$30 Electronic Muffs at Dicks??

Any one tried these? Saw them today. They do not have a brand name on them. Black muffs labeled Electronic Ear Muffs. They are not on Dick's site.

I want a pair of electronics put don't want to pay the big prices for some of them. I will NEED them very infrequently.

I have 3 sets of $30 muffs, I think from Sportsmans Guide. They work great.

The cheapie ones I see everywhere, with all different names on them, all seem to look alike. Wouldn't surprise me if they were all made by the same company.

Try em, you'll like em.

My wife got me a set from Dicks for Christmas and they were so cheap that they weren't worth the 30-smackers...The wiring inside was barely soldered and the batteries popped the contacts free when I installed them. They went back.....And stayed back....

The price difference between bargain ear muffs and the best you can buy is insignificant - far less than another gun, more like a few boxes of ammo. You will never be given another set of ears and you can't buy another set at any price. There are many places to save money in this sport, but ear protection is not one of them. Buy the best, not the best you can afford, and certainly not an off-brand bargain. I use Peltor Tac 7's, often supplemented with plugs. Once your hearing is gone, it's gone for a lifetime.

I bought some $39.95 cheapo muffs and sent them back immediately. I now have some Peltor Tac 6 muffs (about $75 from Natchez) that work pretty well but the NRR is only about 20. Sooner or later I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a real set of electronic muffs (NRR close to 30) and pay the price, about $250.

Pilgrim, either of these the ones you have?
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=287046
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=359175

I do often wear plugs with my muffs now. Just want something for training, etc. when there is an RO. Other than that I shoot by myself and often only wear the plugs as they work pretty good when inserted correctly.

I will check out the Tac muffs though.

It's these:

although they have the guidegear logo on them. I've had them for maybe 3 years and they do a great job. I have one for me, one for my wife and one for whomever else goes with us. When I got them, they were $30.

My son borrows them for his police qualifications.

Spending a lot more money can buy you more quality and comfort, but don't think that you can't get top quality protection on the cheap. I've got several old sets of of non-electronic Silencios (NRR 29), and the $25 Caldwell electronic muffs I got for students to use in classes are also rated NRR 29. Neither one is as slim as I'd like, particularly for long guns, they're slightly heaver than some more expensive brands, but the simple fact is that they protect hearing every bit as well.

Ken

Pilgrim, either of these the ones you have?
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=359175

I do often wear plugs with my muffs now. Just want something for training, etc. when there is an RO. Other than that I shoot by myself and often only wear the plugs as they work pretty good when inserted correctly.

I will check out the Tac muffs though.

Ear plugs alone may not be sufficient protection. Sound is transmitted through the skull so muffs are necessary to to protect the area surrounding the ear.

The price difference between bargain ear muffs and the best you can buy is insignificant - far less than another gun, more like a few boxes of ammo. You will never be given another set of ears and you can't buy another set at any price. There are many places to save money in this sport, but ear protection is not one of them. Buy the best, not the best you can afford, and certainly not an off-brand bargain. I use Peltor Tac 7's, often supplemented with plugs. Once your hearing is gone, it's gone for a lifetime.

Dick,

I couldn't agree more... but you've got to look at the NRR rating.

The cheap $30 Caldwel's I have have a NRR of 27.

Your Peltor's have a NRR of 24.

That 3dB change is about a factor of 2 in power reduction. There are some very expensive Muffs out there with very low NRR. I don't get it. It's like they charge more for small form factor, but you are really getting less.

That said, I agree entirely with your sentiment and use ear plugs under my Caldwells. The Caldwells are bulky for rifle shooting, and a little heavy on the heavy side.

Matt

I have the ones just like the Sportsman's Guide.
I'm pleased with my purchase and the $29 they cost.
I like the way the microphones can be pointed by turning the muffs around. The mics toward the front is good when shooting with others, so that you can talk, and by turning the muffs around I can hear the range commands and buzzer better.

Once your hearing is gone, it's gone for a lifetime.

What did you say?[wink] Sorry, had to say it.

About 5 years ago I got tired of saying "What?" all the time so I went and got my hearing tested. The audiologist told me "You have perfect hearing...for a 70 year old." I'm 36 and can't understand what they say on the TV only 5 ft away.

Protect you ears folks. Once it's gone, it's gone.[sad2]

The Midway ad that arrived yesterday has a pair of $20 electronic muffs... same ones? Says Caldwell Sound-Right ES-85 Stereo Electronic Earmuffs, NRR 27dB.

I already have a pair that I paid $200 for a few years ago but I was thinking of also getting these. I think the NRR is a little higher plus its always handy to have an extra pair to hand to a newbie guest that I may be bringing.

The ones I have now are Pro Ear. They have 8X amplification (of non-gun sounds) which makes it fun... I can hear footsteps 500 feet away, especially on gravel. No one will ever sneak up on me while I'm at the range.)

Got my new pair in today (4 days it took ) from Cabella's Seem ok.. for $35 ...27db. Let you all know after the clinic this weekend!

Got my new pair in today (4 days it took ) from Cabella's Seem ok.. for $35 ...27db. Let you all know after the clinic this weekend!

I tried a pair and sent them right back. The electronics are crude at best.

Back
Top Bottom