• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hopkinton NH: Hunter Shot Woman Riding Bike on Trail

The officer interviewed on Ch. 7 stated that it was likely the projectile hit something before it, or a piece of it, hit her.

OK, if that's what they're reporting, I'll give the hunter the benefit of the doubt.
If it was a ricochet, then it's hard to prove negligence, carelessness or nefarious intent.

OK, if that's what they're reporting, I'll give the hunter the benefit of the doubt.
If it was a ricochet, then it's hard to prove negligence, carelessness or nefarious intent.

Even if she was was only hit by a ricochet, the shooter still violated one of the firearms safety rules: Be sure of your target and what is beyond it. She couldn't have been that far away for a ricochet to reach her. Seems negligent.

It would help if we knew what he was hunting...deer or small game. If she got hit with a couple pellets of number 6 shot and freeked out or if she was hit with a rifle projo or buckshot.

I've been pinged by pellets when pheasant hunting. It's a bit disheartening but not the end of the world.
I got hit by pellets quail hunting once got bloody, young kid that did it learned a good lesson that day.

Not excusing the hunter, but there's a reason that, when riding during the season - even in places not (legally) hunted - I look like this:
View attachment 212895

Down here if you are in the woods during hunting season you are required to wear orange regardless of what you are doing. You can actually be ticketed if you are in the woods during any hunting season and not wearing a blaze orange hat or vest.

Honestly, if she was wearing her brown jacket riding her Mtn Bike through the woods that would look VERY much like a deer running, right speed, right height, right color. Obviously if all those match up the guy would still be in the wrong for not being 100% sure of target but I could definitely understand that mistake.

And for those saying hitting someone with a ricochet or pass through means you didn't know what was beyond your target that's bullshit. A bullet or ricochet can travel to places you can't see from the shooters vantage point. It's impossible to make a shot and know 100% certain it will not go somewhere you can't see unless you are taking a short shot from a treestand or shooting down into a valley.

Down here if you are in the woods during hunting season you are required to wear orange regardless of what you are doing. You can actually be ticketed if you are in the woods during any hunting season and not wearing a blaze orange hat or vest.

IIRC there's at least one riding area in Rhode Island where that's the case as well. Common sense for all, of course.

Honestly, if she was wearing her brown jacket riding her Mtn Bike through the woods that would look VERY much like a deer running, right speed, right height, right color. Obviously if all those match up the guy would still be in the wrong for not being 100% sure of target but I could definitely understand that mistake.

And for those saying hitting someone with a ricochet or pass through means you didn't know what was beyond your target that's bullshit. A bullet or ricochet can travel to places you can't see from the shooters vantage point. It's impossible to make a shot and know 100% certain it will not go somewhere you can't see unless you are taking a short shot from a treestand or shooting down into a valley.

If its brown....its down?

So he was shooting at a color in a bucks only period? So let me get this clear in my head, shooting at a color would be acceptable mistake?

The shooter was close to her, its how he knows he shot her. It wasn't a long distance ricochet.

In 1971, in Orford NH, I was 17. I was moving through a brush/thick area when a shot rang out, I heard the bullet clicking through the trees to my right. I yelled out and approached the "hunter" He says sorry, I thought you were a deer. A sound shooter as we call em.

Is there any difference between a sound shooter and a brown shooter?

Can we please stop eating our own? This was a non story with no information meant to make hunters and therefore all gun owners look like drunken buffoons. It’s bad enough when non gun owners believe it, but I’m pissed off at all the gunners on here who are so quick to blame this guy.

Maura isn’t the problem, you are.

Let’s all pretend we’re in the military. We can make fun of each other within our safe spaces like NES. Call each other Fudds, Glock fanboys, .40 Short and Weak, etc. we can have fun in our battles of 1911 vs Glock and 9mm vs .45. Just like Airmen make fun of Squids and Soldiers make fun of Jarheads. But God help a civilian who tries to eff with a Puddle Pirate (coast guard, not even a real branch), because all who served will defend him.

Can we try and stick up for each other? Or do you think the press lies only about what YOU like? Because guess what, your SxS shotgun is only an unmodified sawed off, your lever gun is the symbol of genocide and your muzzleloader paved the way for colonial exploitation. Fight the bullshit now, or they’ll tear us apart in pieces. Especially when we do it ourselves.

Can we please stop eating our own? This was a non story with no information meant to make hunters and therefore all gun owners look like drunken buffoons. It’s bad enough when non gun owners believe it, but I’m pissed off at all the gunners on here who are so quick to blame this guy.

Maura isn’t the problem, you are.

Let’s all pretend we’re in the military. We can make fun of each other within our safe spaces like NES. Call each other Fudds, Glock fanboys, .40 Short and Weak, etc. we can have fun in our battles of 1911 vs Glock and 9mm vs .45. Just like Airmen make fun of Squids and Soldiers make fun of Jarheads. But God help a civilian who tries to eff with a Puddle Pirate (coast guard, not even a real branch), because all who served will defend him.

Can we try and stick up for each other? Or do you think the press lies only about what YOU like? Because guess what, your SxS shotgun is only an unmodified sawed off, your lever gun is the symbol of genocide and your muzzleloader paved the way for colonial exploitation. Fight the bullshit now, or they’ll tear us apart in pieces. Especially when we do it ourselves.

Is there any difference between a sound shooter and a brown shooter.....

I am both shocked and saddened when some believe shooting at brown moving through the woods, at the right speed and height, would be an acceptable discharge of a firearm at a "possible" target.

How do you know this was either a sound, or a brown shooter?

I’m not excusing either behavior.

The only time this was mentioned was in this thread about someone’s past experience. And you’re attributing it to this guy who we know nothing about.

How do you know this was either a sound, or a brown shooter?

I’m not excusing either behavior.

The only time this was mentioned was in this thread about someone’s past experience. And you’re attributing it to this guy who we know nothing about.

Just reading the responses....I did not say you personally was "excusing" anyone....but you are defending the indefensible.

Last edited:
I have hunted deer in NH and Vermont for over 46 years. I have seen every kind of hunter there is. I have met many good ones and to be honest too many bad ones. I have seen people shot at and I myself have been shot at. I have no use for sound shooters, brown shooters, women hanging out their laundry shooters.....

4:15, the woods get dark fairly quick.....a moving target.....in a bucks only area, tough to see....tough to know.....but if its brown its down then is an easy pull....

The "hunter" was RIGHT THERE....he knew he hit her, period. I will give him credit for staying and helping her. I have seen too many who claim they were shooting at a deer, claim they thought it was a deer.....

I don't need to know this guys story. I have seen it live too many times.

He fired in her direction.....after all, it was brown, moving at the right speed, the right height.....

If its brown....its down?

So he was shooting at a color in a bucks only period? So let me get this clear in my head, shooting at a color would be acceptable mistake?

The shooter was close to her, its how he knows he shot her. It wasn't a long distance ricochet.

Didn't say acceptable mistake, said understandable mistake, also forgot it was bucks only but the point still stands sometimes people do look like deer.

Didn't it say she rode further before realizing she was even hit?

If you don’t care for facts, I guess nothing will convince you then. I’ve seen that story too many times.

Happy Thanksgiving, say hi to Maura.

I'm too old, too grizzled, to be ruffled by your Socrates debating style. Save it for the younger folks.

Didn't say acceptable mistake, said understandable mistake, also forgot it was bucks only but the point still stands sometimes people do look like deer.

You can't make an "understandable mistake" when firing at a live target. A human life ain't worth one back strap.

I don't care if she rode all the way to Canada....she was hit, period.

Bucks only, what was he shooting at....buck....doe....dog...moose....what was he shooting at?

I am both shocked and saddened when some believe shooting at brown moving through the woods, at the right speed and height, would be an acceptable discharge of a firearm at a "possible" target.
This! Times a million. I don't shoot at deer. I shoot at a deers heart and lungs! Not a brown object moving in the woods

Yeah, this is about a mile from my house. My wife and I (and many other people in the area) walk in there regularly with dogs, kids, etc. It's a very popular walking, biking, hiking, fishing, and picnic area. I'm honestly surprised that hunting is even allowed in there.

regarding the "wear orange requirement during hunting season"... sounds like a good law... puts the emphasis and responsibility on both hunters and non-hunters to do their part to reduce hunting accidents.

Animal-Hats-for-Adults.jpg

Well then, SC sucks.

Can you define "in the woods"? I can't. Can the SC possum cops?

regarding the "wear orange requirement during hunting season"... sounds like a good law... puts the emphasis and responsibility on both hunters and non-hunters to do their part to reduce hunting accidents.

I have seen signage in Rhode Island that requires everyone to wear orange from October to March on state lands.

Why should there be a law that requires non-hunters to spend money on clothing to use public lands?

Sorry, but the easier answer, if "Moar Lawrs" are needed is to say, "No Hunting," as there are likely more non-hunters than hunters on the land in question, and, therefore this is a less-onerous-to-the-most-people solution. Putting responsibility on person A to avoid an "accident" caused by person B is how we get the crappy laws we now have. Remember this, when some criminal does a criminal act, and the law-abiding are saddled with more legal burdens.

That said, I'd wear orange in areas were hunting is going on. Because it's a good idea. Same with seat belts. When I cross the line to NH, I take off my seat belt as it's no longer required....I then put it on again, as all the cars around me are still Ma**h*** drivers. [laugh]

I was taught many years ago that you own the projectile from the time it exits the barrel until it lands. Regardless of intent or acts of God, he pulled the trigger, and he owns it.

Why should there be a law that requires non-hunters to spend money on clothing to use public lands?

Sorry, but the easier answer, if "Moar Lawrs" are needed is to say, "No Hunting," as there are likely more non-hunters than hunters on the land in question, and, therefore this is a less-onerous-to-the-most-people solution. Putting responsibility on person A to avoid an "accident" caused by person B is how we get the crappy laws we now have. Remember this, when some criminal does a criminal act, and the law-abiding are saddled with more legal burdens.

That said, I'd wear orange in areas were hunting is going on. Because it's a good idea. Same with seat belts. When I cross the line to NH, I take off my seat belt as it's no longer required....I then put it on again, as all the cars around me are still Ma**h*** drivers. [laugh]

Don't forget that most of the land that is used by non hunters is paid for with a good chunk of change from hunter's taxes. If hunting isn't allowed, then money from hunters shouldn't be used, let's see how well the place is managed for everyone's use then.

I was taught many years ago that you own the projectile from the time it exits the barrel until it lands. Regardless of intent or acts of God, he pulled the trigger, and he owns it.

I don't argue this point. A person can be responsible while not negligent. My issue is with everyone reading 4 sentences in a crappy newspaper article and assuming the guy was shooting at a blur, or noise, or was in some other way being the fool. The hunter is responsible if the ricochet hit the biker behind him, but I'm not going to say that he did anything particularly wrong - it was an accident.

Without knowing the facts of the story (today he'll probably come out on the news and say he was drunk and trying to club a bird with the gun butt or something equally obnoxiously stupid - just to make me eat my words) I'm going to take the position that the "journalist" is lying, knows the square root of crap, and the woman was a twit who twisted her ankle and blamed the gun.

Remember, safety third.

Back
Top Bottom