.22 tube loading rifle

I would like some recommendations for an accurate .22 tube loader rifle. I have a friend with a couple of these, old ones, etc. he's found, so I know of a few that seem reliable and accurate enough, but any info is welcome. This is to be a 100yrd. paper puncher.

Originally I was looking at a savage with a magazine but for some reason I really like the the way these work.

I've never seen a real target rifle with a tube magazine.
Hanging a lot of junk off the bottom of a barrel is not a recipe for accuracy.
Gutting the forearm to make room for the magazine should pretty well eliminate the possiblity of any kind of proper bedding for the barrel.
All of this depends a lot on your definition of accuracy.
If you are happy with saucer sized groups at 100 yds., you might find a tube feeder that will suit you.

I've never seen a real target rifle with a tube magazine.
Hanging a lot of junk off the bottom of a barrel is not a recipe for accuracy.
Gutting the forearm to make room for the magazine should pretty well eliminate the possiblity of any kind of proper bedding for the barrel.
All of this depends a lot on your definition of accuracy.
If you are happy with saucer sized groups at 100 yds., you might find a tube feeder that will suit you.

Ok, in that case I'm going back to the magazine idea.

There are also tube feeders that feed through the buttstock. Mossberg made some and of course, the Rem Nylon 66. None of them are precision instruments, to the best of my knowledge.

Ok, in that case I'm going back to the magazine idea.
When you have a rough idea of what you want to buy, you might want to put a "WTB" here in the classifieds.
If you are going to want to mount a scope, be sure to specify that you want a gun that is drilled and tapped or dovetailed for same. I mention this because many of the older rifles are not set up to take a scope and gunsmiths are expensive.
If you are not too far from Palmer, you might also want to check with Nicks Sport Shop. He usually has a few used 22 target rifles in stock.

I have both a Marlin model 60 tube loader and a Ruger 10/22. Since day one I have had nothing but troubles with the Marlin. In my honest opinion if you want a great little .22lr go with the Ruger. They can be found used for a very reasonable price. Ad for acuracy... I was shooting tennis balls at 100 yds yesterday with very little effort. I love my Marlin because it was handed down to me etc. but shooting it is a real chore.
Good luck in your search!

I think I'm going to go with a mag fed for accuracy, then grab a tube loader just for fun.

I have a Winchester 190 that I've had since I was six. Granted I don't punch paper with it at 100 yards. I can easly hit clays at 100 yards with out any trouble. And that's a lot smaller than a saucer. Unless you're talking 4 inch saucers.

I also have a Marlin Golden 39A that also is pretty damn good at 100 yards.

Again, I haven't tried to group shots with it, but they shoot where I point them...and they do it with no effort.

Damnit, Now I'm going to have to find some time to see what my groups are like with these two rifles.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that they are going to be anything like my 10/22 or even anything close to my CZ 452 Ultra Lux.

But, I would like to think that they will do better than 6 or 8 inch groups...

I picked up a Marlin 60SB several months ago. It's had no malfunctions and seems at least as accurate as I am. I got a tube-feed because the price was right, it is one less part to deal with, and it is not subject to the MA EWAB. I might suggesting buying the 60, wring it out to see if it is accurate enough for you, and then if not keep it for a plinker and buy something else.

I also have a Marlin Golden 39A that also is pretty damn good at 100 yards...

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that they are going to be anything like my 10/22 or even anything close to my CZ 452 Ultra Lux.

But, I would like to think that they will do better than 6 or 8 inch groups...

C-Pher, your 39A and my Winchester 9422 should group at least as well as a 10/22 at 100 yards.

Also, the Marlin Model 60 was the worst rifle I've ever owned. By far.

I see a bunch of Savage .22 at my local place, I think I might try one of those heavy barreled accu-trigger jobs, unless he's got a used cheap tube fed, then I'll grab that and do what kevin said.

Back
Top Bottom