• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Uncommon calibers 357Sig and 10mm

DarthRevan

NES Member
Just for giggles I'm looking into what my next pistol may be since I have what I want for now in 9mm and the two rounds in the title are what I'm looking at next.
I know if I go the 357Sig that there are a lot of prebans that can be found since the case size is pretty much the same as .40sw
But I've seen what a 10mm can do to pork shoulders and it's quite destructive.
Im not looking for a carry gun in these calibers but I would like to carry it on occasion in the colder months.
What are some fun handguns in these sizes?

Of those two, I would definitely go 10mm. It is much easier to reload and you can load from 135 gr up to 220 gr, from light to smoking hot. Mine is a Colt Delta Elite, but there are 10mm Glocks available as well.

my winter carry is a G33 in .357sig. the flame out of the barrel will start forest fires. [rofl] very hard hitting caliber, recoil similar to a .40 . expensive round for 'fun ' shooting.
an easy barrel switchout gives you a G27.

Glock 20. I have a preban if I ever want to carry into MA. I carry sometimes, not that bad at all. I got some talon grips for it, and definitely feels a lot better.
Buying ammo online isn't that bad really, $18/box when stores are $30+/box. Plus, you can fit a Mechtech upper to it to create a carbine!

As M1911 suggested, 10mm is probably preferable to 357 Sig. I've got a 357 Sig and enjoy it a lot, but it's expensive to feed for sure. 10MM is a very versatile round. You could keep it nice and simple and get a Glock 20 and be a happy camper with it.

I just couldn't afford the Colt Delta Elite which is what I really wanted but I am very pleased with the G20. I wish they had one in a G19 frame size as I tend to carry my G19 the most. I know they have a G29 which is close in size to the G30 (which I probably carry 2nd most). I just can't imagine how snappy the G29 would be with some of the hotter ammo.

10mm is an awesome round. I very much dislike the .357SIG cartridge. Cabelas in MA has tons of 10mm readily available.

Get a Glock G21 and then get 10mm and a 357Sig conversion barrels and make it a 3 caliber gun even better get a 9x25 Dillon (necked down 10mm to 9mm it's like a big brother to the 357 Sig) barrel and make it a 4 caliber gun. The 9x25 Dillon is still available from Double Tap. I personally like the 10mm and have a 1911 commander in that caliber. I have also have had a G20 and a G29 and are both nice guns and both have 357Sig conversion barrels available. The G29 I had I did a 9x25 Dillon conversion with a ported conversion barrel and that was one snappy gun, however fun to shoot. Also the Glock G41 in 45 4th. Gen can be converted to 10mm and 357Sig with conversion barrels. Lots of options. 1911's are nice however they can be troublesome in 10mm and 357Sig. and more expensive.

Last edited:
Though 357 sig is a cool cartridge, it's freakin expensive and not as common. go shop ammo, and let that be your guide. With that being said, 357sig is a hoot to shoot, but then again so is 10mm.

Get a Glock G21 and then get 10mm and a 357Sig conversion barrels and make it a 3 caliber gun even better get a 9x25 Dillon (necked down 10mm to 9mm it's like a big brother to the 357 Sig) barrel and make it a 4 caliber gun. The 9x25 Dillon is still available from Double Tap. I personally like the 10mm and have a 1911 commander in that caliber. I have also have had a G20 and a G29 and are both nice guns and both have 357Sig conversion barrels available. The G29 I had I did a 9x25 Dillon conversion with a ported conversion barrel and that was one snappy gun, however fun to shoot. Also the Glock G41 in 45 4th. Gen can be converted to 10mm and 357Sig with conversion barrels. Lots of options. 1911's are nice however they can be troublesome in 10mm and 357Sig. and more expensive.
Hmm, Glock seems to be the most popular answer so far and this would be a very utilitarian option.

- - - Updated - - -

What about magazine choices? Do they make a 357Sig magazine to fit the large frame Glocks?

i like 357 sig. its fun to shoot and especially outside on steel targets beyond 25 yards the velocity becomes apparent.

G32 or G31 are good shooters, as is a Sig P226/229. if going 357sig then youre a barrel swap away from .40 and vice versa. so could pickup a G22 or G23 pretty cheap then swap in a 357sig barrel.

i also dig 10mm. if you decide to go w a G20 youre one barrel swap away from .40 or 357 sig as well, since 10mm is the parent case for both cartridges. keep in mind most 10mm factory ammo is underloaded so finding warm 10mm is trickier. on thr flipside 357sig ammo is all loaded pretty warm.

I carry a Sig P229 for work and for pleasure - it's a heavy pistol for a so-called "compact" and really feels and performs like a full size. They use the same magazines for 357sig and 40sw and convert at the switch of a barrel (to get to 9mm you need different magazines, and a slide/barrel combo, or an aftermarket barrel). The 357sig is a little snappier than the 40sw but doesn't hit your wrist as hard, shoots a little flatter, and is a lot louder. I find the target a lot better with the 357sig than the 40sw, but that might just be me.

As far as 10mm goes I had a Colt Delta and loved it, but it's long gone. Haven't run into another 1911 in 10mm that I liked since then (Sig, Kimber, eh). I have a Glock 29 and absolutely love it - it's easy to hang on to even with heavy loads despite being a truly compact pistol. It isn't as bad a wristwrecker as some try to make it out to be; if you're used to 45acp or 357sw mag you're not going to be too upset with it. Keep in mind the more affordable 10mm you find is often "nerfed" and not so different from 40cal. You can toss a 40sw or 357sig barrel into the Glock 20 or the Glock 29 with ease. You can shoot 40sw through the 10mm barrel (with the Glocks) - that's open to debate and I expect to be flamed, but I have 400+ through mine and know people who have 2000+ through theirs without a lick of additional wear or damage, you simply give it a good cleaning before going back to 10mm.

Either way, you're going loud and pricey, but both are a blast to shoot.

The 10mm Glock magazines for the Glock 20 will also fit the G21 and will have no problem feeding and cambering the 357Sig. I almost forgot you can also get a 400 Corbon conversion barrel or a 45GI barrel or a 460 Rowland conversion barrel the list goes on and on and this can be all done on one gun the G21.

Last edited:
I have a P239 in 357 sig. I love that gun - never had any issue whatsoever with it through thousands of rounds.

Of those two, I would definitely go 10mm. It is much easier to reload and you can load from 135 gr up to 220 gr, from light to smoking hot. Mine is a Colt Delta Elite, but there are 10mm Glocks available as well.

Colt delta elite 10mm would be my choice for a 10mm

You could always get a S&W 610 that would let you shoot .40 and 10mm, but it uses moon clips...some people don't like them.

I have a couple glock 20's and a 29 also reload in 10mm.

357sig conversion usually runs out of a 40cal. what manufacturer makes a 45 --> 357 sig conversion and how do your mags fit with the difference in OAL?

Colt delta elite 10mm would be my choice for a 10mm

if looking for a single stack 10mm, my choice is the Sig P220 elite in 10mm. mine is the SAO model. for a while i was dabbling in 10mm 1911's until i found this P220. Sig really hit a home run with this one.

another interesting option is the Tanfoglio elite in 10mm. these are CZ-75 design bumped up to 10mm. i hear good things about their pistols. haven't shot one.

Like a lot of people, I like a Glock 20. It was my first USPSA Production gun (downloaded a bit, obviously). Interestingly, I find that using factory ammo, 10mm is softer shooting than the G20 with a 40 S&W conversion barrel.

Like a lot of people, I like a Glock 20. It was my first USPSA Production gun (downloaded a bit, obviously). Interestingly, I find that using factory ammo, 10mm is softer shooting than the G20 with a 40 S&W conversion barrel.

probably because most factory .40S&W 165 gr ammo is loaded hotter than 10mm 180gr. the former is often supersonic, whereas factory 10mm loads are often subsonic. yup that shitty. the only factory 10mm loads I bother shooting are underwood and Sig Elite. the rest is loaded way too light.

this is a major issue one should consider before getting into 10mm. many folks get a 10mm pistol then realize that they either have to reload the cartridge or hunt down specific ammo types, otherwise one is just shooting expensive ass .40S&W.

for example,

Am Eagle 10mm 180gr FMJ

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/9...unition-10mm-auto-180-grain-full-metal-jacket

Ballistics Information:

Muzzle Velocity: 1060 fps
Muzzle Energy: 449 ft. lbs.

Am Eagle .40S&W 165gr FMJ

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...s-and-w-165-grain-full-metal-jacket-box-of-50

Ballistics Information:

Muzzle Velocity: 1130 fps
Muzzle Energy: 468 ft. lbs.

Last edited:

Don't forget the 460rowland barrel too , loads of fun

Back
Top Bottom