.223 for AR - Crimp or no crimp?

I think that's what the Speer manual had (plus they want you to use a magnum primer). I'm pretty sure Hornady was a lot lower.

Sorry- it wasn't Hornady... it WAS defintely Speer.
I didn't see the magnum primer thing... I didn't even know there was a small rifle magnum primer!

Edit I also got a longer COL from this manual- 2.215". Where the cannelure is doesn't matter if you don't use it. [wink]

Not true. The Lee FCD will actually add the cannelure to the bullet while crimping. Says it in the instructions, and I tried it to see if it were true.

You can't add a cannelure to a bullet that is already seated in the case. The case is between the die and the bullet so no contact can be made.

You can't add a cannelure to a bullet that is already seated in the case. The case is between the die and the bullet so no contact can be made.

I think they may be suggesting that by applying a strong crimp on the case... that the case will add a slight groove around the bullet.

The instructions for the Lee FCD say, not to worry if the bullet doesn't have a groove for crimping the bullet, as the die will create the groove for you.

The instructions for the Lee FCD say, not to worry if the bullet doesn't have a groove for crimping the bullet, as the die will create the groove for you.

I don't think we are talking about the same thing. The cannelure I speak of is a band of longitudinal grooves circling the bullet where the case mouth will contact it. These grooves give the brass someplace to go when crimp is applied, otherwise the pressure might deform the bullet. What you describe sounds like a crimp groove as in a revolver bullet.

I don't think we are talking about the same thing. The cannelure I speak of is a band of longitudinal grooves circling the bullet where the case mouth will contact it. These grooves give the brass someplace to go when crimp is applied, otherwise the pressure might deform the bullet. What you describe sounds like a crimp groove as in a revolver bullet.

No I fully understand what a cannelure is, though the Lee FCD will crimp and add a groove to the bullet (if it doesn't have one) at the same time without deforming the bullet.

By definition, adding a crimping groove or cannelure is deforming the bullet.

Are you trying to say that the deformation of the bullet won't matter for your particular application? I can agree on that.

B

I lightly crimp for the AR with a Lee FCD but I generally only shoot 55 grainers out of them over 25.1gr og 748. For the bolt guns, no crimp but make sure the the expanderball is giving you a nice fit. When I started neck sizing only for the 223 I was going crazy with loose bullets in the neck, until I read the instructions a little more and realized if I turned the die in a little more the collet would squeeze the neck just right and give me the proper bullet grip. Also don't some manufacturers secure the bullets in place with some type of adhesive?

I lightly crimp for the AR with a Lee FCD but I generally only shoot 55 grainers out of them over 25.1gr og 748. For the bolt guns, no crimp but make sure the the expanderball is giving you a nice fit. When I started neck sizing only for the 223 I was going crazy with loose bullets in the neck, until I read the instructions a little more and realized if I turned the die in a little more the collet would squeeze the neck just right and give me the proper bullet grip. Also don't some manufacturers secure the bullets in place with some type of adhesive?

Factory ammo has a neck sealant that weather proofs the round and provides neck tension. They also seal the primers.

Ok, thanks. I am starting to load 223.
I started at 24.3gr or H335, 2.210 OAL with the same Hornady 55gr. Haven't had a chance to test the loads out yet, though.

Glad to know there are others out there doing the same.
Steve

Finally got out to chrono and shoot my first batch of this load.
Rifle:
Rock River Arms 20" A4
1:9 Twist Chrome Lined

15 shot string:
Avg. Vel: 2864 fps
SD: 42 fps

My OAL was actually aroung 2.225" +/-.005"

I am pleased with the results. Time to make a crapload more.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom