3/10 Big E show thoughts?

Anyone go today? I figured I'd see some posts by now with thoughts on what was there and how the prices were.

Me too - it's only a 1/2 hour from here and I was too tired to go today, (long week) and would like to save myself the time if it's a waste. My experience has been 50/50 - some have been great, some haven't....

I went there for 1 reason and accomplished my goal--and left $1600 poorer! Damn pre-ban addiction of mine has got to stop! LOL

NIB Uzi Pistol with 3 mags....

I actually had Zero Hour Arms get one for me and I picked it up at their table today.

I paid WAY to much for it since Gunbroker has them for $1000 NIB all day long but as we all know, they must have been in the state prior to 1994 hence the price increase.

Yup, I got there today at about 10am. Only about a billion folks there. No, really, the place was mobbed. Everytime I attend a gun show in Mass, I'm amazed at the level of intense shopping/buying/haggeling going on. Men (and a few women), on a mission. For the admission price, it is still, by far, the best people watching anywhere. Buyers and sellers... God bless capitalism.
I'm also amazed by the fact that they even exist here in PRM at all. It makes me smile broadly knowing how the anti's must hate us old bastards still here, flaunting our RKBA attitude. Yup, today reminded me that middle-aged, overweight, balding, greybeards, with cash in hand, are still getting it done. IN MASSACHUSETTS, NO LESS.
Staying right here, doing my part...

I picked up a Savage Model 64 .22 at the show for $120 OTD.

The show was quite busy for most of the day. However I was disappointed at how few the venders that were there. Of course it has been 10 years since I went to the Springfield show.

Last edited:
NIB Uzi Pistol with 3 mags....

I actually had Zero Hour Arms get one for me and I picked it up at their table today.

I paid WAY to much for it since Gunbroker has them for $1000 NIB all day long but as we all know, they must have been in the state prior to 1994 hence the price increase.

NICE!!!! See uou on UziTalk! [smile] $1600 is way too much, but I would have jumped as well...Sometimes ya just gotta say WTF!!! [wink]

My observation, from the other side of the table, was really, really bad. As a gun buying public, people really SUCK.

Today I was asked 3 times if I had any AK's for sale... While the person asking was looking at 4 romanian AKs on top of there boxes. I was asked what caliber the FN PS90 was atleast a dozen times. I was asked if a Norinco Model 87 was OK for SASS competition... Seriously, if your a SASS shooter, and lever shotguns are your bag, why wouldn't you know? I was told straight out that an EA cast AR-15 lower marked J-15 wasn't preban, even though EA went out of business before the ban was enacted. I was asked four times why a double stack AK cost more then a single stack AK. I was asked twice when the MA legal AKs would be imported again.

And the people from out of state are even worse... I had to rush some jackass kids from RI away when they started spewing crap about how we where clearly trying to rip off everyone cause we had H&K and Glock pistols for normal(ish) MA prices. I can't count how many CT residents try to buy 7.62x39 AKs every show. They are illegal in your state... Get over it. Why are these people even going to gun shows in MA? Its against MA law for a non-resident to buy a gun from a MA dealer!

For everyone that ever says anything about how rude or offish the dealers are at these shows, I'll trade places with you anytime.

--EasyD

My observation, from the other side of the table, was really, really bad. As a gun buying public, people really SUCK.

Today I was asked 3 times if I had any AK's for sale... While the person asking was looking at 4 romanian AKs on top of there boxes. I was asked what caliber the FN PS90 was atleast a dozen times. I was asked if a Norinco Model 87 was OK for SASS competition... Seriously, if your a SASS shooter, and lever shotguns are your bag, why wouldn't you know? I was told straight out that an EA cast AR-15 lower marked J-15 wasn't preban, even though EA went out of business before the ban was enacted. I was asked four times why a double stack AK cost more then a single stack AK. I was asked twice when the MA legal AKs would be imported again.

And the people from out of state are even worse... I had to rush some jackass kids from RI away when they started spewing crap about how we where clearly trying to rip off everyone cause we had H&K and Glock pistols for normal(ish) MA prices. I can't count how many CT residents try to buy 7.62x39 AKs every show. They are illegal in your state... Get over it. Why are these people even going to gun shows in MA? Its against MA law for a non-resident to buy a gun from a MA dealer!

For everyone that ever says anything about how rude or offish the dealers are at these shows, I'll trade places with you anytime.

--EasyD

Having been on both sides of the table, I can understand. I spent many a show with my good friend in Ohio just wanting to tear my eyeballs out.... However at the same time, I have been in the presence of dealers for whom I felt I needed a shower after being in their presence and listening to their B/S about what a "rare" mixmaster M1 Carbine I was looking at...I guess it cuts both ways - nature of the beast.

I'll stop by tomorrow and quiz you endlessly on the whole single stack vs double stack thing...Just kidding...You sound like a good dealer surrounded by madness...I'm in mental health, so I'll bring you some meds... [grin]

PS: You may want to add a qualifier: As a gun buying public some people SUCK. We're not all bad... Good luck tomorrow - hope it's better on Sunday....

Last edited:
I was at the Springfield show yesterday AM and indeed the number of sellers is dwindling every show. I managed to pick up a sweet 1941 walnut 98% K31 with sling and aluminum muzzle cover just as the show opened. The biggest thing I hate is getting hosed on parking; BTW even the dealers have to pay parking!

--EasyD

If you get a person asking you if an AR can take AK mags,that would be me.[smile]

I was one of the first ones in the door this morning and was quite depressed. About 1/3 of the hall was empty. It took me only 45 minutes to stroll (not walk, but a slow stroll) through the exhibits. Still a fair amount of guns for sale, even some that were somewhat reasonably priced. Just nothing that piqued my interest.

I got there at about 10 and was there until about 3 just browsing. What did make me a little peeved was that when I finally got to the back of the show, there was a whole third of the hall empty. WTF is the point of pushing all the tables up the the front and cramming them together only to leave the back half open? I went with the hopes of finding an AR or maybe a 357/38 revolver for carry but came home with nothing. I did almost buy the AR for $800 sitting on one of the tables but almost doesn't count for anything. I was slightly disappointed as it was my first show and was expecting less of the old stuff and more of the ARs, AKs, modern handguns, etc but I will definitely go to others again.

The best part was when I was all done and ready to go I decided to hit the ammo tent (disappointed again). As soon as I got in there some guy (said he worked with the promoters) came up to me and started bitching me out for having a camera (Canon Digital Rebel XTi - not a small camera) around my neck. I told him I didn't know they weren't allowed as I had had it on ALL day and no one (not the ticket lady, the cop at the entrance, the ticket taker at the door, anyone else inside the show) said anything to me about not being able to have them there. I told him I was leaving anyway and just left. HAHA.

Last edited:
It's sad to say but this show was not as good as Danvers as far as selling goes.
I did manage to buy a few bits and pieces here and there for cheap money like an M48 Mauser marked Bosnian but clearly a Yugo for around 140.00.
Some USGI stuff like canteens and helmets etc....
A nice 1903 bolt and a front sight cover.
LOTS of strange folks there today!!! It was funny to look at them, hey, you have to either laugh or pull your gun! I will laugh.
There was one example of a kid (17ish) who clearly did not have his FID or anything monkeying with an AR at The table, no problem, lets get our youth interested..........he was doing mini mag changing drills in the aisle scaring the shit out of everyone!
He was pulling the mag out putting it in his pocket and reaching in as fast as he could trying to re insert it and then bringing it to aim.
He was dancing and spinning around! God bless his small mind! I was clearly amused but some of the other guys were annoyed.
He then exclaimed that he was going to make a film and needed to brush up on his gun skills..........we pointed him over to the airsoft table.

Having been on both sides of the table, I can understand. I spent many a show with my good friend in Ohio just wanting to tear my eyeballs out.... However at the same time, I have been in the presence of dealers for whom I felt I needed a shower after being in their presence and listening to their B/S about what a "rare" mixmaster M1 Carbine I was looking at...I guess it cuts both ways - nature of the beast.

I'll stop by tomorrow and quiz you endlessly on the whole single stack vs double stack thing...Just kidding...You sound like a good dealer surrounded by madness...I'm in mental health, so I'll bring you some meds... [grin]

PS: You may want to add a qualifier: As a gun buying public some people SUCK. We're not all bad... Good luck tomorrow - hope it's better on Sunday....

Its funny you should mention the meds thing... I've been off Effexor now for 10 days or so, and everyone keeps telling me how quickly I get annoyed now... I kinda like it tho!

Your correct, its really some that SUCK. I guess I just buy guns, and most things for that matter, differently then other people. I see a gun I want, I usually just say "I'll take that one."

--EasyD

It did seem like a smaller show than last time I went - not very crowded today, either. I wonder if the warm weather kept people outside?

Found a decent 12ga Savage 720 - their version of the Auto-5. It needs a good cleanup and some stock work, but the price was right. Also picked up another AR upper that I didn't really need, but bought anyway.

EasyD: So that was your PS90! I took a quick look at it - neat little gadget. I'm glad I didn't run into any of your 'prize' shoppers today - I don't think I could tolerate them anymore. I used to work retail at a ski shop, and there are idiot customers everywhere, designed to annoy. Most of them aren't bad, but those weren't the ones I would remember!

I'll keep going to the show, because it's the closest to Worthington, but it isn't great. I'll keep paying the parking, and I usually come away with something that I wanted/needed. It might just be parts and some pretty good jerky, but it's enough.

Kevin

Again it sounds like it's smaller than Marlboro these days.

Vendors don't pay for tables and then decide "it's too nice today, I'll stay home". Empty tables/hall means the promoter didn't sell them!

Parking: Many vendors are pissed as they KNOW that Carole is GIVEN (as in "free") a few hundred parking passes to give to vendors, but she SELLS them instead for $5.00 each (no discount). The dealers have to pay the parking for ALL their help! So, they are pissed and I think some are choosing to ignore the Big E.

ETA: Glad we went to Mohegan Sun yesterday and today instead. No gambling, just two free concerts: Lou Christie Saturday and Seels (of Seels & Croft) and Seels tonight. Excellent concerts,

Last edited:
I saw first hand how promoters and venues can kill off shows. My former home town back in NJ was and is the host for what is probably the largest consumer scuba show in the country. The first few years is was great. Everyone wanted to be an exhibitor in that show. But the promotors started upping the fees and setting unreal restrictions on the vendors paying to be there. The venue itself placed unreasonable fees on the vendors such as mandating that their people move all the displays, stock, exhibits, etc. They finally priced themselves out of the market and many vendors chose to stay home and not attend the show. I've seen it get smaller and smaller every year. The gun shows I've attended seem to be going the same way. The first few were unique enough that I would go just to look around. Now I go to maybe one or two a year and rarely find anything I need or really want.

I've been working both sides several years now. We thought this past weekends crowd was very good. There were alot of "nubbies" who had never been to a gun show before, plus show veterans who had legitimate questions. I tried to answer their questions giving the dealers at our location to do paperwork, call in NICS check, etc. I walk the show before it opens so when someone asks me "do you have" or "where can I get", I can usually direct them. Naturally there are the usual PIA who take up your time but never buy anything, but if they're civil, I'm civil. One out of a thousand will be an arrogant SOB feeling you should bow to their demands. But all in all, its fun and gets us old, fat, grey haired farts off the street. Unfortunately, I leave as much mucho denero at gun shows as the next guy. Everytime the anti's try to ban our guns, people go on a buying spree. Had they never found out they could make so much money off trying to ban 2nd Amendment Rights, the "gun culture" wouldn't be as big and strong as it is now. With so many new, young'uns coming to gun shows, the future may have a chance.[grin]

Seing John2's comments about kids. I did see alot of youth there on Sat. I made it a point to smile and say HI. There were three teen looking over an M1 and some Yugo, Turk and Persian Mausers. I warned them about starting that addiction. They were polite and seem appreciative of my time. There maybe a future yet.

I thought it was a pretty good show. Fate smiled on me, and they had "Maple Day" at Storrowtown on Sunday, so the wife and I walked the show for a couple hours (only bought some beef jerky and strike-anywhere matches; it's great on the wallet to bring the wife along!) and then went to the Maple Day. (BTW, that was pretty cool, and we followed it up with a lunch that was fit for a king).
My wife made a new friend, a nice lady that sat with her when they both got bored and let the men-folks out of their sight for a while.
The prices were fair, nothing outrageous, but nothing that screamed "Buy me now, before the dealer realizes what he's done!"
I probably met or at least passed some of you, but just didn't know it. If so (not that you would recognize me anyway), "Hi".

Back
Top Bottom