300 Blackout: Best Cartridge You Don't Need {POUT} nutnfancy

I like my 300 blk sbr. Pistol powder = less concussive force out of a short barrel and more energy = awesome.

Now a 16" 300blk? Nah

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

The round really comes into its own when it's suppressed, especially subsonic/suppressed, which is, IIRC, why it was designed.

That's 5 subsonic, 5 supersonic, 5 subsonic suppressed, 5 supersonic suppressed, and then 8 subsonic suppressed.

220gr subsonic suppressed is quite a quiet thumper.

ETA: F that verbose idiot Fancy Nutsack. I swear the guy talks and acts like he's had a debilitating stroke.

Last edited by a moderator:
My home defense gun is 300blk SBR, supersonic ammo with suppressor. Reason: full speed out of a 9" barrel. My trunk gun is a 300blk pistol, supersonic ammo with suppressor. Because its a pistol, I can take it to 40ish states under my carry permit without needing to worry about rifle laws or NFA restrictions.

Can anyone explain using subsonic for defense? Sure, its quiet, but 1000fps with a 220 bullet is .45ACP ballistics. I would much rather have supersonic terminal ballistics.

Last edited:
300 was made for and excels at SBR suppressed. It was not designed for 400 yards, period.

My home defense gun is 300blk SBR, supersonic ammo with suppressor. Reason: full speed out of a 9" barrel. My trunk gun is a 300blk pistol, supersonic ammo with suppressor. Because its a pistol, I can take it to 40ish states under my carry permit without needing to worry about rifle laws or NFA restrictions.

Can anyone explain using subsonic for defense? Sure, its quiet, but 1000fps with a 220 bullet is .45ACP ballistics. I would much rather have supersonic terminal ballistics.

If you're going to run a can, why not use it to it's fullest advantage? 300blk subsonic is quieter than some air rifles I've shot.

there is endless discussion about 300 blk on approx 100 different forums. it is what it is. the expectations of the cartridge are often unrealistic and people become either fanboys or haters with almost no experience.

the 300 blk is quite remarkable for what it does. it provides .30 caliber ballistics out an AR that only requires a barrel change. same bolt, extractor, etc. people often forget how cool this is if consider historically. the subsonic vs. supersonic is also huge. for example a 300 blk SBR ballistically really shines. it whoops a .223 SBR.

in terms of long range, i have shot 120gr FMJ's out to 300 yards. it's doable. the ballistic coefficients for many of the 300 blk projectiles are good, but muzzle velocity is nothing amazing. any standard 7.62x39 is better at 300 yards, and even that's not a great cartridge compared to a 5.56 77gr OTM.

Because subsonic's terminal ballistics is pretty feeble

well the 220gr subsonic HP's will drop a deer very quickly and easily. yes the muzzle energy is similar to a 45acp but far higher ballistic coefficient and terminal ballistics. try shooting some watermelons with them. pretty devastating stuff.

persoanlly if you're looking for a wicked 300 blk defensive round i would try the hornady V-max projectile. this loading in .223 absolutely annhilitates a water bottle from 20-300 yards. it makes XM193 look like shit.

Last edited:
there is endless discussion about 300 blk on approx 100 different forums. it is what it is. the expectations of the cartridge are often unrealistic and people become either fanboys or haters with almost no experience.

well the 220gr subsonic HP's will drop a deer very quickly and easily. yes the muzzle energy is similar to a 45acp but far higher ballistic coefficient and terminal ballistics.

Who makes a good subsonic hp round? Any gel tests available?

I like the 300 but unless being ran suppressed I don't see that point. If you want an AR for deer or large game under 200 yards you have the big boys 450 bushmaster 458 socom or 50 beowolf. If you want a round to take deer out farther you have the 6.5 Grendel or the 6.8 spc. I owned a 300 and it was fun to shoot but sold it. Now that wolf is making ammo for the Grendel I don't see any advantage to the blackout except for suppressed work.

Who makes a good subsonic hp round? Any gel tests available?

many options out there. very little testing has been done. personally i woudl go with the hornady round and test it.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/300-a...ch-hollow-point-boat-tail-subsonic-box-of-20/

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/9...-subsonic-208-grain-a-max-boat-tail-box-of-20

LeHigh Defense "maximum expansion"
http://www.lehighdefense.com/collec...nic-maximum-expansion-ammo?variant=1066138648

---
also checkout this article. he tests both subsonic hornady rounds (A-max vs V-max). personally the V-max is my favorite.

http://www.outdoorhub.com/stories/2...erent-300-blackout-loads-terminal-ballistics/

Last edited by a moderator:
in terms of long range, i have shot 120gr FMJ's out to 300 yards. it's doable. the ballistic coefficients for many of the 300 blk projectiles are good, .

I built a 16" 300blk AR for 110gr Barnes VOR-TX for deer hunting in the woods in Vermont (6 rd mags max) specifically for when FUDD's say "no hunter needs a gun like that" I can say "**** You, *******, I hunt deer with mine as effectively as you with your 30-06".

Haven't used it yet...

Whats the POU (philosophy of use) for 300 blackout?

Not sure if you're asking a deeper question, but down here they use it suppressed to hunt hogs. It's been a while since I looked into it, but a slightly harder hitting round out of a fairly standard rifle build (as others have said, just change the upper).I have yet to go on a hunt, hopefully soon I'll get the chance.

Or, if you are an assassin, yeah that's the ticket.

Whats the POU (philosophy of use) for 300 blackout?
Non blinding and deafening SBR caliber.

223 cannot go as short as 300 blk, and it looses alot of energy when it does, and 300 blk has far more energy than 9mm

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Mall ninja work. It has a cool name ("blackout!!!!") so you need to have one.

I'm going to invent a round and call it a ".301 HairchestfootballbeersteakBJpoonslayer" and make a billion dollars off young shooters

Using the ultimate mall-ninja term ("POU") to call something "mall-ninja" is bitterly ironic.

I shoot 125 grain 300BLk 2200 fps out of a precision 16" barrel and I love it. I don't care what anyone else thinks about it. ☺ I can tell you this, it creates much more dynamic responses from berm targets than my 223's.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I shoot 125 grain 300BLk 2200 fps out of a precision 16" barrel and I love it. I don't care what anyone else thinks about it. ☺ I can tell you this, it creates much more dynamic responses from berm targets than my 223's.

Strategic Dynamic Response with Tactical Implementations?

I think people are attracted to the "cool" factor as far as being able to use the same rifle with just a barrel change. Ive gone over it and over it in my head and i bought a 308, if im gonna pay near double as 223 for ammo, i may as well get my moneys worth.
How quiet do u need it to be when ur deer hunting? Its not like ur out there mag dumping in the woods. At the range i guess its good, but if u have a few people around u running non suppressed then ur gonna have ur ear pro on anyway.
I really don't see that much of an advantage over 556 or 308, its not a replacement for either.
And if u want to see water bottles explode, then use the 308.

I really don't see that much of an advantage over 556 or 308, its not a replacement for either.

The only advantage is being able to run suppressed with subsonic or supersonic ammo on the same gas setting, reliably. Other than that it's a novelty caliber IMO, no point in investing in one for unsupressed uses.

The only advantage is being able to run suppressed with subsonic or supersonic ammo on the same gas setting, reliably. Other than that it's a novelty caliber IMO, no point in investing in one for unsupressed uses.

I have to disagree. The real advantage, as listed above somewhere, is being able to shoot a larger caliber cartridge with the same BCG, magazines, etc. with only the barrel (and muzzle device) changing. Everything else remains the same, something .308, 7.62x39, 6.8SPC, etc. cannot say. The only parts on my two .300BLK uppers that are different from all my other ARs are the barrel, crush washer, and flash hider. Absolutely everything else is the same. There's no "premium" to be paid for different BCG or magazines, etc.

It's not the caliber for everyone and everything, but when someone finds a caliber that is, let me know so I can go get a rifle chambered in it.

Strategic Dynamic Response with Tactical Implementations?
No, just a thump on the shoulder and stuff exploding on the berm. I wouldn't consider anything I do all that tactical.

I think people are attracted to the "cool" factor as far as being able to use the same rifle with just a barrel change. Ive gone over it and over it in my head and i bought a 308, if im gonna pay near double as 223 for ammo, i may as well get my moneys worth.
How quiet do u need it to be when ur deer hunting? Its not like ur out there mag dumping in the woods. At the range i guess its good, but if u have a few people around u running non suppressed then ur gonna have ur ear pro on anyway.
And if u want to see water bottles explode, then use the 308.

Everyone I know that shoots 300BO reloads. Considering the amount of .223 left over from a qual day, there's plenty of brass to cut down and resize. Only thing you have to actually buy are the primer/projectile/powder. The reloading allowed him to really tweak what his gun likes both su and super sonic.

Back
Top Bottom