357 Mag Reloading Help

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I actually have two questions:

1. Can someone PM me a company that will send reloading supplies to mass. I need to find a source for 158gr JSPs to reload for my Desert Eagle.

2. Does anyone reload 357 mag using AA#9? If so, have you worked up any loads for the 158 gr bullets? If you have, I'd appreciate it if you'd share your recipe. I just got my setup in place to reload 357 in place and am looking foward to adding a new caliber to my reloading list.

Thanks for any help.

Ill be running around tomorrow looking for reloading supplies. I got mine all set up today and last week i bought some titegroup powder and 148g Wade Cutters in .38..Seems alot of the recipes arent liking titegroup so ill take a look for some info as i might be heading to Rileys in NH,

I just got the Desert Eagle in .357 and the load I have tested and am satisfied with is 15 grains of IMR4227 with a Winchester 158 grain semi jacketed HP OAL at 1.590. Nice groups an doesn't slam the slide back violently.

Here is a question maybe someone can answer. I was going to reload some 357 today but messed up and primed 24 cases with SP primers and not SP Magnum primers. what should i do? cant i just throw a 38 charge in the case to fire off the primers or will that cause a pressure problem? suggestions?

Here is a question maybe someone can answer. I was going to reload some 357 today but messed up and primed 24 cases with SP primers and not SP Magnum primers. what should i do? cant i just throw a 38 charge in the case to fire off the primers or will that cause a pressure problem? suggestions?

If I'm reading my reloading book right, a lot of powders being shown to load 357 mag do not need SP Magnum primers. I would double check your reloading manual and see if the powder you are using actually needs to have it. If not, you are good to go. If the powder you use needs it, you could try a new powder that doesn't. Who knows, you may end up finding a better load with a new powder.

What powder are you using? You can load even full power .357s with a standard pistol primer and the right powder. For example, the Speer Manual lists standard-primer 158gr recipes for 2400, Viht N110, Blue Dot, AA#5, AA#7, AA#9, IMR 4227, Power Pistol, Viht N350, Unique, and Universal.

Last edited:
There is a fairly good gun show in Manchester next weekend. At the show Glen Sorenson is always present with a very good selection of reloading items.

I have AA #5 , Unique and Titegroup. The Hodgon Manual just says SP, Lyman 48th calls for Magnum and Lee calls for SP..i hate that 3 manuals are sometimes contradicting each other.

i hate that 3 manuals are sometimes contradicting each other.

Get used to it.

Regular SP primers are fine for all of the powders you mentioned. The only time you really need magnum primers is when you're using one of the hard-to-light "magnum" powders like H110, W296, or Lil' Gun. These powders will (sort of) work even with SP primers, although you get more consistent velocities with SPM primers.

I've never used Magnum primers with my loads and they worked just fine. Of course I used Unique which is on the faster side so slow powders may need them.

You can load a standard charge with no problem. Your velocity might be a bit lower, that's all. Magnums are not mandatory, but help keep a consistant burn of the powder.

Thanks everyone. Made some rounds the other night using the SP Primers and gonna test them out once the Loeb Range is back open at MRA.

Back
Top Bottom