 9mm Parabellum, 9mm Long all the same? Some are, some aren't. Here's a quick run-down of the popular 9mm cartridges: * 9x17 = 9mm Kurz = 9mm Short = .380 ACP. Bullet diameter = .356" * 9x18Ultra = 9mm Police. Bullet diameter = .356" (used in some Walther pistols...do not shoot this in your Makarov). * 9x18M = 9mm Makarov. Bullet diameter = .364" * 9x19 = 9mm = 9mm Parabellum = 9mm Luger. Bullet diameter = .356" There are others such as 9mm Ultra, 9mm Police, 9x21, 9mm Largo, etc. Note that none of these, except those with equal signs, are the same things. Do not exchange them for what your gun is chambered for. Also try this link from the rec.guns FAQ: Comparison of 9mm Diameter Calibres and get this picture of various 9mm case dimensions.
Just wait until you start the .22 madness:
http://media.photobucket.com/image/...ov kurz luger/ButchG17/Ammo pics/22RFs001.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom