• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

21 killed, 18 injured in shooting at elementary school in Uvalde, Texas

those lawyers got no guts.
a 27 trillion would sound much more dramatic. or why even trillion - a 27 quadrillion. why to limit ourselves?
I would love to know how they crunched those numbers. Looks like they are going after everyone.
My only concern is Daniel Defense after what happened to Remington after Sandy Hook

I would love to know how they crunched those numbers. Looks like they are going after everyone.
My only concern is Daniel Defense after what happened to Remington after Sandy Hook
Doesn't really matter, the only people who are going to pocket real money are the lawyers. This is going to take years to litigate.

Uvalde school district suspends entire police force, superintendent to retire amid fallout from shooting​

Uvalde school district suspends entire police force, superintendent to retire amid fallout from shooting - ABC News (go.com)

The Uvalde, Texas, school district -- still facing withering criticism over its police department's failings both during the May 24 elementary school massacre and since -- announced the suspension of the entire district police force on Friday.

Hours later, Uvalde school district Superintendent Hal Harrell announced he would be retiring. There was no timeframe given for Harrell's retirement, but the transition will be discussed in a closed session of the school board on Monday.

The district said it's requested more Texas Department of Public Safety troopers to be stationed on campuses and at extra-curricular activities amid this department suspension, adding, "We are confident that staff and student safety will not be compromised during this transition."

The length of the school district police department suspension is not clear.

Uvalde school district suspends entire police force, superintendent to retire amid fallout from shooting​

Uvalde school district suspends entire police force, superintendent to retire amid fallout from shooting - ABC News (go.com)

The Uvalde, Texas, school district -- still facing withering criticism over its police department's failings both during the May 24 elementary school massacre and since -- announced the suspension of the entire district police force on Friday.

Hours later, Uvalde school district Superintendent Hal Harrell announced he would be retiring. There was no timeframe given for Harrell's retirement, but the transition will be discussed in a closed session of the school board on Monday.

The district said it's requested more Texas Department of Public Safety troopers to be stationed on campuses and at extra-curricular activities amid this department suspension, adding, "We are confident that staff and student safety will not be compromised during this transition."

It’s the right thing to do but far past due.

Actually on second thought the cops turning in their badges for being absolute cowards would have been the right thing to do.

They should be run out of town IMO.

Actually on second thought the cops turning in their badges for being absolute cowards would have been the right thing to do.

Honestly in that kind of case the governor or somebody should be able to inactivate them make somebody else the defacto police force (maybe sheruffs dept? Or dps) and actually shut down the entire department for a year.....

You want to make sure you follow whatever due process is in place. I know it sucks that it took so long, but if you violate due process, you end up having to bring them all back on duty. With back pay.

Best to keep all the ducks in a row, even if it takes a long time.

Honestly in that kind of case the governor or somebody should be able to inactivate them make somebody else the defacto police force (maybe sheruffs dept? Or dps) and actually shut down the entire department for a year.....
Local PD, ISD PD, DPS, and Sheriff's deputies were all guilty here.

You want to make sure you follow whatever due process is in place. I know it sucks that it took so long, but if you violate due process, you end up having to bring them all back on duty. With back pay.

Best to keep all the ducks in a row, even if it takes a long time.
As opposed to paying them until a verdict is reached, and allowing them to keep the $$ even if found guilty? I don't get that courtesy if I am accused of illegal activity at work, not does the company need to wait for a conviction to stop my paycheck.

As opposed to paying them until a verdict is reached, and allowing them to keep the $$ even if found guilty? I don't get that courtesy if I am accused of illegal activity at work, not does the company need to wait for a conviction to stop my paycheck.
The evil of public sector unions.

I don't get that courtesy if I am accused of illegal activity at work, not does the company need to wait for a conviction to stop my paycheck.

I'm sure. But that's between you and your employer.

I don't know what the Uvalde police contract says; none of us do. But following its provisions is the only reason I can see for this kind of delay. It has been obvious since the day this occurred that those officers needed to lose their jobs, and I think the school committee knew that very well.

I'm sure. But that's between you and your employer.

I don't know what the Uvalde police contract says; none of us do. But following its provisions is the only reason I can see for this kind of delay. It has been obvious since the day this occurred that those officers needed to lose their jobs, and I think the school committee knew that very well.
True, same with public employees. Those who we hire to negotiate on our behalf have done a terrible job with things like this.

True, same with public employees. Those who we hire to negotiate on our behalf have done a terrible job with things like this.
As a guy who has actually done some of those kinds of negotiations? I couldn't agree more.

But due process clauses are pretty standard across the board these days. That idea isn't usually up for negotiations.

As a guy who has actually done some of those kinds of negotiations? I couldn't agree more.

But due process clauses are pretty standard across the board these days. That idea isn't usually up for negotiations.
When there is an accusation for a firing offense, the money should be held in escrow and only paid out if the person does not beat the termination.

When there is an accusation for a firing offense, the money should be held in escrow and only paid out if the person does not beat the termination.

Got a petition I could sign for that? I love that idea.

There's no shortage of good ideas for improving this kind of situation, but the bottom line is that barring some sort of criminal conduct (criminal in the eyes of a court, not the common-sense eyes of NES), termination's probably always going to include some form of due process in a union situation, whether private or public. Arbitrary termination is a big part of why employees unionize in the first place.

The steps are usually spelled out pretty clearly. If the employers don't follow those steps, bad things happen down the road.

ABFT

They deserve far more than to be run out of town.

80 minutes of failure, 80 minutes of terror.

They acted with unspeakable cowardice, thus they deserve unspeakable punishments.

Even if I worked another shift and wasn’t on duty that day, I couldn’t imagine not quitting. Looking the townies in the eye would be unbearable

If you live in or around Uvalde completely ignore the PD - blue lights behind you should get the flying finger of fun - make them as uncomfortable as possible. Businesses refuse service, gas stations shut off the pumps when a police car pulls up - you get the idea. Completely silence, ignore and treat with contempt.

$27 BILLION LAWSUIT
There's gong to be some hurt feelings when this lawsuit is dismissed. As disgusting as the cowardice and lack of response was, the question of duty will come up. AERTT protocol doesn't seem to establish a "duty". This case is going to get Twomblyed in the Iqbals.
6a00d8341bfae553ef0120a69ecce6970c-220si

Back
Top Bottom