2015 Tax Free Weekend

I guess I won't be going to that store...

- - - Updated - - -

One thing you can count on....every day of your life someone is out to scam you
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by mac1911
Start checking prices....put a deposit on one now. I noticed nice new stickers on all the products @ the 2 stores I went to last year and yes there where several products marked up from the week prior I was in.
For me the general hassle is not worth it.

i don't go to stores that do that - like North Shore Firearms, prime example.

I might get a GSP EXPERT. That should save me around $120 in taxes.

I never bought a gun from out of state that needed to be shipped to an FFL. I was told the store has to collect taxes when doing the transfer. Is that correct?

Nope, not correct. They are providing a service (transfer) which is a NON-Taxable event. Likely they are pocketing that tax as there is no legitimate way to report it and pay it to the state for a merchant. Translation: Any dealer that does that to you is scamming you.

I might get a GSP EXPERT. That should save me around $120 in taxes.

I never bought a gun from out of state that needed to be shipped to an FFL. I was told the store has to collect taxes when doing the transfer. Is that correct?

I have. And no. No part of that transaction is taxable. Not even the transfer fee should be taxed. So essentially all tax free day does even for pistols, is save a transfer fee. And you get to see touch feel before u buy. But in general better deals are to be had off the internet. Another reason why I don't waste time waiting in high volume deli lines to buy a gun.

I'm not all that concerned about the 6.25% savings, I just think it's a good reason to go out and buy another gun...

This....I bought a VP9, with 3 mags and night sites brand new. $650. Yes it helps to save 40 bucks tax and not have to pay a transfer fee. Put money down on it and will finish the transaction on the weekend. Maybe it's cheaper somewhere else like FS, but I'm not waiting or driving far at all. Lines aren't a problem where i shop, even on tax free day. Especially Sunday....in and out, just like any other day.

It's $680 at FS, $650 is a killer price.

I'm staying the hell away from the stores. Because the 6% isn't worth the time I would spend in line. I can buy tax free online anyway - 365 days a year.

Good time to support your LGS. And sometimes the best deal is local, like a VP9 for $570 at FS, tough to beat that online. Other than that I agree, easy to go online or to NH.

These are such a joke. If anything its a reason to have stores raise prices because you think you're getting a deal and really you're getting shit. But whatever, sweat the tax if you want.

EXACTLY... People come flocking on tax free day... funny that none of the stores seem to have any sales on those days....

Oh let me rush to save 6%... Never mind that last month the same store offered a door buster sale of 15% off on the same items... I just let that pass without a thought...

john-carnemolla-flock-of-sheep-in-roadway.jpg

Last edited:

I don't think there are many business that don't mark it up 20 down 10 for special days[hmmm]
So between now and then track a few of the items in your store of choice for a few weeks.
Let's see what stores are doing it....

We are doing a tax free weekend sale.

Buy any item over $400 get $25 off,

Also buy any item at all and get entered in the H&K VP9 giveaway.

we conduct about 10-12% percent of our business on the tax free weekend, we have presold 35 sheds already....

A bodyguard 380 for 259 at four seasons is pretty enticing already, and tax free sweetens it further... Save for a glock or impulse buy??? Or buy a fun .22 pistol? These choices will ruin me.

I need to reseal my driveway So im buying the buckets of sealer that is about it. had I not went on vacation i really wanted to get an sp101 will just have to save a bit longer

I've been a bit "liberal" [laugh] with my purchases lately, so I will not be buying any guns or accessories this tax free weekend. I'm stating this for personal accountability. Some of the guns I will not be buying include but are not limited to:

FN SLP
Mossberg 930 SPX
Savage bolt action .308
Ruger 10/22
22lr pistol of some sort
H&K VP40
Glock 22
Micro dot red dot sight
1000 rds of anything

Last edited:
I've been a bit "liberal" [laugh] with my purchases lately, so I will not be buying any guns or accessories this tax free weekend. I'm stating this for personal accountability. Some of the guns I will not be buying include but are not limited to:

FN SLP
Mossberg 930 SPX
Savage bolt action .308
Ruger 10/22
22lr pistol of some sort
H&K VP40
Glock 22
Micro dot red dot sight
1000 rds of anything
based on your report it is more probable than not that some type of purchases will occur

Cell phone stores will make out like bandits. They charge full price retail tax on free phones, this weekend will be great for them.

Should be tax free online in theory, if you say, buy something from Cabelas for store pickup. Or Amazon.

It is tax free on any online order that is normally taxed. Buy something online at lowes, home depot, cabelas, amazon, etc. on Saturday or Sunday and it's tax free.

Last edited:
It's not the actual savings that people get exited about, it's the satisfaction of NOT giving the greedy government hacks a dime more than you're otherwise forced to.
yep, 40-45 bucks in my pocket is better....you all know the rest

Well I saved >$400 thanks to the tax free weekend!

I had been shopping for a new push/self-propelled mower for getting near the house/trees, etc. due to my Wife cracking the transmission on our >10 yr old Honda when hitting a large boulder in the yard. Wasn't happy with the design/reviews of what was out there. So the onset of the tax free weekend motivated me to take apart the gears to the rear wheel drive on the Honda and we now have a push mower that works great at no cost! If it weren't for the tax free weekend, who knows when (or if, it's sometimes easier to replace something rather than tinker with it) I would have been motivated enough to solve this problem cheaply. [laugh]

After range duty at BR&P yesterday, I headed to Costco in Avon for some previously scouted items (all on sale). Parking lot was very full but navigating the store and cash registers was no problem (other than morons who "park" carts blocking entire aisles, but those people do that every day)! Saved another ~$22 in tax (and $50 on sale item pricing) for 5 4' LED workshop lights (replacing all fluorescents) and a router.

Wife now wants to go cruise around Westwood Station (new incomplete shopping area). Not looking forward to that (hate shopping malls) but it is her B'day weekend, so I have to keep her happy.

My 2 cents, tax free of course.

Timing was perfect, just got our licenses so needed to buy some toys anyway. 6.25 is not a deal breaker but if you're in the market any way why not. Was going to buy AR15 in NH with bunch of ammo. Instead purchased AR15 from Mass Firearms who are local and support this forum. Win win all around, pick up two Glocks which have to be purchased in MA anyway. Ammo, 223,9 & 380. Started on my reloading room. While the tax free weekend was taking place there was some sweet deals to be had from dealers fighting for their share.

Supported a couple of LGS rather than chains, saved some money on stuff I already wanted and didn't line up once, although I send my apologies to the old lady with the walker I shoved aside.

harry

Well I saved >$400 thanks to the tax free weekend!

I had been shopping for a new push/self-propelled mower for getting near the house/trees, etc. due to my Wife cracking the transmission on our >10 yr old Honda when hitting a large boulder in the yard. Wasn't happy with the design/reviews of what was out there. So the onset of the tax free weekend motivated me to take apart the gears to the rear wheel drive on the Honda and we now have a push mower that works great at no cost! If it weren't for the tax free weekend, who knows when (or if, it's sometimes easier to replace something rather than tinker with it) I would have been motivated enough to solve this problem cheaply. [laugh]

After range duty at BR&P yesterday, I headed to Costco in Avon for some previously scouted items (all on sale). Parking lot was very full but navigating the store and cash registers was no problem (other than morons who "park" carts blocking entire aisles, but those people do that every day)! Saved another ~$22 in tax (and $50 on sale item pricing) for 5 4' LED workshop lights (replacing all fluorescents) and a router.

Wife now wants to go cruise around Westwood Station (new incomplete shopping area). Not looking forward to that (hate shopping malls) but it is her B'day weekend, so I have to keep her happy.

Saved $400 on sales tax? What did you buy?

Back
Top Bottom