• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

'37 Czech Lion Crest Vz24 at the range; now with sling

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Brought the new Lion Crest '37 Vz24 to the range today. Overcast and a damp chilly 34 degrees, but no wind. Shot 60 rounds of '54 + '55 Yugo surplus. First round went off, second and third were double taps, so I swapped in my 30# Wolff spring; the 22# hasn't arrived yet. No problems after that. Standard conditions, 100 yards, seated, no rest. I did not bench the rifle; just started shooting.

I like the heft and feel a little better than a K98, but the front sight is a wedge, not a blade. When sighted, the wedge completely obscures the black 1 foot target circle at 100 yards. Turns out it IS a 100 yard sight; when the point of the wedge was on the red, the elevation was good.

The bad: the world was not designed for lefties. The sling loop wound up in the heel of my left palm and I was unable to firmly grasp the rifle, and it moved around more than I wanted. After 20 rounds the stock was sweating oil and the heat shimmer made accurate viewing difficult.

Of the 60 rounds, about 50 are on the paper. I got better as I went on, but then worse later as I couldn't see the target very well. One round was high left center and hit the target frame shattering the bullet splattering on the target. I had the target placed within an inch of the frame top.

Not bad for a first time. I don't know if the sling will make it harder to hold or not.

MS

002.jpg

Last edited:
The sling came today from Liberty Tree. Advertised as German for early G1 FnFal rifles, it was modeled after the sling for export Vz24s. Briefly researching Vz24 slings, it matches one of four styles I saw. Seem a little long as it does not have a snug parade position. But looks good, and c. 1950, looks like a worn original. This original ($22) cost $2 less than a chintzy reproduction.

I also discovered that the hole in the front trigger guard (first pic) makes a great bolt take down hole. I wonder it that was the original intention.

MS

004-1.jpg

003.jpg

002-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom