• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2015 Tax Free Weekend

Would like to get another AR. I know I can get that tax free in NH any time, but it's a good chance to support your favorite LGS.

Lc9s possibly

edit: dry fired one today and hated the trigger. Yeah it's light now but it's complete mush with no wall/consistent break.

Last edited:
OK. I understand the handgun buying because... well... it's Mass.

What I don't understand is the hard on people get for saving 6.25%. I just don't see the logic in that when I'm 20 minutes from the border and the internet has millions of deals with free shipping and no tax.

What I don't understand is the hard on people get for saving 6.25%. I just don't see the logic in that when I'm 20 minutes from the border and the internet has millions of deals with free shipping and no tax.

Not everyone is 20 minutes from the border. Big ticket items like kitchen & laundry appliances, lawn tractors etc are worth your while to save on especially if it only costs you 5 minutes of your life and 1 dollar of gas to get there. The internet doesn't always have the best savings and driving to New Hampshire to shop isn't all it's cracked up to be unless your buying land or fireworks.

These are such a joke. If anything its a reason to have stores raise prices because you think you're getting a deal and really you're getting shit. But whatever, sweat the tax if you want.

These are such a joke. If anything its a reason to have stores raise prices because you think you're getting a deal and really you're getting shit. But whatever, sweat the tax if you want.

Good day to buy guns, cause unlike Best Buy, most gun stores will let you do the transaction a few days early to avoid the crowds.

It's not the actual savings that people get exited about, it's the satisfaction of NOT giving the greedy government hacks a dime more than you're otherwise forced to.

It's also a boost for the retailers on the RI, CT, NY and VT borders, because it's the one weekend of the year that people from those states drive into Mass to go shopping.

What's really funny is how the gov has people programmed.

Is 6.5% really that much of a deal breaker for you guys ?

No but it can be a decent amount of money if you plan well.

We were renovating our kitchen and as a last minute thought I decided why not pre-pay for the countertop, tile for the floor and backsplash on that weekend. We did it all via prior visits and Email on the magic day, but considering it was ~$8K expense (unsure how much was labor however), it was a considerable savings last year.

This year I don't have any real plan, so it might just be some small stuff at Costco, where there are no ridiculous lines.

I've prepaid a brand new snowblower and it will be delivered after the holiday.
By doing this I'm saving $200. And yes I did spend that much for a snowblower.

What's really funny is how the gov has people programmed.

Is 6.5% really that much of a deal breaker for you guys ?

Is anyone saying that it's a deal breaker? Seems like a nice perk for items people planned on purchasing otherwise.

We're going to look at some furniture that we had planned on buying anyway

I'm planning on picking up a Ruger 10/22 at the LGS for the Tax-Free Weekend, unless something else happens to catch my eye before then, which is always a possibility.

Sadly some places don't honor that law and charge tax anyway. There are threads here about it.

This^

I argued with the customer service people about this at BJ's in Waltham, I even gave them the exact MGL Chapter and section, but they wouldn't budge. So I canceled the sale and went to Lowes in Framingham, where they knew the law and didn't charge the tax.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleIX/Chapter64H/Section6

See paragraph subsection "rr".

We planned purchases for remodelling our house around the sales tax holiday. On windows, lumber, appliances, etc all totaled we saved thousands on purchases we were going to make anyway and could not buy online or practically in NH.

don't forget, BY LAW, you are to claim those purchases made online and out of state that you did not pay taxes, so that you can be taxed accordingly

Back
Top Bottom