• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.22 Carry Ammo question?

After you get over laughing at my choice of caliber, does anyone have any opinions on what the most reliable and effective ([rolleyes] ) ammunition would be. This would be fired from a 3 inch J frame.

.22 carry ammo

Well since its going in a wheel gun reliability simply means it goes bang which almost any quality ammo will work. As for stopping power,[thinking] I'd look for high velocity stuff. I got a bunch of steel cased russian .22 years ago and some of them just won't go pop no matter how many times you hit them.

How about a lead-weighted grip so when you throw it at them, it might hurt them? [laugh] [rofl] [laugh2]

Stingers are the only thing that I can think of that might make someone say "ow" just before they beat you to a bloody pulp.

I read a Mario Puzo book where one of the mobsters cut an X in the tip and rubbed his bullets in garlic. He said if a guy was hit with one of those, the garlic would poison him!

Might work for you!

How about a lead-weighted grip so when you throw it at them, it might hurt them? [laugh] [rofl] [laugh2]

Stingers are the only thing that I can think of that might make someone say "ow" just before they beat you to a bloody pulp.

AW come on now. Even the good Colonel (may he rest in peace) was of the opinion that a .22 to the ocular cavity will do the job.
Placement is more critical than caliber. [wink]

I think they come with a free pair of running shoes too-YOU'LL NEED THEM!![smile] [rofl]

Last edited by a moderator:
In the movie Diva, I remember the hit man had .22 with explosive bullets. Wonder where you can get those ? [smile]

To paraphrase the Late Col. Cooper:

"If you shoot a man with a .22 and he finds out about, he'll get very mad."

If you must carry a .22, fill it with CCI Stingers.

It's the only gun (SW317) I have that's really small enough to be suited for CCW without wearing a heavy coat. I can't conceal the Glock 22, Sigma, or SW520 without one.

It's the only gun (SW317) I have that's really small enough to be suited for CCW without wearing a heavy coat. I can't conceal the Glock 22, Sigma, or SW520 without one.

Well, I understand where you're coming from but I just think there are much better options that could be as easliy concealed with better results. Many of the small framed .380's come to mind. Even some of the ultra compact .45's would be as easy to conceal as a .22.

I just suggest exploring more options.

There's nothing funny about getting shot with a 22.

My brother was shot to death by a drunk with one.

The guy walked in to the wrong apartment waving it around. He had been drinking in another apt. in the building and started a fight. They threw him out and he went to his car and got a cheap saturday night special.

He then went in to the wrong apt and started shooting. My brother Michael rushed him and took numerous shots to the chest.

He was 6, 2 and 225 pounds he never made to the Quincy hospital. He was dead on arrival.

Any caliber gun is deadly.

There's nothing funny about getting shot with a 22.

My brother was shot to death by a drunk with one.

The guy walked in to the wrong apartment waving it around. He had been drinking in another apt. in the building and started a fight. They threw him out and he went to his car and got a cheap saturday night special.

He then went in to the wrong apt and started shooting. My brother Michael rushed him and took numerous shots to the chest.

He was 6, 2 and 225 pounds he never made to the Quincy hospital. He was dead on arrival.

Any caliber gun is deadly.

Yes, I agree any caliber is deadly. A friend of mine whom I served on my SWAT team with was killed with a .22 (in the line of duty). I don't take it lightly. The point here is that there are much better choices for self-defense.

Are you sure about that? What have you used as a carry rig? For me, that was the whole key, and I've got a drawer full of holsters I tried before I figured out what worked, which is a good belt (Wilderness Instructor), and for me, CTAC holsters, which I now own three of and counting. When I got the CTAC, my problems went away. I routinely carry a full sized P99/.40 in the summer, dressed in shorts and a tee shirt, and while mountain biking, and have never been made. My three carry setups follow, my P99, my 1911 (which I haven't carried yet -- too new), and my Airweight. What you can't see in the pictures is how close to my body these guns are. The P99 handle prints very slightly when I bend over. The 1911 is much more stealth, but sits higher. And, with the Airweight -- forget the heavy belt, a cheap Walmart belt is fine. I wore that setup every day at my contract job -- hey, they never even handed me a print of the company policy, I was just a temp.[smile]

P99:

p99_carry.jpg

1911:

1911_carry.jpg

And the Airweight .38:

637_carry.jpg

There are two issues here. One is ability to kill, the other is ability to stop. Maybe three if you add in the ability to deter by pointing this at the person you think is going to hurt you. I'll ignore that for this discussion.

There is no question that a .22 or several of them can kill. They worked very well on this man, http://tinyurl.com/2lqaj2 . It took about 20 minutes for him to go from asking us if he was going to be okay to being dead at the Mass. General.

On the other hand, had he been armed with his own gun OR been a big enough guy to fight the man who killed him, he could have done so for at least several minutes before he lost enough blood to make a difference.

Vellnueve, if this is your only choice, it's better than nothing. However, if you think that you are going to be calm enough to aim and hit someone in the eye with all the Adrenaline flowing through your system I wish you the best of luck. Even if you hit someone in the eye, there's no guarantee that you'll kill them instantly. I've treated at least three people shot in the head with .38 caliber or larger rounds who were able to run away from where they were shot. None lost consciousness, none died.

I think what LenS, TonyD, and the others are saying that you might well kill your attacker with a .22, but he might well live long enough to kill or hurt you.

Gary

John Salvi, John Hinkley, and Sirhan Sirhan all used 22 cal to do serious damage, just to name a few.

(Mama) Cass Elliott was killed by a ham sandwich, it doesn't mean that you should carry one for self defense.

I hate posts like this.

Do you carry a .22? Do you recommend carrying a 22? How many people that were shot by a .22, if armed, would have been able to get a shot off at their attacker? Most? Yup, I think so. Nice going, way to encourage people to carry the wrong caliber.

If you're going to carry a gun, you want a caliber that will stop the fight, not one that will kill someone by infection eventually; because you'll be dead by then.

Look, before you post it, we all know that shot placement is paramount, and that "a .22 in the hand is better than a .45 in the safe". Yeah, yeah - that's obvious. Duh. You could also kill someone with a pellet gun if you got lucky.

But posts like that allow newbies that will read this to justify carrying a caliber that will likely get them killed, should they ever need to use their gun.

I've actually had able-bodied adult males use the same argument that you used to justify carrying a .22. You know why? Because they read it someplace! Like, oh I don't know, ...maybe ... IN A POST LIKE THAT!!!

The only time a person should be carrying a .22 is if he/she is:
  1. Physically unable to shoot a better caliber
  2. Impecunious to the point where a better alternative is out of the question
  3. A little girl that's scared by the noise

I'm assuming that vellnueve is asking for a friend/relative that fits into one of the above categories.

EDIT: I just realized that I used "impecunious" in a sentence. HAH! Take that Scrivener!

Last edited:
Mama Cass self inflicted.

Yes she did. She's got nobody to blame but her fat self. However, if someone reads your post and thinks to themselves, "If this ham sandwich I'm eating doesn't kill me, I think I'll carry a .22 because as Kendall-op correctly pointed out, it worked for Salvi, Hinckley, and Sirhan F**king han. Then their demise would not have been entirely self inflicted, they will have had some help from you.

Yeah, .22's kill more people than any other caliber, but the majority of people that are killed by a .22 are unarmed, and they die later.

And we all (probably) know that the .22 is the mob's caliber of choice. However, when the mob kills someone, they're usually tied up, on their knees, crying like Nancy Kerrigan. If I'm ever going to use my carry handgun, it's not going to be against a bound, defenseless, bleating victim. If I ever have to use my carry gun, it will be against someone that has the ability and inclination to kill me right there on the spot. Would you recommend a .22 under those circumstances? If a murderous meth-addled Randall "Tex" Cobb look-alike was charging at you with a machete, and you had a .22 or a more powerful caliber in front of you, which one would you pick up? If your answer is not "the .22", then why are you providing evidence that could cause someone to make the wrong choice?

Vellnueve, get yourself a S&W 642. It's the same size and weight as a 317, but it's hammerless and chambered for a .38 Special +P.

Mama Cass self inflicted.

No need to follow suit.

Last edited:
After you get over laughing at my choice of caliber, does anyone have any opinions on what the most reliable and effective ([rolleyes] ) ammunition would be. This would be fired from a 3 inch J frame.

CCI Stinger or Velocitor.

I have to agree with EddieCoyle, though. IMO a "weak" .38 SPL load is going to fare better than 22 RF will.

-Mike

Last edited:
The only piont I was trying to make is a 22 can be FATAL, would I carry a 22 of course not,but you carry what you have 45, 22,knife, whatever you have and hope its enough.

You really do need to reconsider:

- TeleMark is right on about the "system" of gun, belt and holster.

- The C-Tac's are great for IWB.
http://www.comp-tac.com/
http://www.gunnersalley.com/product/COMPTACCTACSLIDE - Gunners Alley highly recommended vendor.

- Gary Brommeland makes superb holsters that are great for hugging the body. My 1911 in a DEF-CON (OWB) hugs the gun in extremely close to the body but doesn't try to dig in under my vest (as some others do). You do need an over-garment for cover. He also makes IWBs that others swear by.
http://brommelandgunleather.com/index.htm - shows IWB tucked in real close
http://brommelandgunleather.com/index.htm - DEF-CON

A Smith and Wesson 340 or 360 is quite small and especially lightweight. I think they are as concealable as any .22 handgun. If concealment is your goal this is clearly the way to go. The only problem is shooting them--they are a handful... Nevertheless, the five rounds of .357 (or .38+P if the .357 is too much) is preferable to any .22 load produced anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom