• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.223 Case Length Question

Patriot

NES Member
I figured I would start reloading .223 last night and setting up my sizing die (Dillon Carbide Die)
I ran through a few rounds (mil brass) and checked them with my case gauge. The go-no go
test is that there is a step in the gauge that the base(?) is supposed to fall in between in
order that it is properly sized (I think). Anyway the base of the case sits a skosh beyond
the face of the case gauge (see picture) and my question is, am I doing this correct. I
repositioned the die as best as I could a number of times to try to move the position and had
no luck. Any comments or help would be appreciated.

CaseGuage_a.jpg

I'm pretty new to this myself but I believe you have a resizing issue. Your example will not head space correctly. You would detect an over length case that needed to be trimmed at the other end of the gauge.

Like I said. I'm new and that is what my reading has lead me to believe. Wait for the more experienced folk to chime in.

I recently purchased the Hornady headspace measurment kit.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=479704
Instead of giving a go/ no-go reading, you can take an actual measurment.

You can also measure brass fired in your gun and set the shoulder back just enough to chamber in your rifle. This will help to minimize brass stretching upon firing and should increase your case life.

Steve

I'm pretty new to this myself but I believe you have a resizing issue. Your example will not head space correctly. You would detect an over length case that needed to be trimmed at the other end of the gauge.

Like I said. I'm new and that is what my reading has lead me to believe. Wait for the more experienced folk to chime in.

Interestingly enough the case, after sizing, on the bullet end, seems to be dead on as there
is another step on that end. I would figure that the resizing die sould adjust the shoulder
of the case to control the shoulder to base dimension.

Strangely enough... I've also noticed this with some cases- I can't remember the mfr- might have been S&B?... not sure what the cause is but in my situation the cases were trimmed properly so it must have had something to do with the shoulders. Maybe the cases "stretched" when the die pulled out of the case causing the body to get a tad long? I haven't reloaded 223 or any rifle round for a while but I'd LOVE to know what it is as well.

To figure out if it's sized enough, put a fired cartridge out of the gun you intend to shoot the ammo in and see how far it sticks out. It probably wont go in at all.

B

The length of the case should not increase as it is withdrawn from the die - certainly not the length from the base to the datum line on the shoulder. If the drag on the neck from the resizing ball is bad enough, in theory it can increase the OAL (i.e. at the neck), but in practice I don't think this happens much, if at all. I've done a bit of very carefully controlled testing with rifle cases and I've been unable to produce this phenomenon.

If the die is adjusted properly in the press, i.e., touching the shell holder, with an additional quarter turn or so to allow the press to "cam over," and the overall cartridge length is correct (I prefer to determine that with calipers, but your go/no go gauge should work), then the only thing left is an out-of-spec resizing die, which would be a real rarity if the die comes from Dillon or any of the major manufacturers, or perhaps the gauge is out of spec, which is equally unlikely.

Have you tried chambering the resized (but unloaded) cases? If the bolt closes fully and the OAL is OK so the bullet isn't being crimped by the chamber then you don't have a problem. Another thing worth trying is putting a new unfired factory round in the go/no go gauge and seeing where the base ends up.

in that pic you are right on the money.. i use the same guage... i have reloaded 2500+ with a dillon 550 and there dies.. i see a prob with the primer pocket looks like too much has been cut out (looks like it to me) might just be the pic... i use the dillon swager it is a great tool.. never a loose primer... i trim all cases to 1.751 lee case tool and holder.. some ARs are tight with dillon dies (load a round and then cycle the rifle it might be a bit tight but never a prob) have fun.... i know i do.... by the way i trim after all cases have been de-primed and sized (and of corse CLEAN)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom