• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Long Guns in MA

Kel-Tec Sub-2000 is a fun Home Defense rifle. Takes magazines from several different types of handguns. I have a Glock 22 and mine takes the same magazine. You don't have to buy the more expensive rifle ammo. Also it folds in half easy to put in a backpack. I take mine to the range on my motorcycle.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

So many variables. What do you want to do with it? Want cheap ammo or real expensive ammo? New style rifle or WW2 style?

So many variables. What do you want to do with it? Want cheap ammo or real expensive ammo? New style rifle or WW2 style?

If he said home defense, I would be shocked if he was thinking ww2 style.

fb75997bd18456cc1a80b97e9a7e88d9c734522e73a6aa6ae145c5da20f33093.jpg

For home defense you probably shouldn't be thinking of getting a rifle...the projectiles penetrate too much and travel too fast to be able to fire safely in a small setting like a house. A 12 guage shotgun will stop anything in line of sight, but will also not penetrate walls (or at least not with still lethal velocities) endangering other members of your household in adjacent rooms.

A 12 guage shotgun will stop anything in line of sight, but will also not penetrate walls (or at least not with still lethal velocities) endangering other members of your household in adjacent rooms.

A 12 gauge loaded with 00 buck or slugs can, and will certainly penetrate sheetrock and maintain lethal velocities. If the rounds hit studs of course, it'll slow 'em down but I would not rely on sheetrock to stop a 12 gauge round from reaching my loved ones, were I to miss my intended target. [wink]

A 12 gauge loaded with 00 buck or slugs can, and will certainly penetrate sheetrock and maintain lethal velocities. If the rounds hit studs of course, it'll slow 'em down but I would not rely on sheetrock to stop a 12 gauge round from reaching my loved ones, were I to miss my intended target. [wink]

Meant to add...loaded with birdshot.

Leave it to NES to find the one thing I accidentally omitted and pick apart and delegitamize/discount my entire statement. ;D

And plus...who here misses their target. I thought world class shooting comes with the $20 member fee to NES?

Last edited:
For home defense a shotgun would be a better tool.

For rifle for home defense you would be wanting an AR carbine with a red-dot sight.

Someone who owned one in-state prior to 7/20/2016 will be happy to sell you one. Check out the Tavors, too.

What about #4 buckshot as opposed to 00 Buck? Would that be a good compromise between birdshot and 00?

Please do not actually do this.

Why not? High brass 1 1/4 ounce birdshot loads have their place in home defense. Best 13 minutes of information you'll ever get on buck vs bird shot in a hd gun is right below. If you watch this video and still think birdshot is a bad idea in all circumstances you just are not paying attention. Paul Harrell is my new favorite YouTube channel. Btw.....my shotgun is loaded with #4 high brass 12 gauge......longest shot self defense in my 960 square foot home is 7 yards!

Don't be so "closed minded" and realize your personal layout may not be everyones layout. And #4 high brass loads pack a whallop at 5 yards.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zaR1EVybUgc

Last edited:
My understanding is 5.56 at short ranges splinters as soon as it hits something and has relatively low penetration. Personally I have a .45 handgun with defense ammo, but will break out the AR for home defense when the FSA starts getting restless.

For home defense you probably shouldn't be thinking of getting a rifle...the projectiles penetrate too much and travel too fast to be able to fire safely in a small setting like a house. A 12 guage shotgun will stop anything in line of sight, but will also not penetrate walls (or at least not with still lethal velocities) endangering other members of your household in adjacent rooms.

Yes and no. It depends on the load you use. 00 buck is going through multiple walls. 4 bucks and 3 buck an outer wall will usually stop it. Birdshot......well.....depends on the load you chose.

Watch the videos I pasted in on posts 14 and 15. Best info I've ever seen with good tests on different loads. You'll be glad you watched it.

Sgt./Maj. Kyle E. Lamb doesn't think a rifles a bad idea.
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/5/26/the-ar-for-home-defense-one-experts-opinion/

Last edited:
I'll bite...

¿Por que?

Because it's ****ing stupid. [laugh]

The problem with "worrying about overpen" is that every time you invoke this, you're always going to be drastically limiting yourself in terms of wound ballistics on the other end. I wouldn't want to get shot by it, but honestly in terms of terminal ballistics it just doesn't penetrate deep enough. If you're that worried about overpen leave the guns in the safe and use some other weapon, because you basically "can't get there from here".

None of this matters anyways because shotguns for HD are woefully overrated. Then again I don't have one of those cool dispensers on my headboard that drops a shotgun into my hands while im laying down in bed. I would bet that a shitload of people who planned on "having a shotgun for home defense" ended up shooting the bad guy with a handgun instead because it was what they had on them or could get to faster.

I keep slugs in my shotgun's feed tube. Because if it's to the point where I need to take out a shotgun it's because I intentionally went there to get something more powerful, not less.

-Mike

Last edited:
My understanding is 5.56 at short ranges splinters as soon as it hits something and has relatively low penetration. Personally I have a .45 handgun with defense ammo, but will break out the AR for home defense when the FSA starts getting restless.

[rofl]

Omg no.

5.56 at short range will tumble AFTER it penetrates a wall or obsticle.....but that fu¢ker is still humming along!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Because it's ****ing stupid. [laugh]

The problem with "worrying about overpen" is that every time you invoke this, you're always going to be drastically limiting yourself in terms of wound ballistics on the other end. I wouldn't want to get shot by it, but honestly in terms of terminal ballistics it just doesn't penetrate deep enough. If you're that worried about overpen leave the guns in the safe and use some other weapon, because you basically "can't get there from here".

-Mike

What about in a small house? Remember with scatter guns the range to Target is very important. Sure if your target is 20 yards out birdshot will not have good ballistics but at 5-10?

Watch the Harrell vids I posted in 14 and 15 and tell me what you think.

If your longest shot due to the size of your home is 5-10 yards......high brass #4 will definitely do the trick.

What about in a small house? Remember with scatter guns the range to Target is very important. Sure if your target is 20 yards out birdshot will not have good ballistics but at 5-10?

Watch the Harrell vids I posted in 14 and 15 and tell me what you think.

If your longest shot due to the size of your home is 5-10 yards......high brass #4 will definitely do the trick.

Tell that to the guy Dick Cheney shot, bird shot to the face and he is still around.

Tell that to the guy Dick Cheney shot, bird shot to the face and he is still around.

Stop. Just ****ing stop. Quit being a dolt and stop blowing smoke up peoples asses with total bullshit remarks.

Dick cheyney was 40 ****ing yards away from the guy when he shot him.
Do you have any experience at all with a shotgun? Distance to target is EVERYTHING. If you have good experience with a shotgun you'd know this.

Close in.......5-10 yards.....a shotgun is brutal and deadly. Why do you think the military issue them to troops in urban terrain? It ain't cuz they are pheasant and grouse hunting.....it's cuz a shotgun at close range is damn deadly. Key word.....close range.

- - - Updated - - -

10/22 with 25 rounds of quiet. Then drag pock marked body to basement.

[rofl]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom