• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

21 killed, 18 injured in shooting at elementary school in Uvalde, Texas

An hour and twenty minutes, free to kill all the little kids he felt like killing without facing any resistance from law enforcement cowering outside. Disgusting.

1653680655305.png

And, I've posted this before, I firmly believe it.
Rule #1 are words to live, (or die), by.

I don't expect children to live by these rules,
but adults should. When life goes sideways, it's up to you to deal with it.

killhouse rules.jpg

Cops didn't have bulletproof shields and shooter was barricaded in classroom shooting at them. Cops were in building but decided not to try breeching door until BORTEC arrived with shields. Why they didn't shoot out windows from outside and toss in smoke, tear gas is an unanswered question. Storming, attempted breeching of room without shields could have resulted in dead cops, perp had 1300rds on him.
Doesnt matter, he was an active shooter. SOP for active shooter still applies regardless of there defensive situation.

Ventura County was like that for me in my youth. Lots of open land to go shooting and we did- a lot! My brother and family plus in-laws just bailed for Texas, but all of my remaining family and friends are conservative and don't subscribe to all the bans. I know some rural and semi-rural areas where it is well known that the Sheriffs Dept could care less about all the restrictions that the libtards vote into law. Folks openly use standard capacity mags etc. even if a cop or two are using the range. I've seen similar here in Mass. Don't do anything stupid and it's not a problem. Do something stupid- it will be an add-on charge. Of course it should not be illegal period...
I'm right on the Ventura Co. line.....like a tenth of a god damned mile into LA county.....sucks.

I know there's a big outdoor gun range in the Topas just above Ojai. and out in the desert you can pretty much do whatever you want on BLM land.

Millions of dollars spent on tanks, SWAT teams, armored vehicles, training, police built like the Army......and in the end, another Parkland, everyone ignored the shooters threats, the shooter walks right in, police take up positions outside, 1 hr passes, and an off duty border patrol agent walks in a kills the shooter, the the papers bash the NRA and the rest of us.....I'll keep saying it, this country is sliding into madness.

I hope nothing happens to them. After all, they were the ones that got the job done. Despite their training, though, did they have any jurisdiction?
IANAC, but there has to be a policy that someone (first on scene / locals / other) are in charge so that you don't have disconnected teams roaming around uncoordinated shooting each other. For reference, the Watertown Marathon Bombers shootout, where much of the damage seems to have come from friendly fire.

If that's SOP for an active shooter in a school full of kids then it was written by a complete moron.
AFAIK there is no point at which an active shooter turns into a barricaded suspect. I believe the SOP is once an active shooter, always an active shooter. The DPS director said not moving on shooter was the wrong decision, so I'm going to assume that that is the SOP.

"Desperate to get his daughter and wife out, he made a plan with other officers to try and enter the school and evacuate as many students as possible."I’m so angry, saddened and grateful all at once. Only time will heal their pain and hopefully changes will be made at all schools in the U.S. and teachers will be trained & allowed to carry in order to protect themselves and students,” he wrote."

Poster-Man for the NRA’s "Good guy with a gun" 2022 campaign.
I've always said, my old agency won't be a poster child for confiscation.

I almost never carry, but this incident is changing my mind. Now to find a shoulder holster for my FK Brno.
I always carry my G19 but do I now need to carry my AR and a bunch of mags in my vehicle? As previously stated my 5 yr old grandson goes to kindergarten next September and I'm conflicted about what I do if I have to pick him up.

You wait until the perp has enough time to barricade themselves. Use that as the excuse ... among the many other rationales.
This is sounding like the election lawsuits. Bring a lawsuit before the election, case dismisses, not harm done. Bring it after the election, laches.

From police to judiciary the entire legal system in the US is a complete shitshow.

One straight forward thing is stuck in my head......1 hour........

Me too.

Remember that scene in Saving Private Ryan, where Mellish is getting slowly stabbed to death while Upham waits outside in the hall and doesn't go in?

I hate Upham during that scene, and they're just actors playing a role. These, what, 19 "trained LEOs" did the same exact thing, and it was real people dying. It almost defies belief. Good thing my expectations for my fellow human beings are already pretty low, or I'd be nonfunctional today...

IANAC, but there has to be a policy that someone (first on scene / locals / other) are in charge so that you don't have disconnected teams roaming around uncoordinated shooting each other. For reference, the Watertown Marathon Bombers shootout, where much of the damage seems to have come from friendly fire.

There was one person in charge, the UCISD chief. He appears to have been inadequate to the task in this case, to say the very least.

Unity of command is a key principle, you're right about that. But that assumes the commander is able to make the right call, or at least A right call. This guy was not. As soon as he or anyone else realized he was in over his head (maybe around the time some wounded kids started making 911 calls, perhaps?) he should have stepped aside or been superseded. By someone more competent.

Tried, that's no go. They live in affluent town and are highly educated.

My kids go to school.

Millions of others do as well, and they thrive if they've got active and engaged parents and a good mindset. School shootings are vanishingly rare. Remember that. And also remember that schools will develop even better SOPs after this.

But obviously it's a hard choice, and I can't imagine being a grandparent who's more clued in than the parents. I sympathize.

They were kept out by order of the local commander for 35 minutes, so nothing. They were likely pissed beyond belief.
Correct, IC is in charge and cops were given instructions and followed Chain of Command. Was there a big fail all the around? YES! Must wait for final AAR to assess blame and corrective action, story/facts keeps changing which is normal in these situations.

I always carry my G19 but do I now need to carry my AR and a bunch of mags in my vehicle? As previously stated my 5 yr old grandson goes to kindergarten next September and I'm conflicted about what I do if I have to pick him up.

AR and two mags, (in case of malfunction). You're not looking at an extended firefight, you're just trying to up your handgun to a longarm.

And in the trunk, or rear compartment, cased is fine. Your pistol will get you to your rifle if you need it.

Frankly, if you're picking up your grandson and it goes bad, get the kid in the truck and LEAVE. Get him to safety first then decide what you're doing next.

Cops didn't have bulletproof shields and shooter was barricaded in classroom shooting at them. Cops were in building but decided not to try breeching door until BORTEC arrived with shields. Why they didn't shoot out windows from outside and toss in smoke, tear gas is an unanswered question. Storming, attempted breeching of room without shields could have resulted in dead cops, perp had 1300rds on him.

My understanding is that the classrooms involved did not have exterior windows.

Well this is interesting: sure enough there are gaps in the police scanner archive and the recordings that are there for the shooting time period are empty recordings (no activity at all). Example:

View attachment 620496

Broadcastify will themselves pull stuff. Take note of the timestamps. If the PD suddenly switched to mobile phones or a different frequency, there would be no gaps.

Those gaps are the feed HOST removing things their TOS says they can and will remove.

My kids go to school.

Millions of others do as well, and they thrive if they've got active and engaged parents and a good mindset. School shootings are vanishingly rare. Remember that. And also remember that schools will develop even better SOPs after this.

But obviously it's a hard choice, and I can't imagine being a grandparent who's more clued in than the parents. I sympathize.
I pick kids up twice a week at daycare and always carry, parents half the time don't even lock their doors. I flip out and daughter rolls her eyes. She should know better since I've been carrying since 1990 and over 20yrs in Army as a grunt. Daddy's Father is a hunter and owns 1911's and I've told my son-in-law if he gets his LTC he has choice of any of my handguns. He just shrugs his shoulders.

Anyone willing to cut the cops some slack on this need to pick up their mobile phone and set an alarm to go off an hour from now. Then imagine that during that entire time, from the minute you set it to the minute it goes off, there were a bunch of cops sitting outside, "setting up a perimeter" and handcuffing parents, while kids and staff were being executed inside. An hour is an eternity.

Shame on all of the cops involved, whether they were "just following orders" or giving the orders themselves.

Can anyone answer my question on the active shooter SOP in that once an active shooter is declared that that designation and thus SOP doesn't change until the shooter is in custody or eliminated?

Because if that is the SOP, then it is irrelevant if the shooter is barricaded or not, police have to go in and face the bullets to take out shooter ASAP.

While that is true, that same captain I am 100% certain would run in there alone and make the attempt if there were children in there even if he was sure it would cause his own death. The situations are not the same, and those cops sitting around and not doing the right thing own a lot of blame if the news I am seeing is true.
As it turns out, at least my old guy(s) did the right thing, while off duty it seems. At least one of them. That whole department needs a cleansing if all of this is true.
AFAIK there is no point at which an active shooter turns into a barricaded suspect. I believe the SOP is once an active shooter, always an active shooter. The DPS director said not moving on shooter was the wrong decision, so I'm going to assume that that is the SOP.
It turns into a barricaded subject when he's barricaded and normal entry methods don't work. But someone should have been right outside the door/hallway to seal him in there, worst case. It appears no one did that either.

I pick kids up twice a week at daycare and always carry, parents half the time don't even lock their doors. I flip out and daughter rolls her eyes. She should know better since I've been carrying since 1990 and over 20yrs in Army as a grunt. Daddy's Father is a hunter and owns 1911's and I've told my son-in-law if he gets his LTC he has choice of any of my handguns. He just shrugs his shoulders.

Here's what I'll say. "Hypothetically."

There are thousands of CCW carriers who pick up their kids from school every single day. I'd wager there are very few (unless there's a metal detector or something) that un-ass their firearm before entering the school to pick up the kid.

I've been picking up kids for 12 years now at various daycares and schools, and I'll be doing it for at least ten more. Hypothetically, IF I was carrying when I've done so, I'd never imagine leaving the gun in the car just to enter the building for a pickup.

Concealed means concealed.

I’m baffled by the 45 minutes waiting while kids were texting them and calling them saying we are being killed help us. I can’t wrap my head around any rational reason.

That's what I am grappling with.

If I understood the timeline, there were nineteen officers in the hallway, standing outside of the two involved classroom/s, during which time a teacher and/or students in each of the classrooms were calling 911 to report on the state of the situation.

During a few of these calls to 911, shots from the suspect are heard occurring from with the classrooms, which leads me to believe there were a number of persons still alive inside the classrooms, all the while nineteen officers are standing in the hallway?

Seriously, that's eff'd up. I can't fathom these nineteen officers being able to sleep at night.

Can anyone answer my question on the active shooter SOP in that once an active shooter is declared that that designation and thus SOP doesn't change until the shooter is in custody or eliminated?

Because if that is the SOP, then it is irrelevant if the shooter is barricaded or not, police have to go in and face the bullets to take out shooter ASAP.

[Texas DPS director Steven] McGraw then outlines what the correct action should have been: “When there’s an active shooter, the rules change. It’s no longer a barricaded subject. You don’t have time. You don’t worry about outer perimeters. And by the way, Texas embraces active shooter training, active shooter certification.

“That doctrine requires officers, we don’t care what agency you’re from, you don’t have to have a leader on the scene. Every officer lines up, stacks up, goes and finds where those rounds are being fired and keeps shooting until the subject is dead. Period.

Back
Top Bottom