• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

22 rim fire recommendations

Oh, and skip the m&p if you plan to do an Appleseed, which you should 100% do if you want to learn to shoot your new .22.

They're currently banned for firing out of battery.

10/22.
If you can suppress it = even better.
If you don't want a dedicated integrally suppressed rifle, there's also the SB-X:
1022TD.jpg

efrpfc.jpg

With a 12.3" barrel (the shroud brings it to legal length), hypervelocity ammo will still go supersonic.

marlin model 60's? tube fed fun! I just enjoy it more than my 10-22, but as with anything It's all a personal thing.

if at all possible, head to the range with a brick of 22 this weekend. politely make some friends, Im sure there will be people there with 22's. see what you can try out. sucks buying something you then realize you aren't a fan of

I had a 10-22 as a teenager. Wanted to see how the new names and brands compare. I appreciate all the replies. Seems like the 10-22 is still popular.

What? OP asked about specific semi-autos and gets recommendations on bolt action. That's how it works here.

Can't go wrong with the 10-22.

I will derail the thread also...
CZ heavy barrel bolt gun. Several mags and several thousand rounds of SK match

I often wonder why people mod the 10-22's. Everyone does it, but wonder why, honest question. My Marlin 60 and 15-22 are dead accurate with just some peep sights, what do the mods get you?

To the OP, i like the 60 due to the 15 round tube. My 15-22 is just way to easy to empty. Is it worth the 5 extra rounds, maybe. I shoot the 60 more.

Generally the same reason why people mod up their cars. Mostly just because they can.

If you spend any time in RFC you'll learn a lot about the 10/22's shortcomings. It's a decent, reliable platform that needs help to do more than plink. Ruger makes a million of these and quality control isn't the best so tolerances are big. Barrel, receiver, trigger and stock are ok at best. Sometimes the pressed in barrel isn't really lined up perfect. Still runs.

not a hater. Built up a 10/22 for my son. Shoots great after trigger, barrel, stock, bolt release mod etc.

I often wonder why people mod the 10-22's. Everyone does it, but wonder why, honest question. My Marlin 60 and 15-22 are dead accurate with just some peep sights, what do the mods get you?
After you get a 10/22 and shoot a thousand rounds or so, you'll find things that you want to change, for function or for looks. At least with the 10-22 you can get parts to make whatever changes you need/desire.

Many mods are purely functional, like the bolt release and extended magazine release. And swapping out the metal buffer with synthetic buffer makes a perceptible difference (especially when shooting suppressed). Stock and optics is just about ergonomics or if you want to more closely approach the setup on your other, bigger, rifles.

I have a Walmart special S/S 22" barrel that shoots very well. The big complaint I always had with it was the 5 to 7(?) pound trigger. I changed it to a KIDD 2 pound single stage which made a huge difference for hunting squirrels and target shooting. I also added a polymer bolt buffer at the same time since it was cheep. It took me about 2 minutes to do the instals. Those mods were all it needed to make a good gun into a great gun. After that I kind of went crazy and put the barreled action into a new stock. ( Archangel AAP1022 Tan ) It has adjustable cheek rest and length of pull which makes it fit exactly to me. I didn't need the stock, but am happy I did it. I also changed a cheep Tasco 3-9 scope that didn't work correctly to a Bushnell RIMFIRE 3-12X40MM scope with a 4 flex reticule.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ProMag-Arch...055190?hash=item465a8f5b56:g:wP8AAOSwSv1Xj7CG

Look here to see the before and after pictures in POST # 37.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/333024-10-22-after-market-stocks/page4

Last edited:

To the OP, i like the 60 due to the 15 round tube. My 15-22 is just way to easy to empty. Is it worth the 5 extra rounds, maybe. I shoot the 60 more.

Availability and choice of parts to upgrade is a key driver. People get bored and it's easy to switch The 10-22 wood stock because it looks boring or the synthetic black stock because it feels cheesy. Just like regular ARs, way too easy to give it a makeover. There's always the counterpoint about buying something nice to being with then you won't need to make changes. Look at how many went cheap with a M&P AR15 and then subsequently spent more money to upgrade parts and free float the hand guard. The plastic receivers on the M&P 15-22 feels very flimsy like a toy. Adding nicer parts to it would be like souping up a '92 Camry.

It really depends on what you want. The model 60 had its day and still does in a way and IIRC still has out sold the 10/22 ?
why the mods never got as heavy for the 60 or better yet why has the model 60 owners not dived as deep into mods is really unknown.
there are plenty of mods for the model 60 its just not as popular to mod them.

Remember also 20 plus years ago people bought 2 kinds of 22s plinker/squirrels and such and then target rifles. Today people try to make guns do it all.

My model 60 is a fine shooter also and with wolf match can get down to 1.5 MOA if I do my part.

I have the trigger guard up grade. https://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=156307
trigger spring kit http://www.mcarbo.com/store/p/27-Marlin-60-Trigger-Spring-Kit.aspx
glass bedded the action and free floated barrel from the mag tube. Mag tube is bedded in silicone ? I stained the stock blood red with dye.

I was looking for a semi auto for plinking until John at Bron's gun shop showed me a really nice used Marlin 25N bolt action that I bought. It came with 2 7rd mags and I picked up 2 10rd mags off E Bay. Very fun to shoot and you fire less ammo having the bolt action over semi auto.

I have a 10/22 I like. If I were to do it again I'd probably have an MP 15/22 if the price was right. Then again I could just buy an AR style stock if I wanted for the 10/22.

The price, availability, and capacity of 10/22 magazines might swing it in that direction though.

I was looking for a semi auto for plinking until John at Bron's gun shop showed me a really nice used Marlin 25N bolt action that I bought. It came with 2 7rd mags and I picked up 2 10rd mags off E Bay. Very fun to shoot and you fire less ammo having the bolt action over semi auto.

less ammo is not really fun[smile] i have a glenfield 25 from when i was a kid (first gun) i shoot 22 short match out of it and its great. trigger is complete shit though.

I have a 10/22 I like. If I were to do it again I'd probably have an MP 15/22 if the price was right. Then again I could just buy an AR style stock if I wanted for the 10/22.

The price, availability, and capacity of 10/22 magazines might swing it in that direction though.

the AR kit for the 10/22 is a bit ugly and just doesnt look right. i like the tommy gun kit but its to expensive for just dressing it up.

Fickle. Fashion. Ego. People like to doll things up to "personalize" them. Kind of like shiny chrome rims on cars.

Performance. Sure, a Savage can do more out of the box, but building it up yourself is more satisfying, especially to justify the spending over $20 more on a newish rifle.

That said, I picked up a used 10/22 for $100. I did the bolt-holdback heart shaped thing, and smoothed the trigger myself. I prefer the hardwood stock, though it is a bit smallish for me. The sights leave a lot to be desired. Eventually, I will pick up a Sweet 22 type of scope for it.

just my 2c here. take or leave as one likes:

stock 10/22's are functional but almost everyone dumps $$ into upgrading them. and in that case one is always stuck with the craptastic Ruger pot metal receiver of the stock 10/22. so I would at least consider going with an upgraded "10/22" up front, like the Tacsol X-ring or a Magnum Research MLR-22. I have the Magnum research rifle and the build quality is amazing. the aluminum receiver looks like a piece of art. it also weighs under 5 lbs even with the hogue stock. the Tacsol and MR rifles are more expensive but I can say with certainty that upgrading a stock 10/22 quickly becomes more expensive and the final product isn't nearly as cool as having a fully machined aluminum receiver, graphite tension barrel, etc.

http://www.tinstarshootingrange.net...numlite-semi-automatic-22-long-rifle-17-hogue
http://www.magnumresearch.com/Firearms/Magnum-Research-22LR-Hogue-OverMolded-Rifle.asp

Right now Carl (four seasons) has some tactical solutions takedown 10/22's. those are nifty and some come already with the magpul takedown stock which is simply fabulous.

--

A marlin model 60 should also be on the radar. fantastic shooters. mine is a plain jane model wearing tech sights (peep aperture sights) and it's a great little 22 autoloader.

I have a tactical solutions Xring.. Carl knows how to twist my rubber arm..
Hands down the best 22 I've shot. Dime sized groupings with good ammo. It's a perfect compromise between the 295$ ruger 10/22 and the 3000$ anschutz mega target rifles. I've been shooting the heck out of mine. Easily 1K rounds through it. I've fed it everything from thunderjunk to stinger. Really well made bolt.. Dual spring. I bring it everytime I'm at HSC.. so do ask if see me and you want to try it.

Good groupings
Fed automatch
CCI mini mag 36 grain
Velocitor(not just good, but amazing, this stuff makes the gun better than I am).

Stuff that didn't do as well
Stinger(surprising)
Thunderjunk
Ar Tactical 22

Fickle. Fashion. Ego. People like to doll things up to "personalize" them. Kind of like shiny chrome rims on cars.

Performance. Sure, a Savage can do more out of the box, but building it up yourself is more satisfying, especially to justify the spending over $20 more on a newish rifle.

That said, I picked up a used 10/22 for $100. I did the bolt-holdback heart shaped thing, and smoothed the trigger myself. I prefer the hardwood stock, though it is a bit smallish for me. The sights leave a lot to be desired. Eventually, I will pick up a Sweet 22 type of scope for it.

Put a Nikon prostaff with bullet drop reticle and it's a whole new rifle.

I have a 10/22 and a M&P 15-22

I love them both and for different reasons. If you had to choose, the 10/22 is much more versatility. And so much aftermarket options for it. I might get a second one to toy with. The M&P is a good way to practice some AR stuff on the cheap. But the 10/22 is a better platform for most anything else.

I have both, and agree with chris. You are better off with a 10/22 in the end.

Back
Top Bottom