• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2022 Fishing Thread

Wow what an insane afternoon of striped bass fishing. Probably the best bass fishing ever. All monster bass as far as you could see. Biggest one I caught was 43 inches and well over 30 pounds. My dad got a couple 49 inchers earlier in the day on his charter. I’ve never seen such fat stripers - bellies were about to pop 😂
View attachment 638076View attachment 638075View attachment 638077
Hey, that's cheating! (Generations of fishing expertise...)

Awesome fish!

Going out with a buddy tonight for commercial striped bass fishing. Super pumped. Leaving at around 10:30 and come home by 4 - assuming we don’t fill the boat before then. 🤞🏻
Used to love going out at night with my dad when I was younger and when I used to fish down the cape with a friend.
I’ll be a zombie at work but it will be worth it

Going out with a buddy tonight for commercial striped bass fishing. Super pumped. Leaving at around 10:30 and come home by 4 - assuming we don’t fill the boat before then. 🤞🏻
Used to love going out at night with my dad when I was younger and when I used to fish down the cape with a friend.
I’ll be a zombie at work but it will be worth it
Caught some slobs. Fishing off the beaches with eels they hit like freight trains.
35" 38" and the remaining 4 were 44-45" pushing 35 pounds. Lost a giant one that my buddy couldn’t get to the boat. Just kept running and then eventually pulled the hook. It was a blast until the pea soup fog rolled in at 3am 😂 BAB3C04A-661D-4A70-8A65-D63D8BECA50D.jpeg 9B3236ED-4116-46F9-9567-AA39718D03CC.jpeg 87006100-1403-40CD-BBC3-A0B05B8E66B2.jpeg

Nice work on the Stripers Andrew, I was out this AM as well. We were setup for tuna, but didn't have any strikes except this one decent striper. I had to throw it back as we were recreational fishing and it was way to big. Beautiful Sunrise.

Attachments

• striper.jpg
    striper.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Sunrise.jpg
    Sunrise.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 24
Nice work on the Stripers Andrew, I was out this AM as well. We were setup for tuna, but didn't have any strikes except this one decent striper. I had to throw it back as we were recreational fishing and it was way to big. Beautiful Sunrise.
That's a nice one!!
Where do you fish out of?

Caught some slobs. Fishing off the beaches with eels they hit like freight trains.
35" 38" and the remaining 4 were 44-45" pushing 35 pounds. Lost a giant one that my buddy couldn’t get to the boat. Just kept running and then eventually pulled the hook. It was a blast until the pea soup fog rolled in at 3am 😂 View attachment 639296View attachment 639297View attachment 639298
Went out Tuesday night and caught our limit of 15 fish. Also confident to say I caught the heaviest/fattest striper ever (I’m 6ft for reference). Not the longest (very close tho) but the heaviest. About 46" and belly ready to pop. At least 40 pounds. Had the drag locked up tight and he was still taking line.
CA4FF473-BF62-4335-A3F3-4AE59BF13F0D.jpeg 373BE371-9143-4608-91E6-BEA3F28B4281.jpeg E3F33023-882A-409D-81CD-82666A92A872.jpeg 845F0DAB-E8D5-4127-AB3C-266DD17B93DC.jpeg
Then went out after midnight and caught another 9 jumbos. Smallest was a 35” and the rest were 42-45" and 30-35 pounds. Just insanity. Boats everywhere fish everywhere.
The fish buyer was loaded up. Tons of fish to sell.
2E47E7EC-3007-42B5-B8B2-8D08B17208E2.jpeg 4F04314E-0E22-4929-AE23-EAB70645FEF5.jpeg
Now home at 5am I need some sleep. Lot of work cranking these monsters in.

Went out Tuesday night and caught our limit of 15 fish. Also confident to say I caught the heaviest/fattest striper ever (I’m 6ft for reference). Not the longest (very close tho) but the heaviest. About 46" and belly ready to pop. At least 40 pounds. Had the drag locked up tight and he was still taking line.
View attachment 640059View attachment 640060View attachment 640061View attachment 640062
Then went out after midnight and caught another 9 jumbos. Smallest was a 35” and the rest were 42-45" and 30-35 pounds. Just insanity. Boats everywhere fish everywhere.
View attachment 640063View attachment 640064
Nice and congrats!

Makin' me hungry...

I was listening to Meat Eater this week. An interesting factoid they they threw out on teh podcast - of the 6 million # of striped bass caught last year in the Northeast, 5 million was recreational fishermen.

Wow!

I was listening to Meat Eater this week. An interesting factoid they they threw out on teh podcast - of the 6 million # of striped bass caught last year in the Northeast, 5 million was recreational fishermen.

Wow!
Shame on you- I was going to bust Andrew's balls for depleting the striper fishery. [laugh]

On a serious note, I'm surprised the rec harvest is that big. Are they counting all the poachers from NY and NJ?

Nice and congrats!

Makin' me hungry...
Shame on you- I was going to bust Andrew's balls for depleting the striper fishery. [laugh]

On a serious note, I'm surprised the rec harvest is that big. Are they counting all the poachers from NY and NJ?
LOL. Yeah that's an impressive harvest. I'd love to know if all of the fish are going to restaurants. I doubt that as even in Gloucester, I don't see it offered on the menu very often when my wife and I go out to eat.

And anyone who says the striped bass population isn't doing well, I would say that's bs based on what I'm seeing/catching [laugh]
The waters off Salem to Rockport (I haven't ventured any further south) are loaded with fish.

And anyone who says the striped bass population isn't doing well, I would say that's bs based on what I'm seeing/catching [laugh]
The waters off Salem to Rockport (I haven't ventured any further south) are loaded with fish.
When do you think the big Ditch will be hot? I'm in the mood to tell googans it's no longer their rock as long as I'm on it.

Anyone have a crap quality salt rod and reel I can use to cast across other people's lines? I'll be the nice guy and cut my line off so they can untangle. While they do that I'll pick up my good rod and fish.

[devil] [devil] [devil]

I'm sure they factor in the overcatch. Plenty of that going on in RI and MA as well.

What we see and what the whole fishery sees are two different things. I know the Fed's concern right now is the Delaware/MD basin. There is fishing allowed in there during the summer and they do a smaller slot. Because all of the BIG fish are up North during the summer. But they're finding the stocks of smaller growing fish (which you need to keep the growth continuing) are falling. Expect DE/MD summer restrictions starting next year to the wailing and gnashing of teeth of outfitters and such down there.

I was thinking about this while listening to the episode as well - the herring #'s have come back massively in the last decade or so as well. That likely has something to do with the # and size of stripers we find in our waters. I assume that stripers eat herring.

I'm sure they factor in the overcatch. Plenty of that going on in RI and MA as well.

What we see and what the whole fishery sees are two different things. I know the Fed's concern right now is the Delaware/MD basin. There is fishing allowed in there during the summer and they do a smaller slot. Because all of the BIG fish are up North during the summer. But they're finding the stocks of smaller growing fish (which you need to keep the growth continuing) are falling. Expect DE/MD summer restrictions starting next year to the wailing and gnashing of teeth of outfitters and such down there.

I was thinking about this while listening to the episode as well - the herring #'s have come back massively in the last decade or so as well. That likely has something to do with the # and size of stripers we find in our waters. I assume that stripers eat herring.
As sure as Howdy Doody having wooden balls... [rofl]

Possibly. Though up here there’s been a fair amount of pogies (or menhaden for you south shore guys) and mackeral too.

Son in Law caught the FATTEST 33" Striper I've seen in a while View attachment 618823yesterday on the Westport River. It was Dock Day at the lane and after, he and this old guy go fishing in the dude's boat. All caught a keeper this time, his being biggest. He didn't weight it. It was HUGE!

He had a nice dinner last night. And probably tomorrow night. And Tuesday. And Wednesday. And likely Thursday.

View attachment 640059View attachment 640060View attachment 640061View attachment 640062
View attachment 640063View attachment 640064
Awesome.

Back
Top Bottom