.22 Tactical Rifle - target shooting

RK1717

NES Member
Hello,

I was wondering about an inexpensive .22 tactical Rifle that I could use for just target shooting that wouldn't cost me $$$ to operate.
I went to one website and they actually showed me cost comparison of a .22LR vs a .223 and the ammunition cost difference was huge. here is the website: http://www.colt22rimfire.com/

Basically I was looking to shell out about $300-500 for a rifle that used an inexpensive ammunition so a day of shooting would cost me an arm and a leg.

Other than the Colt website and their rifles does anyone have any ideas or other suggestions for me? I'm new to shooting and firearms, that is why I am asking such a "bland beginner" question.

-RK

ya I bought a sig 522, grabbed as many black dog clips as the dealer had(4 total) two plus years and shot over 10,000+ rds. through it and "What a gun". I'm thinking of buying another so when I go out with a friend we don't have to share. Bought 4 more of those black dog clips w/a reloader actually bought two, they are 26 rounders and work great and screwed together for easy cleaning. looks cool and feels solid. Put a vortex dot sight on and pistol grip in front after installing the 3-4" picatinney rails I was good to go. Ammo is all cheap at wally world and others. I can't tell you how fun it is to shoot and Can't believe how accurate it is also. fun, fun, fun.
Tex

S&W M&P 15-22 or a Ruger 10-22 and trick it out yourself. The M&P 15-22 simulates the AR the best, the 10-22 is cheaper to buy at first but may cost more in the long run.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll definitely check out the M&P 15-22. I'd really like to pick one up used if the price is right.
Tex, I will keep my eye on the sig too. It looks nice.

I live in MA so dealers are limited. But I'm headed out to Natick, MA I here there are 2 stores out their with good people. But I'll tell ya, you google "Firearm stores MA" or "Shooting Ranges MA" and you get limited results. You basically have to be more specific, its like Google is anti gun or MA is just cracking down on everything "Gun".

Last edited:
Hello,

I was wondering about an inexpensive .22 tactical Rifle that I could use for just target shooting that wouldn't cost me $$$ to operate.
I went to one website and they actually showed me cost comparison of a .22LR vs a .223 and the ammunition cost difference was huge. here is the website: http://www.colt22rimfire.com/

Basically I was looking to shell out about $300-500 for a rifle that used an inexpensive ammunition so a day of shooting would cost me an arm and a leg.

Other than the Colt website and their rifles does anyone have any ideas or other suggestions for me? I'm new to shooting and firearms, that is why I am asking such a "bland beginner" question.

-RK

RUGER 10/22 T----the "T" stands for "Target". They come with an adjustable trigger and a nice bull barrel. They dont come with iron sights [angry], but I guess thats ok because people in America cant shoot with iron sights, so it makes sense.
It should cost you between $400-500. A lot of them come with adjustable (not collapsible) target stocks. I got one and replaced the trigger with a KIDD trigger. Not that their trigger is bad, I jsut love KIDD triggers.

Ruger 10/22 modded to your liking. But you can spend $400 easy on that. Mine drives nails though, my favorite rifle. People sometimes like shooting my 10/22 over my M&P-15.

10/22 T is a nice choice and most recommended. I have the takedown version (not T) and love it. If you want something more tricked out, check out the ISSC MK-22. A little $$$ at @ 550 but looking like a SCAR it is a nice cheap shooting rifle. Mine is flawless after 700 rds. So far has eaten everythin.

you should really do yourself a favor and skip the tactical mumbo jumbo and get a 22 with some soul that shoots well...like a marlin model 39A or even possibly a Browning BL-22...very accurate and hold copious roundage [wink] Even the pumps that mac1911 mentioned are wonderful, pump guns have a certain allure to them [grin]

you should really do yourself a favor and skip the tactical mumbo jumbo and get a 22 with some soul that shoots well...like a marlin model 39A or even possibly a Browning BL-22...very accurate and hold copious roundage [wink] Even the pumps that mac1911 mentioned are wonderful, pump guns have a certain allure to them [grin]

Marlin 39A's are tack drivers. Mine was built in 1957.

Sig 522 has the look and it really proforms. I let lots of people shoot it and people like it better than the S&W. I highly recommend it.

Back
Top Bottom