.223 FEDERAL CASE Q?

I took a reloading class where the instructor said that Federal has unusually soft brass and isn't good for reloading. You may only get a couple reloads before the brass is no longer good.

I've found that the primer pockets loosen up quick with either headstamp.

If it's once-fired, go ahead and load it if you don't have to trim it, but I usually get two reloads out of it tops, so I don't like to put a lot of time into brass prep.

I have had the same experience with this brass; soft and not very durable. I have never had to trim this stuff so it works pretty well for short range matches (100 yds or less) where you won't get a chance to pick up your brass.

For some reason I was having a hell of a time priming the fc brass. It was like 1/10 would not want my rem 7 1/2 primers. They wouldn't seat properly or get smashed. I was priming them on my rock chucker but today I was doing everything the same way but with rem brass and they all turned out perfect? I just won't try to reload the fc brass anymore and stick to rem I guess.

I've found that the primer pockets loosen up quick with either headstamp.

If it's once-fired, go ahead and load it if you don't have to trim it, but I usually get two reloads out of it tops, so I don't like to put a lot of time into brass prep.

Yup, same here. Reload 1X and then it's in the scrap bucket.

For some reason I was having a hell of a time priming the fc brass. It was like 1/10 would not want my rem 7 1/2 primers. They wouldn't seat properly or get smashed. I was priming them on my rock chucker but today I was doing everything the same way but with rem brass and they all turned out perfect? I just won't try to reload the fc brass anymore and stick to rem I guess.

Were the primer pockets crimped?

I'm mostly finding that virtually all 5.56/.223 brass is crimped these days.

It's almost like they run the commercial brass on the same assembly machines as the mil stuff, and just leave the crimp station running.

I treat all brass, whether it says 5.56 or .223 Rem as crimped, and put it all through the swage/deburring system on the way to re-priming.

You probably found some primer pocket crimps on some of those Federals. Like Duke said, lots of .223/5.56 is crimped (FC, PPU, etc). I've never seen any R-P brass with crimped pockets, so it makes sense that your Remingtons primed OK.

I've never seen Prvi Partizan 5.56 once fired brass that wasn't crimped. The new Prvi brass (UNLOADED, in bags of 100) isn't crimped, of course. But every piece of once fired Prvi I have picked up at the range is crimped. It's pretty good brass. I have a lot of winchesters that are crimped, and also some RP's, and fc's.

Back
Top Bottom