2x vs 3x fixed power optic

Hi all,

I am trying to decide between the Primary Arms Glx 2x fixed power optic vs the Slx 3x fixed power optic for an AK. Both micro prism optics use the ACSS reticle dialed in for 7.62x39/300BO and the majority of my shooting wouldn’t be past 300 yards. Anyone have experience with either, or any insight as to which might be a better option?

I can say the cantilevered mounts for the 3x break/bend very easily and you may want to look at a new mount. The shorter, less cantilevered mounts may be more sturdy.

The 3x does have a good bit more field of view and is lighter.

I’d probably go with the 3x, but look at another mount. Being mounted on an AK, maybe you’d need a different mount anyway.

A big selling point of the GLx line is they’re made in the Philippines. But the 2x prism is an outlier and is made in China with Chinese glass, just like the SLx 3x.

newbie question: are the cantilever mounts mostly 'universal' hole pattern???

They list the 2.5 as OOS and maybe they'll get more but I think they were just clearing
inventory pre-3x release

ProTip: Make *SURE* to Loctite the cantilever mount screws. At least on the 2.5, they
were NOT done at the factory

newbie question: are the cantilever mounts mostly 'universal' hole pattern???

They list the 2.5 as OOS and maybe they'll get more but I think they were just clearing
inventory pre-3x release

ProTip: Make *SURE* to Loctite the cantilever mount screws. At least on the 2.5, they
were NOT done at the factory

Not really any universal patterns.

But, all the current 1x, 2x, and new 3x Primary Arms prism optics use the mini ACOG mount pattern. And with PA using that pattern, it seems more mount companies are making mounts in that pattern.

Here are a couple:

And for those who like the tall boys:

Hi all,

I am trying to decide between the Primary Arms Glx 2x fixed power optic vs the Slx 3x fixed power optic for an AK. Both micro prism optics use the ACSS reticle dialed in for 7.62x39/300BO and the majority of my shooting wouldn’t be past 300 yards. Anyone have experience with either, or any insight as to which might be a better option?
This guy has really nice reviews. See if he has a review on that optic:

I can say the cantilevered mounts for the 3x break/bend very easily and you may want to look at a new mount. The shorter, less cantilevered mounts may be more sturdy.

The 3x does have a good bit more field of view and is lighter.

I’d probably go with the 3x, but look at another mount. Being mounted on an AK, maybe you’d need a different mount anyway.

A big selling point of the GLx line is they’re made in the Philippines. But the 2x prism is an outlier and is made in China with Chinese glass, just like the SLx 3x.
The cantilever wouldn’t be used any way. I’d be going with an RS regulate 300 series lower rail and a micro upper to mount the optic. The RS mounts sit optics very low atop the dust cover.

Do you find the 3x too much for closer range stuff say 25-50 yards?

Last edited:

Do you find the 3x too much for closer range stuff say 25-50 yards?

I mean, I’ve cleared buildings with a 4x ACOG. It’s doable, but not ideal and turns into reflexive shooting. At a certain point you can weigh the benefits of an offset mini red dot, depending on your use cases.

But 3x at 25 yards is perfectly fine, and 50 yards too.

I thought the selling point of AK's was that you can drag them across the Continental US behind a speeding freight train, then bury them 4 feet deep out in the clam flats, dig them up after 6 years, pour concrete in the action and barrel, and they'll still fire steel-cased ammo? Doesn't adding an optic negate that?

I thought the selling point of AK's was that you can drag them across the Continental US behind a speeding freight train, then bury them 4 feet deep out in the clam flats, dig them up after 6 years, pour concrete in the action and barrel, and they'll still fire steel-cased ammo? Doesn't adding an optic negate that?
The AK side rail optic mounts slide on and off in a matter of seconds. Plus i don't plan on treating my guns in such a manner so no worries here.
My general rule is to use the minimum magnification needed to not have your eyes be what limits accuracy. Good marksmen do very well with iron sights.
I’m pretty proficient with AK irons having only shot my AKs with irons for many years. I always like to master iron sights before moving on to optics.

What are you going to tell us next, SUVs are for off roading? 😂

PS just don’t drag your AK through New York.

I have 1x. Love it. Not sure if the 3x or 2x have different eye relief but the 1x is quite good. Doesnt matter how far fwd or back its mounted.
I ended up ordering the 2x, I couldn’t pass up on the sale. Doing some research told me it has great eye relief and really clear glass. It’s my first prism optic, can’t wait to mount it up!

Last edited:
I would prefer a 2 on an AK as it's not exactly a long range rifle.

I have one of those mini 1.5 acogs and I love that thing, I'd never go back to a 4x acog.

Back
Top Bottom