.357sig?

I do not know much about the .357sig round. Anyone here have any experience with it. If so what are your likes or dislikes. Would this round be a good self-defense choice?

I have a glock 32C in 357 sig.

It's a good self defense round for sure, wouldn't hesitate to carry it. It is a bit of a "snappy" little round, and does have a bit of kick to it.

Ammo is a bit more expensive however being not a "normal" caliber it's been more available as of late at places like Wal Mart. It you don't shoot it a ton, I wouldn't even bother worrying about ammo cost. Being necked down it also may be somewhat less likely to jam in an autoloader...but that's open to debate......

I've a Glock 33. I like the 357 Sig. It IS loud. Equal to a 357 Magnum. I keep mine for CCW. The 33 is compact for carry but a powerhouse when needed. Its not a plinker. Its a working round. You can swap barrels for 40S&W, same case.

357 sig is a necked down 40 cal. round designed to perform like a 357 mag round. Performance is good from what I have heard/read, ammo is expensive though.

Hey thanks guys for some good info. The reason the .357sig appealed to me is like what John2 said it can be swapped with a .40 S&W barrel which is a round that I have been shooting for about 5 years now. So my thinking is since .40 is not dirt cheap but still cheaper, I will use that when I'm at the range and carry .357sig (but still once in a while shoot a clip or 2 of .357 at the range).

Loud. Very large flash. Very expensive when you can find it, and it is hard to find in the current ammo shortage.

I don't see that it gives you much over .40 S&W, which is cheaper and more available.

Unless you have a REALLY specific reason (just thinking it's cool is a good reason) for wanting a gun in this chambering, I wouldn't bother. There are numerous 'proven' solutions in the common chamberings - i.e. 9mm, .40 & .45 - that will always be more available, cheaper, and easier to reload, than the .357 Sig. While there may be some very good applications for this round, I don't see them being widely applicable. Ask yourself if this round provides you any significant and real advantage that is lacking in another round. I know a couple of guys that have these and they're shooting is truly impressive. But they don't pay for their own ammo either.

But like I said, sometimes you think something is cool and ya just gotta have it.

Hey thanks guys for some good info. The reason the .357sig appealed to me is like what John2 said it can be swapped with a .40 S&W barrel which is a round that I have been shooting for about 5 years now. So my thinking is since .40 is not dirt cheap but still cheaper, I will use that when I'm at the range and carry .357sig (but still once in a while shoot a clip or 2 of .357 at the range).

How does your POA/POI work out with the two different rounds? I would expect that at least the elevation might be off. I happened to notice that Sig uses different sight heights for the .357 than the .40.

$1/ bullet is to pricey for me

I'm pretty sure the last time I bought it at Wally's it was 24 ish dollars a 50 round box of WWB FMJ. Decent HP ammo will cost 1 buck a piece...just like they do in every other caliber.....

So it's more like 50 cents a round, where .40 and .45 are like 25 cents a round. If your gonna plink alot, I wouldn't buy it, unless you reload. Then it doesn't matter your shooting way cheaper than that.

I've read on various forums that it is close to an "ideal" CCW round.

But those were the opinions of posters, and I don't know much about ballistics, so I'm not sure how true the statement is.

I have not tried it but hear it is a "fun" round to shoot.

I figure if I really want to I can get a .357sig barrel for my M&P .40 and give it a go.

Loud. Very large flash. Very expensive when you can find it, and it is hard to find in the current ammo shortage.

I don't see that it gives you much over .40 S&W, which is cheaper and more available.

Umm....with the current ammo shortage, i've been seeing more 357 sig around than any other caliber.....

I had a G32 and loved it, highly regret selling it but it was just to expensive for me to shoot on a regular basis.
The last time I was at KTP one of the Arm Chair Commandos behind the counter said that the Maine Environmental Police use the Glock platform in 357 sig. Said it did everything they needed. He said they Dispatch wounded Moose, Black Bear and Deer with no troubles at all.
As the others have said it is one heck of a round.
Personally if the ammo ever became cheaper and there were 100rd value packs for target I would buy another G32 in 357 sig today its that good.
Very accurate and flat shooting also.

Cheers!

op

Last edited:

That's why it appealed to me....I bought a stock glock .40 barrel and a 9mm LW conversion barrel (9mm does need a magazine change) for my glock 32 and it's like 3 guns in one.....if I carry it though I use the .357 barrel.

My first 357Sig was a Glock 27 with a conversion barrel. Liked it better than 40, but it was more difficult to find (then). Now, I have a Sig 239 in 357 Sig, and it seems to be easier to find that on the shelves than 40.

The cartridge does add a few more steps to the reloading process, but it's not difficult, and the 40S&W-based brass still gets stuck inside 45ACP cases in the tumbler (if I don't separate them first). If I remember the original sales pitch on the Sig cartridge, they wanted to duplicate the performance of hollowpoint 125gr 4" 357 Mag loads in a semiauto. If that was a worthwhile goal is open to debate, but it sure is fun to shoot!

Unless you have a REALLY specific reason (just thinking it's cool is a good reason) for wanting a gun in this chambering, I wouldn't bother. There are numerous 'proven' solutions in the common chamberings - i.e. 9mm, .40 & .45 - that will always be more available, cheaper, and easier to reload, than the .357 Sig. While there may be some very good applications for this round, I don't see them being widely applicable. Ask yourself if this round provides you any significant and real advantage that is lacking in another round. I know a couple of guys that have these and they're shooting is truly impressive. But they don't pay for their own ammo either.

But like I said, sometimes you think something is cool and ya just gotta have it.
If a 124gr 9mm is an OK-to-GOOD round at 1050 fps, then it's hard to imagine how the same round at 1350 would not be a substantial improvement.

US Secret Service chose .357 sig as their carry round. I think the 357 sig has more penetrating power than other calibers.

A flatter trajectory and better penetration, the same two things that the .357 Magnum brings to a revolver.

If a 124gr 9mm is an OK-to-GOOD round at 1050 fps, then it's hard to imagine how the same round at 1350 would not be a substantial improvement.

+1

If cartridges like this did not bring something useful to the table, the .357 Magnum would have never appeared.

Back
Top Bottom