.223 Case Size Question

boston_007

NES Member
Who here loads .223 for the AR-15 and would be willing to help a very new "reloader"? I would like to ask you a few questions regarding case neck size.

tap tap tap ... interested to know the question as I am looking at .223 in the near future for reloading.

yeah... I didn't see any questions posted. Are you curious about trimming? Diameter? It's hard to guess.

Just sent an im response to FGBF ;)
I am a new reloader, very new ;) and wanted to know the general consensus about reverse engineering a factory fresh LC M193 fmjbt and adjusting my own powder dispenser to throw 27.1 gr of mil. standard H335 powder. I have been reading Hornady, Lyman, and Lee books and all have different "safe" max loads for the .223 round.
I pressed my first round and adhered to the books as far as safe max but 5.56 vs. .223?

updated: addressed and resolved the case size question in the original topic. It was a beginners mistake on my part so now I have a powder question.

Read my PM.

.223 SAAMI and 5.56 military differ in pressure.

Never start at or near max.....start low and work up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I finished my first batch of reloads over the weekend and headed out to the range. I have to say I am very pleased with the results and groups of my handmades. Who knew it was so much fun!?!

Get ready to play around a lot until you find a combo you like or your firearm likes. Bullet, powder and case combo for just the right round can be a killer to find or you'll hit on the right one quickly. But it's fun testing the loads.

You are probably not going to get your best accuracy at the max velocity. Why do you want to match M193? I run a practice load using a load of AA2230C with Win 55gr FMJs and mixed cases that runs just under 2" at 100 yds. It is about 150 fps slower than the M193 that I have but accuracy is the same.

... wanted to know the general consensus about reverse engineering a factory fresh LC M193 fmjbt and adjusting my own powder dispenser to throw 27.1 gr of mil. standard H335 powder.

Don't bother. Way too much work for nothing to gain. Powder weight is about the least important variable contributing to accuracy. If you want to improve the ammunition, pull the 55gr ball and replace it with a better bullet. Sierra, Hornady, Nosler and others all offer bullets in the 55gr weight. I'd use Hornady or Sierra 52 or 53 gr bullets. It should improve your groups. Probably cut them in half or better.

B

You are probably not going to get your best accuracy at the max velocity. Why do you want to match M193? I run a practice load using a load of AA2230C with Win 55gr FMJs and mixed cases that runs just under 2" at 100 yds. It is about 150 fps slower than the M193 that I have but accuracy is the same.

The M193 is my preferred plinking round. Once I am familiar with the nuances of reloading that round consistently I will move on to my goal of matching the sub moa groups with a 69 gr. SMK that my rifle will shoot.

Last edited:
Don't bother. Way too much work for nothing to gain. Powder weight is about the least important variable contributing to accuracy. If you want to improve the ammunition, pull the 55gr ball and replace it with a better bullet. Sierra, Hornady, Nosler and others all offer bullets in the 55gr weight. I'd use Hornady or Sierra 52 or 53 gr bullets. It should improve your groups. Probably cut them in half or better.

B

The 55 Sierra GameKing or 53 Sierra MatchKing is a real nice 200 yard bullet out of any rifle I've ever had.
CJC

How many grains of 2230C ?

Back
Top Bottom