.308 reloading woes (Burden Primed?)

I was going through and re-sizing a bunch of mixed head stamp 308 before sorting and broke all my decapping pins... Would burden primers on some of the brass cause this? I can't imagine there are any crimps strong enough to break decapping pins... now I need to order more :(

Mike

You can't decap berdan with the standard decapping pin. You will break the pins. Most people throw out berdan primed brass, just to be rid of the headache, although you technically can reload it, it is just alot more work.

Here's how this guy does it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qH8pBybcTg

- - - Updated - - -

Are there two flash holes offset from center looking down in the case?

- - - Updated - - -

boarguns-comparison.jpg

The cases were probably Berdan primed. Sort and group all of your brass by headstamp before sizing, look inside a case from each group, and scrap the all the brass from the headstamps that have two flash holes (indicating a Berdan primer).

Don't try to reload them even if you take the time to deprime them - You need the proper Berdan primers (no anvil), and you're unlikely to find them.

Berdan primers do come up but sell out very fast. Even more so now that cmp has new vintage classes. Also there's a lot of guys with cals that arehard to get boxer primed brass for at decent prices. 308 is not likely one of cals that fall under this area.

Yeah, I'll be sorting by headstamp moving forward. Never run into this before, and after breaking my third decapping pin I figured "**** I bet these are burden primed."

Mike

I broke my new .308 Hornady Decapper/Resizer last night on LC Brass.

The crimped primers were causing problems, I kept reseating the decapping pin, lower and lower. It got too low, the resizer contacted the base of the shell, bent the rod, and broke the pin.

KTP is out of Lee Universal Decappers, so I have one on order from Midway now.

Lessons learned.

(And I even looked over all the brass to make sure I didn't have any Berdan primers too).

I did up a video recently regarding reloading berdan steel cases with modified boxer primers in a pinch, when supplies might be limited. It worked very well and while taking more step it was not difficult and requires no special tools. I am also working on a video on converting berdan cases to accept standard boxer primers. There is a lot of berdan stuff out there and when supplies run low you might want to reload it. Of course you would be best off sticking to boxer brass or buying berdan primers but hey, its info that might be handy to have if you ever have to 'work with what you've got.' [grin]

SHTF: Reloading Steel Case berdan ammo with regular primers in a pinch. 7.62x39 Tulammo Wolf - YouTube

Some boxer-primed cases can be a bear with a heavily-crimped primer, but an errant spent primer dropping into a case can also bend/break your decap pin as well.
Sorting brass is essential before sizing/decapping any brass. You learned your lesson.
Berdan-primed brass can be reloaded, but it is a bit more involved. Personally, I do it with 7.62x39/51/54R, 6.5x55, 7.5x55, 8mm and .303 British, to name a few. With readily-available .308 Win. boxer-primed brass, why bother, unless you just want to prove you can do it.
Although not nearly as common, you may come across .38 Special and other common calibers with berdan primers. The anvil dimple can look like a boxer-primed flash hole...look carefully! Berdan cases may have one, two or three flash holes. I haven't seen more than three yet!

I went through about 200pcs of 2011 and 2012 LC 5.56 brass that had 3 deep punch marks crimping in the primer rather than the usual recessed ring crimping the primer. Those primers pushed out really hard.

And I thought it was just me... I broke the .308 decapping pin in my RCBS die over the weekend. Same thing... hard to get the primers out. No Berdan that I found. Just some damn stuck primers. RCBS is sending me a new one on them since I only bought the die set last month.

If you find 50 or so cases sitting on the range its for a reason. Almost like a bait car!

Not .308 exactly, but I've found Igman brass (HotShot?) to have incredibly small flash holes on their 6.5x55. It keeps pulling the pin from my decap die on removal. Once I drilled the flash holes a tad, no more grief. You could likely break a pin on these, too if you're too aggressive.

And I thought it was just me... I broke the .308 decapping pin in my RCBS die over the weekend. Same thing... hard to get the primers out. No Berdan that I found. Just some damn stuck primers. RCBS is sending me a new one on them since I only bought the die set last month.

Must be something in the air. . .

I never thought to contact Hornady about mine, this was the first batch for me on these dies.

Use a Lee Decapping Die. Pin never breaks, just pushes up.

This. The LEE universal decapping die is good gear. Chuck the decapping pin in a drill and taper/bevel the decapping pin shoulder for use in small necked cases (like 5.56).

Given the political climate (and the component drought) it is unwise to discard ANY components--even Berdan brass. It IS a bit more work to prep for reload--but all things are relative. It is a lot easier than say making brass out of dirt.

You also might want to look at "hydraulic decapping". Just google--vids are available.

That being said--some military Berdan can a hopeless task, depending on the lacquer sealer and/or the crimp.

A friend in a free state could order you Berdan primes here:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Look under Primers/Tula/Berdan large-rifle.

Berdan primers are one of the few types still available. The come in various sizes--you want the 7.62 NATO size.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey where do you get new decapping pins? i broke my 30-06 one (LEE dies)... and ALMOST broke my 308. one on a berdan primed case but i suspected it when i felt resistence so i pulled it out and took a small drill bit and drilled thru the primer... sure enough it was....

hey where do you get new decapping pins? i broke my 30-06 one (LEE dies)... and ALMOST broke my 308. one on a berdan primed case but i suspected it when i felt resistence so i pulled it out and took a small drill bit and drilled thru the primer... sure enough it was....

Midwayusa.com

Navel Officer, where are you getting berdan primers for the .303? All mine are 1/4 inch. None are .217".
I deprimed some 303 to find the. 250 primer pocket. I have not seen any berdan primers other than the. 217 "Nato" large rifle primers. Which do fine in my 8 mm and 54r brass.
I don't know the difference between the berdan primers advertised as 762x39 primers and the 762 Nato?

I would like to order some more berdan primers split a case with some one? They are not really "cheap" but I have plenty of free berdan brass in 8 mm. Rather use that in my cast loads than the 60 or so Pcs of boxer..

Back
Top Bottom