• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

300 through a 223 barrel

What dafuq? How did it even chamber?

-Mike

It kind of looks like it didn't. The case is a little deformed just ahead of the extractor groove, but maybe that was done posthumously.

Alternate option: the genius reamed the chamber for 300 BLK but didn't consider the "slight" diameter difference of the bore.

Either way, I bet that was a fun day.

- - - Updated - - -

some funny FB posts with it...
What the BC?
What twist barrel is needed to stabilize?

HA HA HA. I'm going with very good BC (although it never did make it to the ballistic part of its travels) and the twist rate of that barrel seemed to have stabilized it very well.

300 Blackout cases start off identical to .223/5.56 cases, but are shorter and necked different. We've converted a good number of .223/5.56 cases into 300 Blackout, which is pretty easy to do. I've not tried to see if a 300 Blackout round would chamber in a 5.56 barrel, since I'm not brain damaged. Plus I don't want to have to fight to get the round back out (if it gets stuck).

IMO, the guy is lucky he only sent one round into the barrel. A second shot would have been a very bad thing. It also looks like the gasses blew out part of the back of the case, since they needed someplace to get out.

I hope that whoever put that rifle together checks what's marked on each and every barrel moving forward.

Did they put a price tag onto the cost of the FUBAR??

Oh, and more 300 Blackout barrels are 1:8 twist, with more coming out with 1:7 twist (considered better by AAC I believe).

- - - Updated - - -

Dam that billet stretched

You mean bullet?? Why don't you get rid of your [cr]apple phone and get something without a busted screen??

That is an extremely thick and short barrel in the OP. Are we sure it wasn't a test barrel that was really over built just to test this scenario?

result of squib followed by a 2nd round fired

fal_kb1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom