• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.32 S&W in Nagant?

ARV

I have read that its possible to fire .32 S&W in a Nagant revolver, though it tends to ruin the cases. I have heard the same thing about .32 H&R Mag, and that people often fire them safely with no ill effects other than poor accuracy. Conversely, I have also heard that both of those cartridges have too much pressure for the Nagant to handle. I have reloading data for both .32 S&W and .32 H&R at home in my books (I think...) but I know for certain that I do not have 7.62 Nagant listed. No I do not plan on shooting either of those, as I have access to the proper ammo. Can anyone tell me if the pressures or other factors would make it unsafe to fire these rounds, beyond the case dimensions being a bit too small?

Common practice from what I have read. The original Russian round was pretty potent.
I ordered a Nagant revolver earlier this week. Unfortunately due to the company's "policy" they will not ship it to an 03-FFL. Perfectly legal, but we're ascared. [sad]

Thats what Ive heard as well, but I have a guy telling me (and others) that the russian round was so weak that the revolvers cant handle .32 S&W. I hear of people shooting .32 H&R Mag all the time with no ill effects.

If anyone has all three pressures handy, and can think of any reason it would be dangerous, I'd appreciate it.

"The unusual 7.62mm Nagant cartridge itself was specifically designed for use with the gas seal system and featured an extended, slightly bottle-necked case that completely enclosed the bullet, giving the appearance of a blank cartridge. The round fires a 97 grain, flat-nosed lead bullet at 1080 feet per second, developing a muzzle energy of 290 foot pounds. Those ballistics are quite comparable to the modern .32 Magnum revolver cartridge."

.32 ACP cylinders can be had for around $75 as well.

Whenever "I have a guy telling me", I do some research.

Well the research I have done was before I had "a guy telling me" and what hes posting is that a Nagant can not handle the pressure from a .32 S&W, let alone a .32 Mag. What I found (a couple months ago) was that the gun can in fact shoot these rounds, but it bulges the cases and they aren't very accurate If the pressure of .32 S&W is less than 7.62 Nagant, and comparable to .32 Mag, then I'd like to give numbers to back it up. I just cant look up the numbers at work, all the reloading sites are blocked.

Last edited:
I've fired both .32 S&W Short and .32 S&W Long in a Nagant. [grin]
It does bulge out the cases of the .32 Longs.
Both of the .32 loads (at least, the ones I had) were pretty anemic. I can't imagine that there's any pressure risk there. (my opinion, not based on any data!) Remember that the actual mil loading for the Nagant is 1100 fps, not the paintball-like velocity of the Fiocchi/Prvi/Hotshot commercial ammo.

I'm not sure I'd fire a .32 H&R Mag. Wiki says they're up to 1200 or so fps, so they may be higher pressure.

I've been cutting down and reloading my Nagant brass. I'll start a new thread in the reloading forum and stick a link here: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...agant-7.62x38R-Revolver?p=1981357#post1981357

55_grain

Last edited:
I've shot several hundred rounds of S&W Long through my Nagant with no issues whatsoever. The brass does bulge occasionally, but that's more to do with the chambers than pressure. It's a pretty weak round, I wouldn't worry about it. I bought a bunch of Aguila when it was cheap and it has worked great for me.

From Cartridges of the World.

No info on pressures for these rounds, but here's what I did find.

Caliberfpsft-lbsBullet Wgt (gr)
32 S&W70511598
32 Long70511598
32 H&R Mag103022595
7.62 Nagant1100290108

If you can get down my way, we can reload the original 7.62x38R cases and retain the gas sealing nature of this cartridge.

Not the clearest picture, but it can be done...
ZHSSsIR.jpg

I have a 32 ACP cylinder,and also shoot 32 long out of my Nagant revolvers with no issue's .

Back
Top Bottom