• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.308 rifle won't go into battery?

je25ff

NES Member
So I took out my .308 range rifle to clean and oil, put a magazine in, cycled some rounds all good. Then I tried to put the bolt bank and it's doing this...there's no obstruction, I think the bolt group is screwed up. Any thoughts?

IMG_4795.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4797.JPG
    IMG_4797.JPG
    223.9 KB · Views: 15
Somehow the slide got a knick on it and is preventing the bolt from going into battery. Super.

looks like you allowed it to slip down into the fired position by rotating. pull that striker back and twist it up the ramp to the right so it sits in the cocked position.

I did that to my mauser once.
You might just be right on the bolt piece.

So I took out my .308 range rifle to clean and oil, put a magazine in, cycled some rounds all good. Then I tried to put the bolt bank and it's doing this...there's no obstruction, I think the bolt group is screwed up. Any thoughts?

View attachment 410724
not sure what you did?
seems all was good after you cleaned it , then you did something and nmow its messed up?

What kind of rifle is it?
It's a custom .308 'range rifle' so it's pretty heavy and all. I think the comment that the bolt is incorrect is likely. I'm not sure how that occurred. I modded this by removing the internal magazine so it will take a 5 or 10 round external magazine and it's worked just fine for years. I just cleaned it and tested the magazine to make sure it cycled. After I did that, the bolt wouldn't go into battery. Pretty sure that's where I screwed up. I think I need to get the bolt assembly correct.

It's a custom .308 'range rifle' so it's pretty heavy and all. I think the comment that the bolt is incorrect is likely. I'm not sure how that occurred. I modded this by removing the internal magazine so it will take a 5 or 10 round external magazine and it's worked just fine for years. I just cleaned it and tested the magazine to make sure it cycled. After I did that, the bolt wouldn't go into battery. Pretty sure that's where I screwed up. I think I need to get the bolt assembly correct.
Im still missing something?
You did a mod, all worked fine....then something happened?
Did you take the rifle appart again after checking your magazine mod? Disasembly the bolt?
better pics and more details.
its not going into battery because you cant even get the bolt back in .......

Im still missing something?
You did a mod, all worked fine....then something happened?
Did you take the rifle appart again after checking your magazine mod? Disasembly the bolt?
better pics and more details.
its not going into battery because you cant even get the bolt back in .......

Yeah I explained it badly. The internal magazine mod has worked fine for years, but I initially suspected it had some sort of fault preventing the bolt assembly from going into battery. I think what I did is test cycling rounds to just check it was functional and it left the bolt in a manner that isn't allowing it to be moved forward. It's basically a Remington 700 bolt. I don't have much experience with them, so I'm just sitting on it to see if I can just change the bolt from cocked/de-cocked without screwing anything up really.

Possibly the mag follower is cocked up in the back and is hitting the bolt? Tough to help with just pics.

Yeah I explained it badly. The internal magazine mod has worked fine for years, but I initially suspected it had some sort of fault preventing the bolt assembly from going into battery. I think what I did is test cycling rounds to just check it was functional and it left the bolt in a manner that isn't allowing it to be moved forward. It's basically a Remington 700 bolt. I don't have much experience with them, so I'm just sitting on it to see if I can just change the bolt from cocked/de-cocked without screwing anything up really.
Just turn the piece at the end so it goes up the ramp and cocked.

Can you drop the mag , do you need to pull the trigger to get the bolt in?
I know there are a lot of similar designs out there but is it a 700 action or not?
Been 20 yrs since I touched a 700
Boot lace to pull the pin assembly back and rotate it to align the “notch”
Or cocked position , make sure the bolt release catch is not frozen or damaged

Are you even getting the bolt far enough in to have magazine or mag follower interference ?

Last edited:
I am 99% sure it's because I cycled rounds without firing and the bolt is stuck in a firing state. It won't go into battery. I've checked schematics and online videos and all, but I honestly have no knowledge of this bolt. Might just take it to the guys in Clinton, MA. see what they can do.

I am 99% sure it's because I cycled rounds without firing and the bolt is stuck in a firing state. It won't go into battery. I've checked schematics and online videos and all, but I honestly have no knowledge of this bolt. Might just take it to the guys in Clinton, MA. see what they can do.
Everything you you described is a malfunction long before “battery”
If its a rem 700 bolt rotate the “cocking” knob so its cocked and reinstall the bolt?
If you did a magazine mod you should be able to get the bolt in

It's so obvious from these pictures but I just don't know how to reset the bolt. I'm not at this 24/7 , Queen lol..appreciate you're help immensely though. I think the bolt assembly just needs to be uncocked. IMG_4824.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4825.JPG
    IMG_4825.JPG
    183.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4826.JPG
    IMG_4826.JPG
    285.2 KB · Views: 25
Everything you you described is a malfunction long before “battery”
If its a rem 700 bolt rotate the “cocking” knob so its cocked and reinstall the bolt?
If you did a magazine mod you should be able to get the bolt in
You're right I mentioned previously I think I described it incorrectly. The issue is that the bolt is still cockedit seems. I have zero knowledge of Remington 700 bolts. I got it to move up and rotate but with so much effort I didn't want to damage it.

Edit: I got the bolt to at least release.

Attachments

• IMG_4827.JPG
    IMG_4827.JPG
    211.1 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Yep, off to a gun smith I'm man enough to know what I don't know. Thanks for everyone's replies, I really do appreciate it.

The silver part with the two inline shark fins is the back end of the firing pin. It needed to be pulled back (against the firing pin spring pressure) so you could turn the back end of the bolt clockwise as you're looking at the back of the bolt.

Your bolt is cock on open. So, if you were to imagine the bolt closed, the two lugs on the back of the bolt would be sitting in the cutouts on the back of the receiver. When you lift the bolt handle, it turns the front of the bolt, and the firing pin rides up the ramp to the cocked position. Then you pull the bolt back and as you push it forward again, the firing pin catches on the sear so it stays back when you lower the bolt handle.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGbV8hp0pqU

The first 3:45 is pretty much what you need to see.

And I'm curious how you managed to unscrew the back of the bolt without moving the firing pin.

Back
Top Bottom