.22 Plinker Pistol Recommendations

I'm thinking about getting a nice 22 pistol, I don't currently own one. I do have a conversion for a 1911. I'm leaning towards a ruger 22/45, and i just know ill throw every available after market part in it.

I always ask
What is good accuracy for plinker pistols 4-6 moa?

mechanical accuracy of most pistols is probably much better than we can shoot, practical accuracy is where i see wild swings due to sights, grip, site radius and your personal preference. 4-6 moa is probably a good goal in that area

I always ask
What is good accuracy for plinker pistols 4-6 moa?

The very best target pistols have an advertised accuracy of 1.5" at 50 yards. That is 3 MOA, and that is the very high end of accuracy for repeating pistols.

The factory guaranteed accuracy for service pistols is typically 4" or 5" at 25 yards. That is 16 or 20 MOA. Note that most service pistols shoot quite a bit better, typically around 3" at 25 yards. But the guaranteed accuracy determines when the pistol would be considered defective and repaired under warranty. And 4" at 25 yards exceeds the ability of most shooters by a wide enough margin that it is sufficient for almost all purposes with a handgun.

I would expect a plinking grade .22 pistol to be capable of 3" groups at 25 yards. This would be with ammo that the pistol likes, and it might do worse with a random selection of bulk ammo.

I have had a 617, model 42 and a Mark 3 22/45.

I STILL have the Mark 3 and love that gun. Added the volquartsen accurizing kit and fiber optic sights. Could not recommend it enough.

Have given that one serious thought, please post a review after you get it to the range.
Posted

Honestly, there are so many Ruger Mk II's and III's on the market because people want the EZ Mk IV takedown,
that you can find good deals on these fantastic pistols.
You only have to take the time to learn its assy/disassy, which is not as hard as everyone whines about...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom